Sign in to follow this  
Teephoon

Solution for Alt-F4

Hay there,

I want to present you a solution for all the alt-f4 quitters.

It is based on the logout system of Guild Wars (Yes I played it a lot in the past) and there you had to wait for 20 seconds ingame sitting on the ground. This means anybody who tries to alt-f4 because he's being shot at has to wait for the "x" seconds and is still visible to zombies and survivors. This way they wouldn't try to escape to the desctop, but they will fight for their life.

What do you think about this?

Tee...

They will add a 5 sec timeout before you can abort! But the engine is currently preventing it

Oh okay.

But 5 sec is kind of few... I would wish more. At least 10.

Shouldn't be a problem to find a safe place to logout and wait 10 sec, but I also saw a lot of existing threads with a similar solution, so maybe this one can be closed again

alt f4 isn't a windows command? i think the only way to prevent this is to kill the character. then timer when logging out

The only way to prevent it is to keep the character present after the player has disconnected. In most MMOs the engine structure is designed around these sorts of restrictions but this isn't the case for Arma2, so whilst the word is that the devs are working towards it there's not ETA on a fix.

alt f4 isn't a windows command? i think the only way to prevent this is to kill the character. then timer when logging out

And how are you going to detect when someone is in combat or not? What you're suggesting is you die whenever you disconnect, what would be the point in playing if you can never stop once you start due to fear of death?

The only way to prevent it is to keep the character present after the player has disconnected. In most MMOs the engine structure is designed around these sorts of restrictions but this isn't the case for Arma2, so whilst the word is that the devs are working towards it there's not ETA on a fix.

The problem with that is the unfairness to players who genuinely lose their connection. Happened to one of my friends last night, heard TS disconnect him - we were outside a supermarket fending off zombies, if his character had remained in the world he would have run the risk of being killed or getting hurt for no fault of his own.

Two things.

We have hundreds of topics on this subject, do we need another.

If someone combat logs just move on. I'm not sure we need a thread creating for every time someone does it.

Ive never ever ALT F4, maybe logout but alt f4 never worked in game EVER for me

They should ban alt f4 users, me ill use the abort

Oh dont forget the blinking receiving screen, only wayout of that is contrl alt delete, shouldnt be punished for in game quirks

Edited by burts

Alt+f4 has cost me some good loot from people. Shot a guy in a sniper suit running in front of a super market with a buddy. Sniper was downed then turned to take out his friend. during that time the sniper left and i shot his buddy as soon as i did his buddy left.... This is ridiculous...

Could they just make it where if you have been shot in the last 30 seconds or you are bleeding from a bullet wound and you somehow disconnect it will simply kill you?