Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

When will this game have consequence for player killing?

In real life what stops you is because you have a conscience but that doesn't exist in a game as it is only as a game. So there needs to be a mechanic in game that puts a down side to just killing every player you see. One where bandits can carry on killing but it alienates them from a society being rebuilt.

The problem with the whole names not popping up thing is you don't know who killed you, people don't get a reputation for killing other players. So they'll just continue without a care and other players cannot tell if they're out to get them. In the end the good players suffer because we cannot take a risk on making friends so we have to shoot on site and it's developed this really bad community within Dayz where it's all gank.

There really needs to be mechanics put in place where we can judge other players on sight and know we're safe to not shoot them. I would like this to be a social game but right now it isn't and it retracts from the fun.

So you compare it to real life, yet in real life, i can kill 100 people and i still look the same?

There shouldnt be any "consequence" really.

• Like 1

That mechanic will never be set,you can't feel anything trough your character...if you want consequences,shot in real life.

In real life

Stopped there cause this is a game and real life comparisons don't count. But to answer you anyway, I have seen others say rocket will never add a disadvantage to a particular play-style, be that killing noobs on the coast or running all day from pond to pond.

This thread already exists. Please use the search function. To your point. There already are consequences, you shoot at someone they then shoot back. You make noise and zombies can hear you.

• Like 2

So you compare it to real life, yet in real life, i can kill 100 people and i still look the same?

There shouldnt be any "consequence" really.

In real life you'd also gain a reputation and everyone would know what you look like. in Dayz everyone looks the same so the mechanic is necessary, Rocket has already said in a podcast that bandit skins are being put back in the game as well as some hero skin, unfortunately most players arn't mature enough to not dupe stuff and camp new spawns on the coast so its the community's fault as well for needing this mechanic.

The consequence is in risking your life, instead of avoiding contact. That's how it should be

• Like 2

In real life what stops you is because you have a conscience but that doesn't exist in a game as it is only as a game. So there needs to be a mechanic in game that puts a down side to just killing every player you see. One where bandits can carry on killing but it alienates them from a society being rebuilt.

The problem with the whole names not popping up thing is you don't know who killed you, people don't get a reputation for killing other players. So they'll just continue without a care and other players cannot tell if they're out to get them. In the end the good players suffer because we cannot take a risk on making friends so we have to shoot on site and it's developed this really bad community within Dayz where it's all gank.

There really needs to be mechanics put in place where we can judge other players on sight and know we're safe to not shoot them. I would like this to be a social game but right now it isn't and it retracts from the fun.

One of the main points is that you have no idea. You always will have to be prepared to fight for your life.

Going to quote Rocket.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6487-wtf-is-happening-to-the-server-community/page__st__40#entry67217

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6487-wtf-is-happening-to-the-server-community/page__st__40#entry67159

Read these, please. And have a good day. :)

In real life you'd also gain a reputation and everyone would know what you look like. in Dayz everyone looks the same so the mechanic is necessary, Rocket has already said in a podcast that bandit skins are being put back in the game as well as some hero skin, unfortunately most players arn't mature enough to not dupe stuff and camp new spawns on the coast so its the community's fault as well for needing this mechanic.

Yeah, if you let your victims live to tell the tales. I let no one live, whos gonna be talking about me?

Edited by Suspenselol

No.

In a sandbox game such as this introducing mechanics to effectively punish one play style over another is a bad idea. It's a sandbox; some will build castles, some will kick them over.

The OP should really keep up with the interviews of Rocket especially since they seem to care enough about the game to post on the forums. In the last one by Machinima he mentioned he's already bringing the bandit skin back in the next patch in the form of a hat of some sort.

Sorry for being a total dick.

A ) It was a live streamed interview, not a podcast.

B ) Rocket has NEVER said he aims for realism, he wants an authentic experience.

C ) Maturity has nothing to do with a specific gaming style

D ) Rocket wants the community to "balance" the game

E ) A bandit skin does NOT stop coast camping at all, not even a little bit.

F ) Duping has nothing to do with anything we're discussing

G ) Bandit skins aren't going to stop PKing at all.

