wattle

Fix Server Hopping/Quick Leaving (Borderline Cheating)

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but I think it's a serious issue that needs a better solution than the current one. I've had about 4 people disconnect on me today. One guy was running away from a horde of zombies, he went into a building and disconnected, the zombies disappeared and he simply re-logged back in safe and sound, fortunately I shot him in the face as soon as he spawned so justice was served.

The other guys disconnected after I injured or fired shots at them. They simply went around the corner, bandaged themselves and logged out leaving me with no kills or loot, only wasted ammo.

:@

How about, if you disconnect when under fire/bleeding/running away from zombies you turn into a chicken for 10 minutes ?

Please?

Why not just rig it so that your supplies/stats save' date=' but not your location? (Cross-Servers I mean). Don't get me wrong, it seems like one of the main thing this mod has going for it is being able to carry your character with you- But you would still do that. Just with the added benefit of technically "Spawning Fully Loaded" out in the middle of nowhere?

[/quote']

Exclusion zones for cities/towns/airfields? Log out inside one of them, and when you log back in you are randomly placed somewhere at the edge of the zone that you were previously in?

Log out in the north barracks at the NWAF and then you log back in half a klick east in a field. See people defending the church in Cherno, so you server hop and then sneak into the same church in order to get behind them, log back in and bam, you're back on the outskirts of Cherno.

Edit to add: This would also help with other problems. Two nights ago the server crashed while my group was in Stary. Obviously I would never have chosen to log out in zed-central, and because the hive-auth wasn't working we couldn't get back in and relocate ourselves. So the next day I log back in right smack middle of that city all alone and with no help from the group members I was with previously. Thankfully I was able to exfiltrate safely that time, but what about the next time the server decides to take a dump in the middle of an expedition?

the thing ive experienced is that when you log in, no loot is around your immediate area anyways, alogn with no zombies.

a friend and i decided to try loging out to see what happens, and if we are mobbed, and because its nea rimpossible to outrun zombies, we logged out and in, to find the entire town near us, (pretty decent distance away) was completely empty of zombies and loot.

i like logging out, to avoid death, but i understand its not legitimate and it is definitely not realistic, but i just really, really dont want to die.

a way to fix it would be a log out timer, 10-20 seconds maybe. but a timer on spawning in another server is very bad. i switch at times to meert friends, i dont want to wait 5 minutes just because i just logged out.

Is it even possible to make a log out timer with just modding tools? I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope it is, cause this kind of stuff is game-breaking.

And even so, making log out timer 10-20 seconds is a half measure really.

Situation: Your group corners enemy group in a multistorey building, nobody is in a hurry, it takes some time for your group to approach, get into a good positions and so on, far more than 10-20seconds, which is mighty enough for an enemy party to log off. They log off, hop to another server, end of story.

That would be incredibly annoying though' date=' for example if you were preparing to raid a certain place then had to go, and then you came back and were somewhere random. And what about people that only play with their friends, they would have to navigate to each other every time they wanted to play. Adding a timer / restrictions to log out is a very simple fix that doesn't mess anything else up.

I know you're talking about cross server but, majority of the servers are always full, then you may have to wait a long time to get onto your desired server in your desired state.

[/quote']

They could divide the map into regions and make them spawn randomly into these regions and quadrants.

I was wandering in Chernog at night with my friend when we found lights coming from the church. We advanced and secured the church. (closed the door and started looting) At some point, about a few minutes later, 2 guys suddenly spawned behind us while we were looking through the pile and killed me. My friend managed to kill them both though he turned bandit as a result. (One of the guy was a bandit while the other wasn't) He later got killed by a random guy walking into the church (heard the gun shots)

Basically, these guys hopped from server to server and hope for moment like this.

Ruins the game.

I was wandering in Chernog at night with my friend when we found lights coming from the church. We advanced and secured the church. (closed the door and started looting) At some point' date=' about a few minutes later, 2 guys suddenly spawned behind us while we were looking through the pile and killed me. My friend managed to kill them both though he turned bandit as a result. (One of the guy was a bandit while the other wasn't) He later got killed by a random guy walking into the church (heard the gun shots)

Basically, these guys hopped from server to server and hope for moment like this.

Ruins the game.

[/quote']

Perhaps if there was a buddy system, it could keep the group together yet spawn them somewhere random near the city should they all decide to log on.

If a buddy system like the one you just implied ever got implemented JuniorD, then people in groups hopping servers would simple not use it.

As someone suggested before:

Timer that you have to remain stationary (for like 20seconds) before logging out. Alt+F4 leaves you character in-game for this time and if zeds catch him the timer resets after every hit until he's either dead or the attacks have been stopped.

If you log out in a city your char will be moved to outskirts when you relog. I.e. you log out in some building in cherno and when you come back you find yourself 100meters outside of the city. This prevent's sneaking behind people. It shouldn't be impossible to implement a system that moves you 100meters away from buildings, if there are any, when spawning.

• Like 1

As someone suggested before:

Timer that you have to remain stationary (for like 20seconds) before logging out. Alt+F4 leaves you character in-game for this time and if zeds catch him the timer resets after every hit until he's either dead or the attacks have been stopped.

If you log out in a city your char will be moved to outskirts when you relog. I.e. you log out in some building in cherno and when you come back you find yourself 100meters outside of the city. This prevent's sneaking behind people. It shouldn't be impossible to implement a system that moves you 100meters away from buildings' date=' if there are any, when spawning.

[/quote']

It sounds very reasonable.

1. Server hopping for gear: only allow players to store items in tents if they retrieved those items on that server.

2. Server hopping for position/fleeing: keep player logged in for 2 minutes on the server after logging. Not sure how easy it is to keep them from rejoining before the 2 minutes expires, though.

As has already been said' date=' this could learn from games such as WoW, and say in order to log off you have to stand still for 20 seconds in order to log out, after not being attacked for a certain amount of time. That way people would have to be at a safe distance in order to log out, this also wouldn't penalize those switching server to meet friends, apart from wasting like 20 seconds of their time.

[/quote']

^ This

This is the simplest and most fair way to handle this. A person should be able to disconnect whenever they want, but the server should keep their character for 30 seconds in the same spot, vulnerable. This would ensure that you were truly safe before you logged. This would also unfortunately affect those who lose connection, but there is no way to differentiate between someone intentionally disconnecting and someone who lost it through bad luck.