wildleaf

Class System

I was thinking that maybe Day Z could have some sort of class system. For example: explorer, medic, forager, bandit, scout, hunter, commando, and civilian all come to mind. Each class could have a different loadout (upon spawn), and perhaps excel in basic NON-COMBAT RELATED skills. I think it would add more depth to a player's respawn. Some classes might start out with a compass, hunting knife, blood pack, or whatever you thought necesasry. The class might even be displayed to other players on non-hardcore servers (I normally play on hardcore so I don't really know how this might work.) Some classes could be more useful for teamplay, others for looting/zombie slaying, and others for PvP.

Day Z seems like it could expand in almost any way, and I think this would might be a useful addition to the game.

I think this should be tested at least. Classes can add up more depth to the game and create diversity.

To MMOish...

I agree in a way, BUT a lot of people have different skills. If this were truly a zombie survival scenario.. then people of all different walks of life would be present. The "go prone and avoid zombie while scavenging for loot" type skillset wouldn't be the ONLY type of person that exists.

Maybe there could be some way to earn your class. Kind of like a merit badge.

I wouldnt recommend a class system, but maybe a "loadout" that is let a survivor choose 1-2 items they would like to start out with, that is, give up something they start out with now for something else in its place. I would gladly give up a can of beans for an extra magazine of ammo for example.

I wouldnt like to see some class system in DayZ. It will restrict our gameplay, like every MMO theme-park that does have a class system. It is also unrealistic like if you choose X class you cant use shotguns... nonsense.

But a system with skills, wich you can drop and take any skill at any time maybe could be interesting, with a skill points cap.

The class system would have one major rule: Never to interfere with combat situations. Your medic class can still roam the streets, shooting down noobs with his AK, and stealing their loot. But he'll still be able to use blood packs with greater efficiency, and bandages more so.

I don't like class systems in a simulator. It should be you yourself recognising your own strengths, and working with them. Selecting what you start off with though, is a better suggestion.

In a game that the average life span of is 30 minutes, classes is just unnecessary. It adds in a whole range of balance issues that just isn't worth the time, when you should be focusing on your own playstyle.

Rak and I.Ash both bring up good points. Maybe a loadout selector is really needed!

I would like to see skills and attributes (very limited as not to give old players a complete advantage over new players), but not rigid classes. Your class is up to you, your play style, the weapon you choose, and the gear you carry.

No period this is the kinda shit taht will ruin this game and lump it right back into the rest of the gaming industry

Skills, attributes, levels, classes... There is no need for them at all.

The players determine that themselves and know who they are playing as. Adding labels is just not needed at all.

If someone says they're a medic you have to decide if you can trust them to heal you or not. If they have a big title attached to them it totally removes that suspense.

I just don't have the words to convey what a terrible idea I think a class system would be for this game... Nothing about DayZ is suited to the concept of choosing a narrowly defined role before you even start playing. It's anathema.

I'm not even fond of the idea of choosing starting equipment, and I'd much rather see people starting with a small, random selection of kit, which would always include one secondary weapon (random chance of any non-suppressed pistol, with distribution weighted along the lines of current spawn rarity), but only a few useful items. For instance: 2 bandages, a compass and matches; or a hunting knife, a bandage, painkillers and a little random ammunition. That sort of thing.

[edit]

(I'd also be fine with Flashlight Only starts, as suggested here)

I was thinking this too

It would make sense, military setting, different people have different skills

You could have a rounded basic type (what we have now)

Engi- starts with tool box and can fix stuff with as little supplies as possible

Medic- obvious

Scout maybe?

Would make it more fun, more realistic, and make it more about surviving than killing

you make YOUR own class.

that's the point of dayz. do you want to carry a lot of food and water? or would you prefer to carry ammo. or medical supplies. there shouldn't ever be a class system in Dayz.

I was at one point on board with this to encourage grouping, but I've since changed my mind.