H ) Hero skins is a valid way to deter player killing since it rewards not killing people. You see the difference? Rewarding a player for a certain play style instead of forcing them into it by penalizing them.

I ) This list is getting too long, but I hope you understand that you're wrong and I hope you understand why you're wrong.

• Like 1

The main player base doesn't care about making this as close to "real life" as possible and certainly neither does rocket. He focuses on feel and works mechanics around that. This isn't sims. To make this game feel desperate and intense we have punishing firefights and bandits who KoS.

In real life what stops you is because you have a conscience but that doesn't exist in a game as it is only as a game.

I feel somewhat guilty when i kill someone uld though, nor would someone who had come to terms with their actions. I think most of the bandits would at some point.

It could be implemented for the first kill or something, but nothing more than that.in game. I bet i would feel a lot more guilty in real life, just like i believe you would (judging from your post.) I don't think some psychopathic mass murderer wo

A very real consequence of murder would be mob justice. Unfortunately, in it's current state, the game allows a player to kill another then instantly disconnect or server-hop to avoid retribution. THAT is unrealistic, and absolutely cowardly.

• Like 1

A ) It was a live streamed interview, not a podcast.

B ) Rocket has NEVER said he aims for realism, he wants an authentic experience.

C ) Maturity has nothing to do with a specific gaming style

D ) Rocket wants the community to "balance" the game

E ) A bandit skin does NOT stop coast camping at all, not even a little bit.

F ) Duping has nothing to do with anything we're discussing

G ) Bandit skins aren't going to stop PKing at all.

H ) Hero skins is a valid way to deter player killing since it rewards not killing people. You see the difference? Rewarding a player for a certain play style instead of forcing them into it by penalizing them.

I ) This list is getting too long, but I hope you understand that you're wrong and I hope you understand why you're wrong.

Sigh typical, Dupeing has everything to do with what we are talking about because half these griefer noobs only do it because they have duped shit in tents and remove all challange or risk from the game, Bandit skin will turn you into a "kill this guy" target and everyone in the woods who didn't pop you will now, maturity has allot to do with playstyle as evidenced by the large amount of 18 year old know it alls that post on this forum and only bought arma 2 for dayz and are to stupid to understand this is an alpha mod and go straight to keyboard warrior when someone post about an ingame issue. If rocket purely wanted the community to balance the game he wouldn't be putting in mechanics to encourage not be a KOS uncreative twat and exploiting shit like alt-f4, you know what happens to every game that they let the community have complete control? it dies from hacker and griefer noobs.

Your an idiot keyboard warrior and i hope you understand why your an idiot

Edited by neo2157

There is not going to be a consequence for killing others. Perhaps changed looks, but they will never get a bounty or a -10% damage or something like that. Just play the alpha and look forward to the final product.

There shouldn't. I really hate throwing rocket quote around, but...

http://dayzmod.com/f...__20#entry67105

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results".

shoot unarmed players

die

shoot unarmed players

die

shoot unarmed players

die

shoot unarmed players

die

hmmm yer kos is insanity

Instead of punishing bandits, I think there just needs to be more to do upon acquiring military hardware and a tent base. Most people I know PK because they're bored and have nothing else to do.

If anything, give players a reason to work together apart from force in numbers. If we can arguably have more fun protecting random players and working together, the random killing should drop dramatically. But with the current game mechanics, there's almost no reason to trust anyone, no reason to work together with unknown players.

You should read some history.

You'll find that a conscience is a luxury most can't afford during something like a zombie apocalypse. All of that conditioning, all of those social niceties that allow us to live in cities without murdering our neighbors? It all goes out the window. If they have something you feel you need/want, you take it. If you feel even the least bit threatened you kill them or chase them out of your territory.

There is your tribe and then there is everybody else. The people in your tribe? Humans, deserving of the same treatment you'd want. Everybody else? Sub-humans, at best a resource to be exploited, at worst a threat to the survival of your tribe.

People who argue that the shoot-on-sight mentality that pervades DayZ is "unrealistic" are people who are not students of history. Most of them are people who would be dead in a month if the electricity went out and they couldn't drive to mcdonalds for a burger.

• Like 1