Sign in to follow this  
chrissybroon

new to pc gaming

I'd say its next to impossible to play this game on a joypad, because of the large amount of keys you will need to press. Its not simply run, aim, fire :P

Troll?

But seriously speaking I don't think Bohemia Interactive ever made any sort of controller support for Arma simply because of the required amount of keys to play it.

You're out of luck I'm afraid.

Edited by TheSodesa

Cant use controller there is just to many controls, learn to play with keyboard and mouse they are much better than controller with fps anyway.

You can use a wired xbox360 controller, but you will not be able to use all of the keybindings. If you search you will find a few other threads, one of which links to a working set-up for Arma which should be close to what you need for DayZ.

hi can any one suggest a decent joypad to play this game on can not use mouse or keyboard at all

Firstly, welcome.

Now to be on topic. Sadly very few PC games have good controller support. DayZ isn't one of them. If you plan on gaming with your PC, you need to adapt to our style of gameplay (keyboard+mouse), just as i did when i bought my xbox not so long ago (damn it was hard in the first weeks to get used to sticks).

Go play Quake Live for 12 hours straight and build some muscle memory. You'll be glad you learned to use a mouse and board once you're comfortable with it. It's far more intuitive than controllers or whatever.

If your still interested in using a controller for DayZ then I would recommend getting a wired xbox 360 controller and using a program called xpadder, which allows you to setup and use almost every type of controller on any game you want. If you need help with any of this just ask, I'll be happy to help.

• Like 1

Hello chrissybroon and welcome to the DayZ mod and DayZ forums!

Using a joypad in DayZ/Arma 2 might be a little problematic, as the game might not support joypads.

Assuming you can use a joypad in DayZ, part of the solution to your problem is to research a PC gamepad that you are comfortable using. After that, you will have to integrate using the keyboard into your control scheme while playing DayZ. A while back, I used a joypad to play City of Heroes which also had a lot of commands. I was able to configure the pad to accept certain controls and the rest had to be mapped to the keyboard.

Good luck with your search - if you end up being successful in getting the pad to work, please come back and post how you did it to help other players facing the same situation!

I use an N52TE. Mind you it is not a joypad or controller. http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=390404

I hate using wasd to move my character. I love the mouse for aiming...there is no substitute for the mouse. But wasd for moving a character sucks IMHO. I have just mapped all the keys to my n52te and voila. Much easier to game with. One of the worst aspects of pc gaming is comfortability. I hard to lounge back with a keyboard and mouse. The n52te does not eliminate the problem completely but it makes things a little more comfortable.

I still have to use the keyboard for a few minor things but, I have most everything mapped to this. This is the best solution I have ever found. With most games, you would never need to touch the keyboard to play with if you have one of these. Arma however, has a key for every little thing.

You should be able to pick up one of these at your local Best Buy store.

Edited by ArchAngel-7-

ArchAngel-7-:

Whoa! Pretty cool! How long did it take you to get used to the N52TE?

not long

ArchAngel-7-:

Whoa! Pretty cool! How long did it take you to get used to the N52TE?

Adjusting from the wasd stance to normal typing stance...a day or so. Plus, it is fully customizable for 3 different sets of configurations. I use it for every PC game I have. The D-Pad acts as an analogue if you wish, however you can set it up to your liking. A product like this helps the console gamer ease into PC gaming a little faster.

I use an N52TE. Mind you it is not a joypad or controller. http://www.belkin.co...oduct_Id=390404

I hate using wasd to move my character. I love the mouse for aiming...there is no substitute for the mouse. But wasd for moving a character sucks IMHO. I have just mapped all the keys to my n52te and voila. Much easier to game with. One of the worst aspects of pc gaming is comfortability. I hard to lounge back with a keyboard and mouse. The n52te does not eliminate the problem completely but it makes things a little more comfortable.

I still have to use the keyboard for a few minor things but, I have most everything mapped to this. This is the best solution I have ever found. With most games, you would never need to touch the keyboard to play with if you have one of these. Arma however, has a key for every little thing.

You should be able to pick up one of these at your local Best Buy store.

Those are nice I've been eyeballing them for a bit. My logitech g13 buttons are getting worn out.

Edited by HanoverFist

Those are nice I've been eyeballing them for a bit. My logitech g13 buttons are getting worn out.

Yeah i got one of those too. Bought it a few years ago. same thing happened to me with it. I liked it alot. My only complaint with it was the thumb pad was a little harder to use accurately, and my thumb would slip off from time to time, but it has more programmable features/buttons than the n52. But IMHO, I like the N52 better. its way more comfortable. Comfortability is key to pc-gaming for me. Console gaming is comfortable, PC tends to wear your back, neck, and shoulders out after a while.

new to pc gaming

better start with arma 2 - dayz.. *Genius*

difficult times are waiting for you son..