Sign in to follow this  
TheHighPhilosopher

The Standalone

Today is my first day with DayZ and I've been hearing a lot about a standalone version. Some say it'll come september, some say it'll come in 2-3 years.

Can someone clear it up for me? Will there even be a standalone? When would it come out? Would it be console? You know, that stuff. Thanks in advance. :)

it would taske a LOT longer than until september to create a standalone game, even if he went with a ready to go engine like the torque 3d Engine.

Rocket has said there is no reason he "couldnt" release a standalone version by september / october. He has also said very recently that we can expect some kind of an announcement soon. Anything beyond that is pretty much speculation. I'd say just sit tight and wait for the announcement...

EDIT: Be aware that standalone does not necessarily mean a finished product, just that it is self contained rather than being a mod. It could go standalone and still be in alpha or beta phase for example.

Edited by SystemiK
  • Like 2

A standalone version is due this year, Rocket (creator) said it could be as early as September.

It will use the Real Virtuality engine, which is what ArmA2 and ArmA3 are based on, hence the short time-frame as most of the existing code can simply be ported over.

Edited by smasht_AU

Rocket has said there is no reason he "couldnt" release a standalone version by september / october. He has also said very recently that we can expect some kind of an announcement soon. Anything beyond that is pretty much speculation. I'd say just sit tight and wait for the announcement...

He had to have been working on it already then, to up and switch engines or write your own, is not a simple process. Especially since the mod is written in Arma's scripting language, not compiled into the engines code. if he went with a new engine he would have to re-write all of the logic in C++ or in the new engines scripting language.

A standalone version is due this year, Rocket (creator) said it could be as early as September.

It will use the Real Virtuality engine, which is what ArmA2 and ArmA3 are based on, hence most of the existing code can simply be ported over.

that makes sense then