money544

What do you guys think about the L85A2 AWS?

I got one recently off an already dead player.

Great at night. Fine as a scoped assault rifle. I think if people remember its shit past 300 they shouldnt think its that bad.

For someone that doesn't have nvgs,

Beats the hell out of a torch.

I like to think of myself as more of a glass half full kinda guy.

Edited by moofactory

Like somebody already said, should be removed from game.

Or it could be eventualy issued to those players, that have absolutely shitty eyes and need a crutch to be able to play.

It is not about balance. It is not about being over powered. It should be the most coveted piece of kit in the game.

It is not a good primary!

The FOV while using it scoped is bad.

The weapon can be zeroed but doesn't seem as accurate as other assault rifles.

It is not SD and agroes zeds, so it is not the best secondary weapon either.

Its large scope reduces FOV in first person.

Target acquisition with it is poor.

Switching between NV, IR, and normal vision takes time to adjust and leaves you vulnerable.

The Positives

It has IR

It takes Stanag rounds

I watched a squad of six experienced players with 2 of them get wiped out a couple of days ago. Admittedly, there may have been stream sniping involved.

The mod is not supposed to be fair.

If the L85 didn't exist, there would be calls to remove the AS50 ... oh wait.

If the L85 and AS50 didn't exist, there would be calls to remove the M107 ... oh wait.

If the L85 and AS50 and M107 didn't exist, there would be calls to remove sniper rifles ... oh wait.

If the L85 and AS50 and M107 and sniper rifles didn't exist, would there be calls to remove MGs, or SD weapons?

The problem is the effect duping the item has, not the rarity. For the majority of players, getting an L85 still has them jumping around like little kids on christmas morning.

There are bigger issues to worry about than the tiny percentage of players with an L85.

Edited by osirish
  • Like 3

It is not about balance. It is not about being over powered. It should be the most coveted piece of kit in the game.

It is not a good primary!

The FOV while using it scoped is bad.

The weapon can be zeroed but doesn't seem as accurate as other assault rifles.

It is not SD and agroes zeds, so it is not the best secondary weapon either.

Its large scope reduces FOV in first person.

Target acquisition with it is poor.

Switching between NV, IR, and normal vision takes time to adjust and leaves you vunerable.

The Positives

It has IR

It takes Stanag rounds

Osirish's Points

The Negatives

#1 It is not a good primary! - It’s not meant to be used as a primary; you should have another gun in your pack and switch around.

#2 The FOV while using it scoped is bad. - As are almost all scopes. From my experience the L85 is one of the better FOV scoped guns.

#3 The weapon can be zeroed but doesn't seem as accurate as other assault rifles. - Same answer to #1.

#4 It is not SD and agroes zeds, so it is not the best secondary weapon either. - There aren't many SD guns, however; the audible range is only 80meters which is average for the assault rifles.

#5 Its large scope reduces FOV in first person. - Better then running with an AS50.

#6 Target acquisitions with it is poor. - Not sure what you mean but being able to obtain a target with it is extremely easy.

#7 Switching between NV, IR, and normal vision takes time to adjust and leaves you vulnerable. - I have no trouble going from normal vision to IR. It’s only apparent when changing from NV straight to IR or normal to NV but then that's the same as just putting on NVGs

The Positives

#1 It has IR - That is the whole point of using the L85.

#2 It takes Stanag rounds - It's nice they are rare but you should carry more sniper ammo around instead.

Personally

The L85 is the best weapon in combination with a sniper rifle and team work gun in the game. You should never use it as a primary weapon but should keep a sniper rifle or assault rifle in your bag to switch over once you have spotted a target. In my group of friends we have two of us using L85's (Found from crash heli's and killing people).

The best way to use the L85 is to go to the outer edge of towns overlooking them (Make sure you are < 250meters out of the town, so you don't spawn Zeds) then watch the town with the IR as soon as you spot a heat source from a Zed, you can scan the area and be able to find someone. Once you've spotted them, either you or your friend can switch to their sniper rifle and kill the target. Another good point about the L85 is the laser targeting with NVG's makes it ideal for team work at night.

Edited by Nemish

I really don't think the L85 deserves all the hate. Just like the M4A1 CCO SD excels at not revealing your presence, the L85 excels at spotting and scanning areas. Don't expect it to do everything just as well as other guns. It is decent at being an assault rifle.

