tinyone

Confused Newbie - chat problems, bleeding for no reason, etc.

Hello everyone!

I just got my copy on Wednesday and I'm having quite a struggle simply getting to know the game.

So far, I've only joined the game like 5 or 6 times, but not for a lack of trying (spend more than 2 hours yesterday and 1 hour today just trying to get into a server).

Twice I had the problem that I couldn't move after being spawned. Other times it was night and I decided that I'd rather take my first steps during daylight.

Today and one time before, I actually got to play, but I'm still having some issues. It lags even on low settings.

But today, I had another problem:

I got spawned in Chernogorsk at the beach and after stepping out of the shallow water, I immediately started to bleed. Even using a bandage didn't stop the bleeding. Needless to say, I'm confused as to why I was bleeding in the first place and why my bandage didn't help. I also ate some beans, hoping that would give me some blood back, but it didn't.

Is it normal to start with a bleeding character?

I also noticed how everyone is chatting, even while waiting on the server. However, I can't seem to get the chat to work. I know your supposed to press "/", but that doesn't do anything for me (I'm using a German keyboard....?). Once I'm in the game, I get some menu when pressing "/". It gives me some orders and other phrases, but where can I actually type?

Finally, I read the thread about how to pick a server and it said I should look at the symbols next to the name - red won't work, yellow has a chance of working, green is what I should pick.

All of the DayZ servers are yellow, except for some that turn red when I click on them.

Again, newbie question: Is that normal?

I hope you can help me. I appreciate anyone taking the time. I'd be thrilled if someone experienced could show me around (but I'm kinda worried it would take an hour until I could join the same server...).

Nice to meet you all!

Hello. When you're stuck at 'Waiting for server response' and spawn at a forest or somewhere you can't move, it means that the server you went into isn't connected to the central server.

I would suggest leaving that server and looking for another if you're just stuck at that message I mentioned.

The player locations have been reset recently and I spawned at the coast somehow bleeding too, I had to use two bandages in order to stop my bleeding. Some have spawned with broken legs.

The , and . keys (Beside M) are used to change chat channels and yes, the / key beside them is used to chat. I would suggest checking the control options.

Yes the server being yellow is normal. Some DayZ servers are probably red because you don't have the files required by those servers. (Some servers are running the latest Beta Patch for ArmA 2 OA/CO which fixes some bugs, players using the beta can still join none-beta servers)

EDIT: Or it can be that the server isn't a DayZ one and doesn't allow any custom files (Mods) into the server. Or the server only allows certain mods to be used in it but not the one you're currently using.

Okay to answer most of you questions:

1. if you spawn into a forest and you can't move, you have probably been waiting for 10~15 minutes and entered debug forest. That is your cue to reconnect. DON'T reconnect if you don't enter a game within a few minutes tho', as it stresses the Hive server (central server).

It is quite normal that "waiting for server response" takes a few minutes! Don't reconnect immediately.

2. You don't spawn bleeding. What happened I don't know, but I'm fairly sure respawning will solve the problem. Oh and beans give you 200 blood back, but it is hardly noticable as it is one digit which changes and well, since you are bleeding it does not work.

What can be another thing: are you not confusing your health with the "thirst" indicator? Because I have a few times :P If you spawn and log off, and log on next day you are usually very thristy and hungry, and the waterdrop flashes red.

3. Not being able to chat is weird, maybe its because of your German keyboard. Have you tried just rebinding the key on your keyboard?

4. It is true that the red symbol only shows up when clicking on the server! It usually means they use the Arma2 beta patch. For best navigation, just type "dayz" in the host-field in your filter, because there should not be too many beta servers.

Regarding chat:

- for the chat

, and . to change channels

The control setup will only use the English button layout for me as well for some asinine reason. Always been that way with ArmA2 for me.

Big thanks to all of you!

I've managed to access the chat. It was "/" as mentioned everywhere, but somehow still didn't work. I've added the Numpad / to it and now just use that.

Thanks for the idea with the water - I was indeed thirsty, but I still kept losing blood (I could see the amount going down). But thanks anyway - I'm sure I would also have confused the blood and thirst icons.

Today I had a problem that whenever I left-clicked with my mouse, I only ended up throwing my bengal fire at the zombies. I ran off with two chasing me and lost one in the woods, but simply couldn't kill the other one because my chara didn't shoot. I tried accessing the gear and switching, but that didn't work. Any tips on how to avoid accidentally using other gear besides your gun? The mouse-wheel switch-function was disabled.

Also, how can I open doors? I found one that was open a crack, but I couldn't open it completely.

The mouse-wheel will only let you switch between your primary and secondary weapon (and do things like open doors, etc). You probably accidentally hit 'F,' which switches between your active weapon and other gear (like flares, chemlights, and grenades).

So, in summary:

-Mouse wheel to change which weapon is active

-F to change between active weapon and other gear

Best of luck!