A lot of what many would consider "classes" is already limited by the ArmA 2 engine. Picking up a scoped weapon in ArmA 2 does not make you a "sniper" I challenge those of you that picked up ArmA 2 for Day Z

(and I thank you for it, BIS is a great modder friendly company that supports its games with patches long after release and the OFP, ArmA series is the premier milsim -they and it deserve the sales, publicity, and attention)

To go into the editor pick up the draganov place a target some distance away and hit it.

Missed didn't you. That's because its the actual damn scope picture and if you haven't figured out how to read it correctly and which aim point to use you never will hit.

-No need for a sniper class

Second challenge. In that same editor jump in a helicoptor and fly it around the island.

Did you get it off the ground on the first try? How long before you crashed? What was your altitude?

There are pilots on the domination servers that can push that slick at 220 miles an hour flying nape of the earth and land you safely and in one peice in a hot LZ.

-No need for a pilot class

The introduction of a variety of gear with different uses will negate any need for classes.

Want to be a medic, load up on bandages.

Want to be a doctor, scavenge surgical thread, a scalpel, forceps, and rubber tubing.

Want to be a sniper, get a scoped weapon and learn how to shoot it

Want to be a mechanic, get a tool kit

Want to be a hunter, find a knife, parts for a bear trap, construct a snare

Want to be a... you guys get the picture.

-Cheers

Want to be a medic' date=' load up on bandages.

Want to be a doctor, scavenge surgical thread, a scalpel, forceps, and rubber tubing.

Want to be a sniper, get a scoped weapon and learn how to shoot it

Want to be a mechanic, get a tool kit

Want to be a hunter, find a knife, parts for a bear trap, construct a snare

Want to be a... you guys get the picture.

[/quote']

The problem with that is each and every player already pretty much does all of this.

Once you've an alice or coyote pack, you've got enough space to do everything in the game.

We're simply way too self sufficient and almost never need to rely on another player's skills.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of system that allows players to specialize in some non-combat skills at the expense of other non-combat skills. For example an engineer might now use scrap metal to repair twice as much, but bandaging takes 3x longer.

It might seem like a rigid gamey system, but it's better than everyone being completely self sufficient superman clones.

Seriously does nobody read Rocket's community address?

He intentionally created this environment to NOT have the same game mechanics as other games. He called it an experiment, and even recommended mods that already mimic standard game types.

The idea is that there is NO artificial game mechanics or algorithms that make us different from one another. As someone else said: If you want to be a medic then just load up on bandages and blood packs.

If you want to be an engineer then go be one, find a toolbox, rebuild cars... nothing stops you from doing that now, you do not need an artificial game calculator to make you an engineer.

Technically a class system already exists, your class depends on what gear you select to equip, if your in a group you can assign roles to one another and priority over loot types so one person may focus on medical supplies.

In regards to a 'loud-out' selection for what kind of gear you spawn with...don't we already start with a everything we need?

Food, water, gun, medical supplies, flares. You get all you need, what role you become is your choice.

The ONLY kind of 'class' like mechanic this game could use is more emphasis on backpack types, for example if you have a medic backpack you'll heal people and yourself faster and maybe have a chance to not consume the item you need to use.

What would be the trade off? less inventory space, and your skin should change to reflect the bag type your carrying so you'd have a medic arm band or symbol on the backpack.

Another example would be the smallest backpack of them all, you've all seen it the czech pouch thing, it's less then your basic backpack in space so useless right? What if you made that backpack provide the player with a ghillie suit? it's light, carries next to nothing but gives you an edge in hiding, maybe even reduce zombie visual range on you.

The potential list goes on, the biggest bag makes you a looter...payoff is big inventory nothing more, an assault pack could provide extra protection vs bleed/knockout/broken bone chances and make you appear in soldier uniform helmet, boots, and vest included.