Also, its scope is not more broken than being able to prone on a hill all ghilied up and oneshot players at 1400m range.

Btw, half of the community complains about OP high-end military gear and wants it gone, the others cry for more content, variety and lategame stuff...

I'm just glad Rocket does his own thing with this mod.

found a few of them in a camp yesterday, unacurate as fuck but ill just spot with it

Kinda reminds me back when I was playing Battlefield 3.

There was that thermal optics you could add to primary rifles...and guess what, like 90% of people were using it,because it was so easy to spot people with it.

Why can't you do overwatch with normal binoculars or gun scope instead?

I will answer that, its because its piss easy to spot people with thermal and you can later on brag how big cojones you got for pwning those n00bs with AK's and Winchesters ;)

Regarding .50 cals, I would be happy if they really were rare and have also rare ammo.

You should be forces to count the bullets,not spray them on some poor surv with alice pack and shotty.

Sadly with duping, neither of it is the case and for some reason Rocket put M107 ammo also to deerstands, military zeds, sometimes even in firestation etc, which does not make much of a sense.

Edited by Hombre

it's an SA80. the worst actual serving military gun of all time

Water? nah don't like it = jam.

1 grain of sand? nah don't like it = jam.

mud? nah don't like it = Jam.

high temperature? nah don't like it = jam.

this is how the L85's think.

Regardless of how subpar the gun is its attached to, thermal should be removed from DayZ. Thermal is ridiculously OP.

As much as i enjoy it for solo sniping as a secondary weapon i think it should be removed.

Lame gun, just takes the fun away from the game.

It's like knowing where everyone is in a firefight. Aim to the white shilouette and shoot.

I think it needs to be removed from the game. it renders the stealthy, patient approach pretty much useless since they can see you coming regardless.

Until that happens, though, it is pretty much mandatory gear for the spotter/security member of a sniper team.

I agree, having owned a few in my time, I do like them a lot, but believe that they should be removed as they are over powered for a survival game.....

Its a bandit spotting weapon or a poor survivor ass raping machine!

Edited by RyBo

Thermal is great for scouting. It is one of the three primary weapons I carry (Along with AS50 and M4A1 CCO SD). The gun, however... well I wouldn't trust it to kill a boar...

Using the L85 frequently as the spotter in my groups overwatch team, the op complaints are just really whining.

Thermal scope is the draw to it, though it is easily countered by walking behind something, glass, a bush, a tree. If you aren't in LoS the thermal won't see you.

The effective range is 300m, 200m if you use SD rounds in it. If you get killed by an L85 at plus 300m you would have been killed by just about anything else.

The scope takes up a large portion of your first person FOV, you can only hip fire in CQC because of the scope as well.

Carrying the L85 with a sniper is not the most effective method to take out targets but if you can be seen by an L85 you can be seen by everything else, sniper rifles can see through glass though so that's a one up on the L85.

L85 is basically the counter to ghillie suits, if everyone was forced to play with shadows on, Ghille's are practically invisible, hard to spot from a distance when using an M24 or SVD. L85 counters the advantage they have.

As has been said, the gun itself is rare, duping has skewed everything but once that is gone in the standalone, it won't be so widely used as there are much better alternatives.

It is outclassed in all ways except as a spotting weapon by just about every other rifle, we use ours exclusively as the spotter weapon on overwatch, rarely does it get fired.

It's not the end all be all weapon people seem to think it is, just remember if you can be seen by an L85, you can be seen by a regular sniper as well.

The mod is not supposed to be fair.

If the L85 didn't exist, there would be calls to remove the AS50 ... oh wait.

If the L85 and AS50 didn't exist, there would be calls to remove the M107 ... oh wait.

If the L85 and AS50 and M107 didn't exist, there would be calls to remove sniper rifles ... oh wait.

If the L85 and AS50 and M107 and sniper rifles didn't exist, would there be calls to remove MGs, or SD weapons?

None of the other weapons mentioned after the L85 give you the ability to do a 360° scan within a couple of seconds and see everything organic as glowing white on orange background

The weapon itself is a basic assault rifle, the scope is completely OP

And considering that an ALICE backpack is already enough space to carry a second primary with you for the actual firefight the L85 can indeed be considered OP

Edited by Hawk24

WTF does "OP" mean in this context ("L85 can indeed be considered OP").

WTF does "OP" mean in this context ("L85 can indeed be considered OP").

Overpowered