Rick Grimer

Too many Guns.

Hi there,

First of all: I live in Berlin, Germany. This is very important for understanding my concerns.

When I see games like this and Zombie Movies, I always think: "Where do all those guns come from?" Not the whole world is like Nebraska. A Zombie Movie that takes place in Germany would be like a medieval battle. Finding a gun here, and I think in many other parts of the World is not like going into a fire station and you find a M4. Seriously, wtf. Why would there be military stuff in a Firestation? Finding a Gun and Ammo would be like christmas, birthday, Easter and E3 all in one. The only Place where you can find such Guns are Military Bases, Police Stations and maybe firing ranges. But the guns are always locked in a safe. Sure some would lie around because people try to defend but not in that extend. Oh and Automatic Weapons in Germany are like Non-Bandits in DayZ, there are almost none.

I dont know the lore and background of Chernarus but I think that doesnt matter, it could be called everything. Noone cares for the background of it.

So I think the game would be much more intensive with less guns, I mean really LESS guns. Maybe some pistols and old hunting rifles. Second, less ammo. Sure the guns would lie around because, lets say, a policeman tried to defend himself, got overrun, dropped the gun. But there would be only one magazin in it. I think you get my point. It would reduce banditry because people would really be carefull with their ammo and not everyone would have a gun, almost no one would have one. A bit more like "I am alive" the game. Guns and ammo were really rare there. It would also help having respect of zombies because by now they are no danger, just run into a house. But when you just have a hatchet or a Baseballbat you would watch your ass and it would be harder to kill another player because you have to sneak up to him and crack his bones.

Long story short: Less guns and ammo, please. Make it more like survival and not like Holidays in Texas.

• Like 13

Here is the USA, every gun store and a lot of people's houses.

Mine has an m4 in it for example. Just in case I wake up to a zombie infestation.

• Like 4

realism in games are good, but too much realism breaks it.. and what your are writing is "too much realism"

• Like 3

i live in usa and i too have guns in the house, bass pro shop down the road and my neighbor has a 50 cal barret. Not that unusual to me lol. and if u cant tell by my profile pic im a US Marine so this game doesnt have enough guns if you ask me

Edited by CrunchyBacon

Agree with OP, there are too many guns available and there is no point in having this high end weapons as well.

• Like 1

This would change DayZ in many ways. I do agree though that firearms are available in unorthodox places. I think it will remove from the gameplay experience though, im not sure. If rocket wants to add to realism, he should do something about the weapons.

Fuckin Nebraska? Maybe if you had more guns there wouldnt have been that ruler that killed a ton of people in the 40s the citizens could have stopped him...just sayin

• Like 2

Godwyns Law: Check.

Seriously dude: Shut up, go to school and start being productive.

Edit: And just so you know. Back in WWII almost everyone had a weapon because nearly everyone was in the Wehrmacht.

Edited by Rick Grimer
  • Like 2

Please dont fulfill every clichee you americans have here in germany. And besides: this is not a thread about Hitler, Gun Law or something. Its about DayZ.

• Like 4

Chernarus is a destabilized, high-crime, third-world, post-soviet nation suffering from a civil war involving civilian militia, as well as having lots of rural populace who hunt. Why is it odd that there are a lot of guns? Not every country is filled of defenseless sheep like Germany and Australia.

• Like 9

This would change DayZ in many ways. I do agree though that firearms are available in unorthodox places. I think it will remove from the gameplay experience though, im not sure. If rocket wants to add to realism, he should do something about the weapons.

It was a country in civil war before the infection (lets assume ARMA 2's campaign occurred before the infection), as well as a lot of rural people who need guns to hunt and protect livestock. It can also be assumed there was high crime, so high levels of both civilian and military weapons is reasonable. Guns in places like Firehouses and Deer Stands could be attributed to Guerrila Resistance Stashes.

• Like 2

As I said. It doesnt matter if its Chernarus or Tazmania or the freaking moon. Its about a game and the experience of playing it. No one cares for the background of Chernarus.

As I said. It doesnt matter if its Chernarus or Tazmania or the freaking moon. Its about a game and the experience of playing it. No one cares for the background of Chernarus.

Well people said it made no sense for guns to be so common, I explained that for the game's setting it makes sense. So whether or not "you care" it makes sense.

• Like 1

But it doesnt have to be Chernarus. This is DayZ, not Arma2. And for a Survival game its just more fun to have less guns.

Well guns can be crafted from just about anything you want if you don't care about safety or reliability. It only take a sturdy metal tube and something to strike the cartridge's cap.

I know in an apocalyps scenario i would rather have a junked zipgun in my pocket than find myself face to face with a stranger with an axe...

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

It was a country in civil war before the infection (lets assume ARMA 2's campaign occurred before the infection), as well as a lot of rural people who need guns to hunt and protect livestock. It can also be assumed there was high crime, so high levels of both civilian and military weapons is reasonable. Guns in places like Firehouses and Deer Stands could be attributed to Guerrila Resistance Stashes.

Ok thats more than i knew haha, i have not played the Arma campaign, so i just made an assumption with sweden in mind. But what youre saying seems correct so it explains the weaponry everywhere.

Can somebody please ship a brain over to america? I heard theyre rare among marines.

• Like 3

I'd like to see this:

Guns can jam/break and need maintenance.

Non-military weapons or low-grade ak's have a much much higher spawn chance. Deer Stands no longer drop higher military grade weapons but do drop more survival gear and binocs or the rare rangefinder.

Broader range of military weapons dropping countered by the removal of ammo crates. Ammo conversion should require empty clips where needed.

Eastern European military weapons spawn at military bases, Western military weapons spawn at Chopper crashes.

• Like 4

I know there's a lot of problems with PKing right now but I don't know if this is the answer. Guns need to be common enough that most survivors end up with them in relativity short order for survival and pvp (PVP is a major major part of this game like it or not). I'm looking forward to see if the ammo fix will balance PVP out a bit, I hope that it does. But I still want to have a gun available to me in relativity short order, its a survival game but in many places (maybe not Germany) guns are fairly common or at least not rare. In the event of an outbreak of bloodthirsty cannibals anywhere in the world you better believe people would be breaking out whatever firearms/other weapons they have and that's not even considering the weapons that would be available from the inevitable failed military/police response. Maybe a better idea would be to tweek the amount of ammo that spawns a bit, that might lead to people making tough decisions on how to spend their bullets rather then searching for extended periods for the weapon.

Really were kind of beating this to death though I think, this is a realistic game but still a game, I don't know how much fun id have crawling around in fields and towns with an crowbar eating beans and drinking coke without end and using a mods melee system to brokenly attack zombies and other players.