zekez

Megathread of short tutorials for...everything

Update on 6/13/2012

How to use your Hatchet, matches and hunting knife:

Video:

This is simply a megapost of small tutorials (1-3 minutes each) covering whatever I could think of / Questions I've seen on the forums. I know my mic isn't the greatest, and I'm sure I missed something [or got something wrong]

Connecting:

Video:

Summary - On your filter set type to "Cooperative Mission" Map to "Dayz", if you get stuck at "Waiting for server to respond, it just means a lot of people are trying to retrieve characters.

You'll find a more comprehensive post here by RPlasticPirate: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3843

HUD / UI:

Video:

Left side: Context menu and chat

Right side Top to bottom:

[in order] Ammo / mags / flares ect. Debug monitor [you can't turn it off], how loud and visible you are [to zombies not humans] Humanity [bandit or not], Temperature, thirst, health [bleeding], hungry.

Broken bones = Morphine

Sporadic shaking = pain = painkillers

Constant shaking = caught a cold = antibiotics [good luck finding] **Raising your temp does NOT get rid of the cold**

Blinking red cross on blood icon = bleeding = bandage

Hourglass = unconscious = give it time... [this doesn't happen JUST from gunshots fyi]

Chat:

Video:

. and , to change channels, / to type, capslock to talk. Don't talk in serverwide channels. "P" to bring up player list and mute people who talk in the serverwide channels.

*Direct Comm. chat is only available on beta for now*

Death/Respawning:

Video:

Summary - Abort (yes)-> disconnect -> "Ok"

Movement

Video:

Summary - Z X C for stances, double tab shift to toggle run/walk, V to jump over things, hold alt to look around.

Weapons / Flares / Grenades / Chemlights

Video:

Summary: Hold down RMB to zoom, click it to aim, magazines do not refill themselves.

*To throw grenades/flares it's LMB once you've used F to select them [in the upper right], and you can pick up chemlights the same way as flares [just to clarify]*

Inventory / Hotkeys:

Video:

G for gear, B for Binos, V to jump fences, M for map/compass/watch [if you have one]. Using bangages and lighting fires ect.

Hunting guide here - props to SensenmanN for that: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4134

How to See at night:

Video:

Summary -> Video options -> Gamma and brightness to full, click advanced, HDR on Very High

*Some people think this is cheap and ruins the game ect, but keep in mind the bandits hunting you are probably doing it*

Elunah made a great guide you can find here:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4796

thanks, I'll try to keep them updated as much as possible, I should have kept a bloopers reel - I was on a castle roof doing the weapons / flares portion when a bandit walked up the stairs, there I was in the middle of the day holding a flare in my hand looking like a 'tard. He looked at me and saluted, I moved to the middle of the forest for the rest of the tutorials.

You forgot to mention shock. although I don't know if it is currently in the game (I haven't experienced it myself) and hyperventilating (which I've also, just seen in a vid)

I do need to update for shock and such things, problem is since they rarely happen to me I tend to forget about them. Usually I die to something awesome like breaking my legs going prone in a doorway

Updated on 6/13/2012 to include Hatchets, skinning knife and matches