survivor_40

My reasons for taking a break from DayZ, potentially leaving.

1. Lack of content.

I've acquired all the "best" gear in the game. I even have Mountain Dews and Antibiotics and AS50 NATO ammo.

You can't really play a game if there is no goal. I loved the rush of finding my first vehicle, finding my first ghillie suit, my first .50 cal sniper rifle but now ... eh, there's nothing else to do.

This is primarily why I've said "a break". If Rocket does build in a lot of new interesting things, by all means, I'm back in. Right now, this mod doesn't really have any lasting appeal.

Suggestion: please build content that requires the cooperation of 10+ people. That will address #4 below.

2. Hackers.

It's tough to make a camp and get it lose it legitimately. That's happened to me at least twice - I've lost jeeps full of helo-crash-site gear. Hard luck, but it's a part of the game. Some bastard found my camp up north.

It's another thing entirely to lose your hard-won gear to someone who teleports around. Or to have someone disconnect as you shoot at them. I have played a lot of online FPSs and I can say with certainty that 90% of people mentioning hackers are crying wolf. This is the very first game where I have experienced genuine hacking at such a massive scale and frequency. I don't think I'm a unique snowflake when I say this: I'm not inclined to work hard with my buddies to fix up a jeep and set up a tent camp if I know a hacker can destroy that or post the map of my server on 4chan.

3. Lack of server admin tools.

If someone is hacking on the server you're playing on, you just leave. But if it's your server - what are you going to do?

People get teleported off the map? Can't do anything.

People get killed by someone invicible? Can't do anything.

People see tanks and helos spawned in? Can't do anything.

Ban someone you suspect of hacking but can't prove it? Your server is then blacklisted.

What most of you don't understand is how crippled server administrators are in this game, compared to pretty much every other online FPS game.

4. No reason to cooperate.

If you meet someone ingame who is not someone you recognize, there is zero incentive not to shoot them. And there is a lot of very good incentives to shoot them. I have adapted to this fact and am now fairly decent at killing players.

However - I can't help but think to myself: I am missing half the game by not cooperating with strangers. This choice - whether to cooperate or not - must be a lot harder. Making difficult choices with a lot of risk is what makes DayZ fun.

5. Duplication of items.

Tents are now broken: anything you put in the will either disappear after the next server restart, or if the tent holds something, it will reappear there after restart even though you've taken it.

This results in everyone owning the largest backpacks, the best weapons, the best survival gear, and the best optics.

It is the scarcity of gear that makes DayZ fun. If everyone has anything, no one values anything, and that entire dimension of the game is lost.

---

So, I'm taking a break until this mod matures a bit. Hopefully Rocket builds a lot of new interesting content and addresses the cheating issues.

And instead of leaving like a whiny little female canine: I must say this is among the top 3 of my favourite games in the last 5 years. DayZ approaches the levels that Deus Ex 1 and Mirror's Edge have established, and Rocket ought to be proud of what he's made so far.

Best of luck to ya'll.

Edited by survivor_40
  • Like 25

Your in the wrong game go back to WOW for some content. This is a sandbox game YOU make your own content. Thanks plz leave

• Like 9

I agree with 1 and 4 which oddly enough when togather creates sorta of a pseudo deathmatch since even the tools for players to create/change the world around them is very limited.

Your #3 is based on a fallacy. Server admins are encouraged to ban hackers. The problem is most server admins just pay a nominal fee to a thrid party hoster and have no idea how to use the server logs in order to identify said hackers. The so called "invasion of hackers" is just a byproduct of unskilled admins who don't know how to police their own server.

You almost make it sound like an alpha of a sandbox mod, with all the pvp parts finished.

fixed that for you

Are you saying that this alpha mod is lacking content and has bugs?! This must be the shittiest alpha sandbox mod ever!

• Like 2

fixed that for you

I'm not sure it's that way intentionally, just that the way the game mechanics work have fostered a decent PvP experience.

And I say this as someone who's not interested in PvP. :P

Are you saying that this alpha mod is lacking content and has bugs?! This must be the shittiest alpha sandbox mod ever!

minecraft had amazing content even in alpha because it had the tools for players to change the world down first

g)

I'm not sure it's that way intentionally, just that the way the game mechanics work have fostered a decent PvP experience.

And I say this as someone who's not interested in PvP. :P

well given that dayz uses arma 2's pvp system with some changes, yet hasn't really provided the same quality of sanbox tools to work with, makes it feel weird to even call dayz a sandbox right now.

Edited by Orthus

minecraft had amazing content even in alpha because it had the tools for players to change the world down first

Are you seriously comparing DayZ to Minecraft?
  • Like 2

Your in the wrong game go back to WOW for some content. This is a sandbox game YOU make your own content. Thanks plz leave

Really? Do you really feel that the content is complete in this game? What's the issue with having more content? I've never seen a forum where people were so hostile to each other over suggesting new stuff. It's people like you that ruin this mod, that object to any sort additions because "It's a sandbox/alpha". Who gives a shit what it is, if you don't like it, don't use it.

