Sign in to follow this  
rackley

Make empty cans/bottles able to hold water

Relatively new player here. I've played about 15 games and I've yet to find a canteen. It's a tough game but I enjoy the realism.

It seems unrealistic that the only way I could drink water would be from a canteen or a full can of soda. If I was dying of thirst, I would stick my head in the pond in drink up. There are also tons of empty containers lying around. Why can't I use those to drink?

Surviving would be hard but this is an unfair handicap because it's not realistic.

I agree with OP. This might be a good idea:

You're able to use a can, fill it with lake water, build a fire, boil it and then drink it on the spot. Once you've got the water you cannot run with it or it empties the can. You can also use the can to drink at a pump, but again, you cannot run with it or it empties.

Edited by sudZ!

If this game where realistic I'd like for Jerry cans to be fillable with water.

I wouldn't drink from a jerry can unless I felt like I'm about to die anyways. I don't think you can get them clean enough to store water to drink.

I agree with OP. This might be a good idea:

You're able to use a can, fill it with lake water, build a fire, boil it and then drink it on the spot. Once you've got the water you cannot run with it or it empties the can. You can also use the can to drink at a pump, but again, you cannot run with it or it empties.

Or find some plastic or rubber or shit added into the game

The empty whiskey bottles make the most sense to easily double as a canteen and you wouldn't lose the water during your average run through the woods. Here is another question: Why the hell couldn't I stoop by a pond and cup some water with my hands to get a few drinks?

Been suggested before, I like the idea of something like this, but at the same time I like having to find a water canteen or some soda cans otherwise I'll die of thirst, sure its not as realistic as it could be, but you know.

Seeing as we don't know much about DayZ's story, we can't say how long Chernarus has been a zombie infested wasteland. It could have been a couple days, it could have been a couple years. That means these empty cans and bottles could have experienced years of weathering and decay. Going around and picking up a random bent, rusty can to drink out of is nothing but risky and unsanitary and the empty bottles of whiskey look like they were just dropped on the ground. They'd be full of cracks. Also, who knows where the bloody cap's gone off to. If you can't find the cap, there's no way you're bringing it with you full of water. You'd be better off just drinking out of your hands. That said, full whiskey bottles are HEAVY. Canteens are made to be lightweight so you can carry them without them getting in the way and weighing you down. You can also clip a canteen to your belt. Carrying around a wonky, heavy bottle if you're lucky enough to find one with the lid and no cracks just seems impractical. Surviving always outweighs practicality, but canteens aren't hard to find so what's the point?

Edited by Kornwallis