skulkingfox

Shot a man in Stary Sobor, was I right to do it?

I spawned in for a quick session before I took care of a few errands for the day and I find myself right where I should be. I'm at the North hill of Stary Sobor with my M16A4 ACOG rifle and I'm ready to do some scavenging around the Military Tents for supplies. However, within a few seconds of spawning in I hear gunshots down in Stary, just south of the military tents. I took a quick scan of the town through my scope but I was unable to find the source of the noise and so after a few moments I elect to rummage through the tents despite the potential danger.

A few minutes later I find myself looking through the tents when I hear more gunshots of the same kind near my position but the source is nowhere within my visual range. So, I start broadcasting on Direct Comms

"Whoever's firing in Stary Sobor, are you friendly?"

"If you are in Stary Sobor, acknowledge me,"

Alas, no reply. I take a look through another tent but a crawler hears me and I find myself having to dispatch him with a round from my G17 before running back to the North Hill. I go prone, whip out my M16A4 ACOG and then I spot him. A survivor with aviator glasses dragging a couple of zombies to the tents. I noticed that he was carrying a pistol with what appeared to be an M16 ACOG with an M203 strapped to his back. He takes out the zombies himself before I can help him out and so I moved down the hill as subtly as possible before broadcasting once again

"You down there at the tents with the M16, are you friendly?"

Again, no reply. I even left a text message of the above in the Direct Comms chat but even that went unacknowledged and, so I reasoned that this man must thereby be a Bandit and so, he has got to go. I wait for him to run out of one tent and to another in a South to North direction before planting a round low in his back on the left side where the lung ends. He continues his run into the tent but moves on down the line to the West side of the military tents before hiding in one of the tents with the doorway facing me. Big mistake. I shuffle over gently but so much so that I am now out in the open and out of the woods. However, I'm no fool. I shuffle over just enough so that I can see a bit of his right arm and I manage to hit him again. He's bleeding badly now and he knows he's in trouble. He decides to throw a smoke grenade but it's of no help to him as it's a green smoke and therefore it doesn't create the plume of smoke that would best conceal his location. It does draw a few zombies to the green smoke and one of them gets even more interested in my gunfire as I plant three rounds in the tent to keep him suppressed but the zombie is quickly put down with a burst to its chest. I turn back to the tent and looking through my scope I can see that my target is popping off a few rounds while looking through the scope of his M16. Now I can only figure

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Strangely, I'm not panicked by this returning volley and so I calmly fire one final round into his face. He hits the ALT+F4 function after hitting the ground and his body disappears but that's when I noticed my murder count go up. Not my Bandit Kill Count.

I feel justified by my actions and thrilled by the fact that someone had the gall to shoot back at me but I don't consider myself a band it. I did my best to open up a line of communications with this guy and I received no answer. This made me believe he was a threat to other survivors and so I dispatched him myself, but what do you think? Was I in the wrong? Was there anything else I could have done to try to team up with this player? Or am I only trying to justify my position in this simulation of a survivor's Heart of Darkness?

TL;DR? I killed a guy who failed to respond to my requests to identify as friend or foe. Turned out he wasn't an official bandit. Was I still right to shoot him?

• Like 2

You clearly had the right reasons to not trust him. Perhaps something was faulty on his end or maybe he didn't understand English (It's entirely possible). I see nothing wrong with this.

• Like 1

If he does not declare intentions, especially after being asked to do so, he is to die.

Then again, I`m not the best moral compass.

• Like 1

Judging from the fact your victim insisted on venturing into the Stary Sobor tents after

A: Multiple voice comms requesting he declare his intentions at the risk of being considered hostile and therefore shot/killed.

B: Multiple chat messages requesting his intentions at the risk of being considered hostile and therefore shot/killed.

C: Ignoring the sound of your G17 when you killed the zombie in the tents

You throughly exhausted your non-deadly options before being forced to protect yourself, I commend your proper use of force.

• Like 1

didn't read.

cool story... NOT

what's up with people talking about how they killed somone. Instead of doign the alpha testing...

Guys start being useful and report bugs.

I have been playing on a russian server lately so I have had to learn a tiny bit of russian to survive, but overall it's a good idea to learn some quick phrases in other languages, even if its just "Hello, don't shoot" Those words could be the difference between hearing someguy shout nonsense at you and hearing recognizable words horribly pronounced in a weird accent.

To be honest though you handled that situation pretty well. Although if I was in that position I would have simply let him go and live his life without my interference, but I guess that's just my overlycautious mind being afraid of friends watching eachothers backs.

• Like 1

didn't read.

cool story... NOT

what's up with people talking about how they killed somone. Instead of doign the alpha testing...

lol 12 year old doesn't know what alpha means.

PS Alpha is not just about fixing bugs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback on this you guys, I appreciate it. It's always interesting to get the outside perspective on these scenarios and I'm glad to see my actions as having been deemed appropriate by fellow survivors.

I have been playing on a russian server lately so I have had to learn a tiny bit of russian to survive, but overall it's a good idea to learn some quick phrases in other languages, even if its just "Hello, don't shoot" Those words could be the difference between hearing someguy shout nonsense at you and hearing recognizable words horribly pronounced in a weird accent.

To be honest though you handled that situation pretty well. Although if I was in that position I would have simply let him go and live his life without my interference, but I guess that's just my overlycautious mind being afraid of friends watching eachothers backs.

Interesting idea, Scribe. I'll definitely take a look at some Russian phrases just in case.

didn't read.

cool story... NOT

This is a Survivors Forum. If I wanted to report bugs and glitches then I'd take it to the bug forum. Furthermore, player narratives giving detailed scenarios, atmosphere and environments are just as important than any glitches or bugs.