• Like 4

Are you seriously comparing DayZ to Minecraft?

in the terms of sandbox like content and development cycle? yes. gameplay and mechinics? no.

Just because a game as some sandbox tools doesn't make the entire game a sandbox when most the tools are designed for PVP, and the ones for sandbox are rare,buggy,few,can't be used in creative ways.

Edited by Orthus

in the terms of sandbox like content and development cycle? yes. gameplay and mechinics? no.

Well, if you want to compare content and development cycle, then Minecraft was a buggy alpha with little content (compared to its beta and release versions) from May 17th, 2009 until December 20th, 2010. It was not released as a finished product until the end of 2011.

How long has DayZ been available to the public again?

Addition: You can still play Minecraft Classic (v0.30) free on the official site, how about everyone goes to look at it while you tell us more about the many treasures of depth and amazing features it has?

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

as it is, it's just a proof of concept. it's a sandbox with players, zombies, and guns

and not to assume, but I'm surer the game is boring if you're server hopping to find loot, duping items, alt-f4'ing, etc. it reminds me of Skyrim when everyone grinded their smithing and enchantment to the max level, and then complained the game was too easy

same old post...

It's all been said , use the search function. As for potentially leaving...i'm not sure anybody minds.

From what I've seen in interviews with Rocket, the DayZ mod is just an experiment and I personally don't expect things to change since the standalone version will likely be RELEASED before the end of this year (according to Rocket).

Edited by Caelib

Eh I was hold off playing for a while, but then I realized that this game is in its Alpha stages and said fuck it and hopped back into the fray. Right now it is in a grim state with the amount of hacking going on but for the sake of having a good time I take my licks, get out when I can or just have to start from scratch. I am sure as the mod evolves things will be fixed and maybe even hackers will diminish that is the crux of playing such an early build of the game.

Hell one of my favorite moments was just cruising around in a bus packed full of players because of a Stream by OshiSeven inviting us to join him in fixing the thing. There was no 'end game' or grand objective. Just a bunch of players loaded with one player blaring out on direct chat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEstfFH7l4E Most fun I have had in the game and I did not fire a single shot.

as it is, it's just a proof of concept. it's a sandbox with players, zombies, and guns

and not to assume, but I'm surer the game is boring if you're server hopping to find loot, duping items, alt-f4'ing, etc. it reminds me of Skyrim when everyone grinded their smithing and enchantment to the max level, and then complained the game was too easy

but what makes it a sandbox besides no real rules out side of don't hack? what can I build with all these sand?

I have been taking a break for weeks I just didn't think anyone gave a fuck so I didn't mention it.

• Like 5

He has some good points though. The hacking is getting ridiculous, even with the new battleye update, they will always remain one step ahead because they're always willing to put their GUIDS on the line. The second issue, is duping. The latest patch has made it absolutely unbearable. It seems everyone and their brother have AS50s, L85s, NVGs and Rangefinders. Myself included. The only difference is I've killed people for my gear, many of them as well. It's so bad now that it happens when you're not even intentionally trying to do it. Just put on a ghillie suit or camo? There's a chance you're going to dupe a backpack. You can dupe raw meat from animals if two people gut it at the same time for christ sake. Also, just like he said...tent duping is the easiest way to multiply weapons by as much as you want as long as you own the tent and have the time, combined with hoping it's hidden enough between server restarts(when the item actually copies). There is no "rare" weapons in the game anymore. When I encountered someone with a .50 cal, I used to think "Holy shit. That's a .50". Not anymore. I know it's partially because I've been playing for a long time now and nothing is "new" for me anymore as far as game content, but the experiences within it are still new so that's what keeps me here. No firefight is the same, and that's the best part. However, it's just simply that it seems everyone has everything anymore. You just killed someone? Chances are he's going to take 20 minutes, run to his tents, and gear up with all the items he had since he copied them all, and be back with all of his shit to go and kill you. I've seen it multiple times.

Edited by KField86
  • Like 1

You are playing the wrong game, what you want is an MMORPG.

Your in the wrong game go back to WOW for some content. This is a sandbox game YOU make your own content.

I didn't realize rampant hacking was an integral part of a sandbox game.

Do you consider item duping to be a form of "making your own content"?

Edited by Thorne
  • Like 1

This game is a sandbox. A big, empty sandbox with no direction filled with contradicting design that just dumbs everything down into a glorified deathmatch on a giant boring map with zombies that could be replaced with clowns or just completely removed and have no effect on the game. The problem isn't the development stage of the game, the foundation for the game is already set. The problem is Rocket just sucks at making games. Realism at the expense of fun and replayability has never worked and won't work now, not in the long run at least.

Still fun to play with friends though, which is why I'm still around.

Edited by noiradle
  • Like 3

This game is a sandbox. A big, empty sandbox.

Still fun to play with friends though, which is why I'm still around.

it feels like an empty parking lot in the bad side of town.