Sign in to follow this  
epsilon101

Making DayZ free

Rocket has already stated Dayz is going to be standalone, and will either require a 1 time payment or a monthly payment(yet to be decided).

Most likely it will require a 1 time $20-30 payment, similar to minecraft when it was in alpha.

If you can't pay $20-30 then you have a lot more problems than not being able to play this game.

You should also use the Search function, regardless of whether you're new or not its common sense to see if your questions have already been answered.

Searching is a universal, and if you can't do it, you shouldn't be allowed on the internet.

Now, please go downstairs and tell your parents that you should not be allowed on the internet anymore.

Also, go do some extra chores to get some money and put a few dollars in the swear jar.

Children these days

• Like 3

Did you read all my post? I said if the developer would make it that it will be stand alone or you don't have to use AO, seriously, read all of it. What, do you want so me kiddy pictures in it so that you will read all of it?

And how would the developer make the mod standalone when it's still in Alpha? He requires the base engine from ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead for the mod, which is a mod because it modifies Arma 2. So, when you get over yourself and decide to pay the 30 dollars, just 30, to buy a game which is great itself but better with Day Z, come back to the forums. Jesus, you won't even take criticism.

So your pre-teen brain can understand, I will put everyone's thoughts in a single post.

• Do not call people immature when you are.
  • Calling people out on their spelling/grammar? Learn it yourself first, I can find more than 3 mistakes in each of your posts.
  • There's this thing called "Google", which can search the internet for anything! That's right, anything! Try it out.
  • It will eventually be a stand-alone, but not for a few months, as it is only in the alpha stage.

Also, this. Grow the hell up.

Epic face palm, another troll? And this one is probably gay. Okay okay, have you looked at my posts? I'm new, so go fuck yourself elsewhere you gay faggot.

Also, OP just go torrent the game and play on non-hive servers.

It would help all of us out, because we wouldn't have to deal with an extra child during our play time; and you won't have to pay for the game.

Everybody wins

This is like saying 'oh, you should make it so your PC runs using only the monitor'.

Yes, it would be nice... But it just doesn't work like that.

DayZ uses the ARMA II: CO engine. There's gonna be a mod for ARMA 3, then a standalone game at some point in the future. If you want to play it now then you'll have to buy CO.

This thread went downhill rather fast.

Have you seen my new posts? I'm new. I don't have DayZ that's why I am asking them to make it be standalone. I don't know how to play it and I'm not yet a part of t he DayZ community, plus at least he said something less offensive! Your pretty cool, you didn't swear, at least your mature.

When they do make this game a standalone title it's still going to cost about the same, if not more, than Combined Ops. I actually hope it costs at least 50 bucks, ideally 100, to really piss of the hackers when they get banned.

I doubt this game will be "free" when it's standalone.

Yeah.

Let's make a Free Game. So the developers don't get paid.

Let's also make it so it doesn't have to use the engine it's based on.

Makes sense.

How stupid are you. Seriously.

No. You are, why should we pay for a game we might not know of it's value?

This isn't like the old days where people pull 'piracy is killing us crap' all over the internet. And it's so not the days where we pay for something and then whine about how bad it is. Oh wait, we still do that so meh. So stop bothering about whining about the concept of freebie being god damn awful to society...

DayZ as a mod is one thing, because as a friend told me, Rocket spent years trying to crack Arma II to be moddable, which shows how hard it would be for him to actually make it standalone because that requires a different set of skills and knowledge.

So at this point, even if he does make it a standalone, it will never come on par of the current DayZ you know and love, so stop getting your hopes up.

This thread went downhill rather fast.

When they do make this game a standalone title it's still going to cost about the same, if not more, than Combined Ops. I actually hope it costs at least 50 bucks, ideally 100, to really piss of the hackers when they get banned.

I doubt this game will be "free" when it's standalone.

Bzzzzzzzzzt! Wrong you idiot, pricing it at $50 will immediately kill any hopes for profitability and popularity.

DayZ has competition, and it's not a good idea to price it twenty dollars more than War Z.

Obvious ass kisser is obvious.

Every forum I go to that has development going on, people gets too hopeful about a general game that I totally can see that it has a good chance of failing. The community is DayZ's downfall, as they are hyped up about it, and when the game comes out they will start raging about the value of their money being wasted on it.

This is why you don't release alphas to the public.

Edited by dra6o0n
  • Like 1

No. You are, why should we pay for a game we might not know of it's value?

This isn't like the old days where people pull 'piracy is killing us crap' all over the internet. And it's so not the days where we pay for something and then whine about how bad it is. Oh wait, we still do that so meh. So stop bothering about whining about the concept of freebie being god damn awful to society...

DayZ as a mod is one thing, because as a friend told me, Rocket spent years trying to crack Arma II to be moddable, which shows how hard it would be for him to actually make it standalone because that requires a different set of skills and knowledge.

So at this point, even if he does make it a standalone, it will never come on par of the current DayZ you know and love, so stop getting your hopes up.

