Sign in to follow this  
rocket

[GUIDE] Simple Install Method (includes Beta)

From Marek (CEO) on BI Forums:

While majority of users still prefer the old fashioned OFP style command line driven mod handling, there is also another way of doing it, using the in game expansions manager and documents settings. One real advantage of doing it that way is that it no longer matter from where you launch the game (be it steam, other version etc.). It makes clean installations also much simpler than messing within the game folder.

Example how I use the system:

* create DayZ folder in C:\Users\maruk\Documents\ArmA 2

* create sub folder Addons there and download / extract files from http://www.armafiles.info/dayz/ to it

* run the game (I use the latest beta from http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php )

* in the game go to the Expansions, select DayZ and click on Enable button, restart the game

* now the mod is installed and I can play easily with it anytime (using beta, or normal steam version, or sprocket version)

For me personally it is simpler than toying with commandline options and interferring with game installation. I understand that everyone has different taste and that is why the original mod commandline is kept intact since 2002 I just thought some may simply not understand the more modern alternatives available now.

• Like 1

Only issue I have with this, even though it sounds like it makes things easier, is that I run STEAM/ARMA on 2nd Drive that is not shared with Win7, as my OS is on a SSD. Last thing I want to do is start filling up the C drive with Addons. Even though DayZ isn't huge, others are.

This seems great and fast and easier, But just not valid for everyone, which is understandable. I would though hope ARMA3 manages Mods better and starting them.

But thanks for the post!

When is DayZ going to be a part of ArmA 2? When that happens I hope its a free patch and they won't charge us for DayZ as an expansion :( This way it's the easiest install ever!

Side Chat: I bought ArmA 2: CO only for Rocket's DayZ... I'll donate anytime! but fk paying for DayZ as an expansion.

Thanks for this setup Rocket.

Really, really struggling to get this to work.

Spent 6 hours last night with numerous errors and just generally not being able to get it to work.

Have followed numerous different guides and have tried the auto installers all to no avail. I've had the binary/pixel errors on startup, I've had the missing dlc files when trying to join a server, I've had the @dayz expansion show up and still not work.....basically had every drama you could imagine.

The closest I got was being able to get past the "receiving data" bit after joining a server but then immidiately being brought back to the server selection screen there after, time and time again. It's extremely frustrating as I've just had to wait a week to get my new PC which is more than capable of running this game on the very highest settings (tried it with ARMA 2:OA Vanilla) and now I have the weekend off to play it....but can't.

I'm currently reinstalling and updating Operation Arrowhead for the 3rd time thanks to the binary/pixel error. Both ARMA 2 and OA should be ready to go in about an hour and I'd very much appreciate some help from someone who actually klnows how to get this mod working (unlike the countless guides on the net which haven't worked thus far).

Thankyou very much in advance to whoever takes the time.

I have no idea what actually fixed it but it works!!!!

Here's a list of things I did to get it going, in no particular order; (I use steam btw)

-Copy the Addons folder from ArmA 2 and paste into the main directory of ArmA 2:OA

-Put the ArmA 2 :OA folder inside the ArmA 2 folder

-Download the torrent version of the DayZ mod, extract it and put the extracted @DayZ folder into the main directory of your ArmA 2:OA folder

-Start the standalone ArmA 2:OA by going to c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/arma 2/arma 2:oa/arma2oa.exe and enable everything you can under Expansions from the game menu. Then restart game.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!! - Go here - http://www.battleye.com/download.html - and download the top two files which are BE Client for Windows (32-bit) and BE Server for Windows (32-bit). Make a new folder called BattlEye here - c:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/arma 2/arma 2:OA/expansions and then place the 2 downloaded files in that created BattlEye folder.

-Don't use steam to start the ArmA 2:OA, instead right-click on the arma2oa.exe file I mentioned a few points back (in your main arma 2:OA folder) and run as admin.

- I also have this " -mod=@DayZ" typed in under launch options for ArmA 2:OA in Steam (note the single space right at the start before the dash)

- BTW, you don't actually have to update ArmA 2 in steam with it's 8gb update, just update ArmA 2:OA through steam with it's 7.5gb update and it will work (though I don't think my ArmA 2 works by itself now, but I don't really care)

Like I said, not sure which of these steps did what exactly but I do know that the last thing I did before it started working was to get that newer version of BattlEye that I linked to above and put the files into the correct folder like I said above. I also only ever run the game as OA, not CO.

Really hope this helps people because I was so freakin upset when I couldn't get it going so I definitely feel your pain guys :(

Under my expansions from Operation Arrowhead's main menu I somehow have 2 OA's and 2 DayZ's enabled, but yeah, at least it works.

Now to finally, finally, finally play me some DayZ on the very highest settings on my new gaming PC :) So fuckin relieved and happy it's not even funny :)

Hey I'm having a bit of trouble. I installed the mod fine using this method, but I can't join any servers, they all have a red cross next to them and when I try to join it just says connection failed. Any one know how to fix this?

Hey I'm having a bit of trouble. I installed the mod fine using this method' date=' but I can't join any servers, they all have a red cross next to them and when I try to join it just says connection failed. Any one know how to fix this?

[/quote']

I don't think there is a fix just yet. Like you, I have correctly installed it, but still get kicked.

Easiest solution. Just Download the DayZ Mod's recommended Six Updater. http://www.dayzmod.com/downloads.php

And play from the Six Launcher. There should be no reason to, and no one should have problems joining and playing. And yes....it automatically enables 1.7.1.1 , and now 1.7.1.2

• Like 1

Easiest solution. Just Download the DayZ Mod's recommended Six Updater. http://www.dayzmod.com/downloads.php

And play from the Six Launcher. There should be no reason to, and no one should have problems joining and playing. And yes....it automatically enables 1.7.1.1 , and now 1.7.1.2

Agree with this completely.

The Six Launcher is, in my opinion, the easiest method by far.

Edited by Zer0_Cool

Just go the game, having a few issues.

Downloaded from steam, Arma2 would not run, But Arma2:OA does run. Getting these 2 messages after I used the auto-download option from the install Dayz guide thread. 'dayz_anim' requires addon CA_Dubbing_Counterattack' and this one when I get to the Arma2:OA main screen No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Citizen1.scope' Re-install? Six-launcher btw triggers my Anti-virus software, how reliable is that? Should i just try installing from there? Or do i need to erase the dayz mod files I downloaded through morrow first?

Agree with this completely.

The Six Launcher is, in my opinion, the easiest method by far.

And DayzCommander has waaay better options than sixlauncher like starting with steam and it has filtering options like no crosshair.

I generally want to add to this topic that its creation date was May and a lot has happened since then, manually installing the game is not the regular way to go anymore.

If you are a new player and reading this, consider using either:

Sixlauncher http://www.dayzmod.com/?SixUpdater

Or DayZ Commander http://www.dayzcommander.com/

Experience computer users can ofcourse still try the old fashioned manually install but believe me with these other programs available it is really not worh it.

I use Sixlauncher myself mostly because i started with it and it works for me, consider only using the sixlauncher bit and leaving sixupdater alone if you dont know what it does.

DayZ commander looks to be catering an even easier way to make DayZ work but i have yet to try it myself.

Erm, I downloaded from DayZ commander, but not i don't know what to do? I tried to join but I can't? What else do i need to download?