These are not game breaking suggestions, just a method of further tailoring roles in groups or even solo, so not everyone just grabs the big bag and stuff it full hogging everything they can. And even if say a bandit takes a ghillie suit it won't help him much looting other players if he can't carrying much more then his gun, ammo a lil food n drink, he won't have the inventory space to go looting so it's more useful for in groups for scout/sniper roles.

The idea is that there is NO artificial game mechanics or algorithms that make us different from one another. As someone else said: If you want to be a medic then just load up on bandages and blood packs.

If you want to be an engineer then go be one' date=' find a toolbox, rebuild cars... nothing stops you from doing that now, you do not need an artificial game calculator to make you an engineer.

[/quote']

I noticed this seems to be the most common opinion in the dayz community, but to be honest I think it's a bit short sighted and tends to be pushed by people that are new to the sandbox/ffa pvp concept.

With a coyote pack you can for example carry: mk48 lmg, cz550 sniper rifle, m9sd suppressed pistol, full meds, full food, full drink, nvgs, rangefinder, gps, matches, knife, map, compass, entrenching tool, toolbox, and you still have enough space leftover for car parts.

I don't want to be an engineer or a medic, but what I want is to not be a superman that does everything.

I'd like to tradeoff certain skills to gain in others, just like you would in real life.

I guess another way to iterate my point is, I want a sandbox where the players have a lot of incentive to depend on each other both in and out of combat. It doesn't have to be a rigid class system like the OP suggests, but anything is worth experimenting with over sticking with the status quo.

If you want to be an engineer then go be one' date=' find a toolbox, rebuild cars... nothing stops you from doing that now, you do not need an artificial game calculator to make you an engineer.

[/quote']

I noticed this seems to be the most common opinion in the dayz community, but to be honest I think it's a bit short sighted and tends to be pushed by people that are new to the sandbox/ffa pvp concept.

With a coyote pack you can for example carry: mk48 lmg, cz550 sniper rifle, m9sd suppressed pistol, full meds, full food, full drink, nvgs, rangefinder, gps, matches, knife, map, compass, entrenching tool, toolbox, and you still have enough space leftover for car parts.

I don't want to be an engineer or a medic, but what I want is to not be a superman that does everything.

I'd like to tradeoff certain skills to gain in others, just like you would in real life.

I guess another way to iterate my point is, I want a sandbox where the players have a lot of incentive to depend on each other both in and out of combat. It doesn't have to be a rigid class system like the OP suggests, but anything is worth experimenting with over sticking with the status quo.

Interestingly enough I have taught survivalist courses for years in multiple environments, mostly to military, and I can carry:

pistol with mags

rifle with mags

antibiotics, pain/allergy meds

knife + multitool

PVS14 nightvision + batt

paper maps + compass

GPS + Satcomms

Rangefinder + batt

Entrenching tool or shovel compact

Metric toolset

4 cans food

400ml fluids

Radio

Things like meds, matches, or a map hardly take up volume or weight but it sure maks the list look longer.

I see your point but I dont see why we need artificially created limitations. I grouped with three survivors and the guy that had a toolbox carried sandbags, fencing and our food. Didnt need to do it that way but we chose to.

I think this should be tested at least. Classes can add up more depth to the game and create diversity.

I wouldnt recommend a class system' date=' but maybe a "loadout" [. . .']

But a system with skills' date=' wich you can drop and take any skill at any time maybe could be interesting, with a skill points cap.

[/quote']

I'd like to tradeoff certain skills to gain in others' date=' just like you would in real life.

It doesn't have to be a rigid class system like the OP suggests, but anything is worth experimenting with over sticking with the status quo.

[/quote']

I wasn't really even suggesting a rigid class system. Just wanted to start a conversation, and I like a lot of the ideas that were posted here.

To the purists who read the title and basically flame.. you're not really adding anything to the conversation. A lot of these posts are pretty well thought out and could be expanded on.

is not a good idea, it's not a bad idea no longer matches the game is to remember that not an RPG, another Post-apocalyptic simulardor where he had to survive with their strategies and "friends".