Nearly every game you(your parents) have ever paid for had an unknown value.

Furthermore, you aren't paying for Dayz, you are paying for Arma 2(which is a pretty damn good game on its own)

Now the last two paragraphs of your post betray your utter lack of knowlege of programming.

While it may be difficult to program some games, this is not one of those games.

Your friend sounds like a bad source for information.

Creating a standalone isn't much harder than modding a game into something it doesn't want to be.

Besides, there are more than just Rocket working on the standalone.

Your ignorance betrays you

• Like 1

My friend is a programmer who's worked with others on a engine far older than any of you would even know.

Plus I am taking programming classes and can see the extent of it thank you very much. I know what I am talking about.

Creating a standalone game IS harder than modding simply because you would lack the foundation that the game would require, which means the library would be needed, the source code to even start the game, run modules, and all that.

I am not talking about downloading a 'game maker' program and do it, I mean coding a game FROM SCRATCH.

You are probably thinking of simple games that you run from java or something, because real game takes only a tiny bit of that and they will literally blast off to a whole different level.

With Rocket's modding, he definitely is and was cracking Arma II for his mod, which means figuring out how it worked and inserting code into it to allow mods to be used.

As for value, we've have the concept of demos being used for the last century, so of course we understand the value of games.

Games are expensive not because they are good, but because it is more profitable to do so. The reason why you think value is unknown, is because you don't understand the business and marketing side of selling games. People are made to think that one thing is worth the cost, because publishers are dropping millions to promote it as so. And as such we can't know if the value is sufficient to the cost until someone buys it and reviews it.

So don't say Arma II and DayZ isn't one of those games, because it definitely is. It is no different to Gold Source engine where you made mods that overwrites the executable so you had to reconfigure all the libraries in it so it ran properly, and that was before Steam was created and before we had SDKs.

Six Launcher is no different to modding utilities that crack the game, and Arma II only gained the 'expansion' menu because it took notice of the modding community some time back, BEFORE DayZ even came out.

Game development is not a easy feat that you might think up logically in your head. It presents a lot of challenges that you will most likely overlook 80% of the time.

As a programmer, you must code in a lot of logical stuff, but even then problems presents itself in rhetorical format.

Edited by dra6o0n

My friend is a programmer who's worked with others on a engine far older than any of you would even know.

Plus I am taking programming classes and can see the extent of it thank you very much. I know what I am talking about.

Creating a standalone game IS harder than modding simply because you would lack the foundation that the game would require, which means the library would be needed, the source code to even start the game, run modules, and all that.

I am not talking about downloading a 'game maker' program and do it, I mean coding a game FROM SCRATCH.

You are probably thinking of simple games that you run from java or something, because real game takes only a tiny bit of that and they will literally blast off to a whole different level.

With Rocket's modding, he definitely is and was cracking Arma II for his mod, which means figuring out how it worked and inserting code into it to allow mods to be used.

As for value, we've have the concept of demos being used for the last century, so of course we understand the value of games.

Games are expensive not because they are good, but because it is more profitable to do so. The reason why you think value is unknown, is because you don't understand the business and marketing side of selling games. People are made to think that one thing is worth the cost, because publishers are dropping millions to promote it as so. And as such we can't know if the value is sufficient to the cost until someone buys it and reviews it.

So don't say Arma II and DayZ isn't one of those games, because it definitely is. It is no different to Gold Source engine where you made mods that overwrites the executable so you had to reconfigure all the libraries in it so it ran properly, and that was before Steam was created and before we had SDKs.

Six Launcher is no different to modding utilities that crack the game, and Arma II only gained the 'expansion' menu because it took notice of the modding community some time back, BEFORE DayZ even came out.

Game development is not a easy feat that you might think up logically in your head. It presents a lot of challenges that you will most likely overlook 80% of the time.

As a programmer, you must code in a lot of logical stuff, but even then problems presents itself in rhetorical format.

http://i.imgur.com/gFD5o.png

Games are expensive not because they are good, but because it is more profitable to do so.

Six Launcher is no different to modding utilities that crack the game, and Arma II only recently gained the 'expansion' menu because it took notice of the modding community.

Most of the issues Rocket encountered were caused because he was modding Arma 2 into a game it was not meant to be, as such many errors he encountered and is still dealing with today is because Dayz is so against how Arma 2 should be.

Creating a standalone would be harder than modding(as I said in my post), but not much harder. Since he would be using an engine of his choosing and designing the game, he wouldn't have the issues presented with turning Arma into Dayz.

It wouldn't take him years to accomplish, especially since he has help this time around.

It is unrealistic to think that a Mod such as this should be free.

Especially since it requires constant patching and maintenance to the database that stores character information.

The only reason it is free is because it's an alpha and is being tested.

But if you don't want to pay and support Dayz when it is released standalone, nobody is going to miss you.

DayZ is free, discussion on this point is moot until we learn more about the standalone.

Closed for topic devolution into flaming.