Sign in to follow this  
thunderpimp

Why this community is so divided.

From what I can see, there are players all converging on this mod with their own ideas of what it was going to be. I see there are some EVE online players, maybe WOW and other MMORPG players, and probably quite a few FPS players like Battlefield. I used to be a Battlefield player before they butchered the series into a COD clone.

I did only purchase ARMA 2 for this mod because I was not around when Arma II was released, I was on an extended vacation. By the time I was back in the world, ARMA 2 was old, and ARMA 3 was on the horizon, which I am definetly looking forward to. I bought ARMA for this mod only, because of the open sandbox gameplay, and I've adapted to the game very well.

I am curious as to what games players have played prior to this and what stance they take on the direction they want this game to go. The players I have run into that are friendly, just gave off that WOW player vibe. Do the friendlier players tend to be those from the MMORPG genre? Are the more agressive players coming from games like EVE online and Battlefield? I am just curious to know what game you came from and what type of player you are. Does your taste affect your style of gameplay in DayZ?

It's divided because some people are masochistic and like to die and have a challenge.

And some players want to have fun with little to no challenge.

Also some people "Bandits" Like to take the moral low ground.

While "Survivors" take the moral high ground.

• Like 3

Kinda the same here, battlefield 2 instincts make me want to blow people away but i found this game from searching for zombie games and i find the thrill of meeting other players quite the rush especially when the shots ring out, i think the absolute freedom of choice makes it a unique zombie survival experience

You forgot the "minecraft mentality" of wanting to build camp towns and extremly opposing "griefing".

Ive played most all games you list...the reason we play is we can change playstyles on a whim....we can be a bandit type one day, a medic next, than a helper of newbs etc. Thats what makes true sandbox games appeal to everyone im not locked into a class/playstyle I do what I want and I dont have to look for that dumb fucking next quest hub.

Came from a G mod RP community. Fail RP was ruthlessly dealt with (RDM, killing people for no reason). When I first started DayZ was very reluctant to shoot anyone. Slowly changing though.

Like giving games my own RP element.

Kill, kill, kill... or be killed

That's what I learnt in all the games I played so far and in DayZ it did not change... even though I gave it 5 day credit and tried to be friendly.

According to your question: APB Reloaded(MMOTPP)

Edited by AdeliaVids

I have played fps since Medal of Honour. Original. Then into Original COD. Then into bf2. Basically FPS through and through, Played alot of Project reality on the BF2 platform. I also agreee that BF3 has leaned too far toward COD. But still miles better,

As far as this is concerned I play it stealthy. Avoid contact if I can unless I have a sniper and a clear shot. Which is completely opposite to my BF3 Play which is pretty much run and gun.

sc -> d2 -> americas army -> warcraft3 / frozen throne -> dota -> GunZ -> runescape -> Cod4 (on xbox) -> l4d -> all cods up to BO -> sc2 -> battlefield bad company 2 -> league of legends -> bf3 -> diablo 3 -> DayZ

think thats all the online games ive played for a decent amount of time over the years. ofc some games i picked up again and played for a bit.

also a whole bunch of RPGs that took up a few hundred hours.

Diablo 3 was probably the last MMOish game I played.

I played the Call of Duty series since the fourth game and continued to play it until Black Ops. I had a lot of enjoyment roflstomping kids with my friends / trolling / and playing custom games.

With that said the trolling mentality & so forth I have abandoned for this game due to the permadeath and my feelings towards resetting another player.

However, my respawn mentality is still one of Call of Duty, in that I don't care if I die. I'll just respawn.

Edited by Afgoo

Myth: DayZ is a Zombie Survival Sandbox Simulator

Reality: Zombies are easy, players are KoS, community is worse than 4chan, no survival aspect, and nothing progressive to do in the game.

From what I can see, there are players all converging on this mod with their own ideas of what it was going to be. I see there are some EVE online players, maybe WOW and other MMORPG players, and probably quite a few FPS players like Battlefield. I used to be a Battlefield player before they butchered the series into a COD clone.

I did only purchase ARMA 2 for this mod because I was not around when Arma II was released, I was on an extended vacation. By the time I was back in the world, ARMA 2 was old, and ARMA 3 was on the horizon, which I am definetly looking forward to. I bought ARMA for this mod only, because of the open sandbox gameplay, and I've adapted to the game very well.

I am curious as to what games players have played prior to this and what stance they take on the direction they want this game to go. The players I have run into that are friendly, just gave off that WOW player vibe. Do the friendlier players tend to be those from the MMORPG genre? Are the more agressive players coming from games like EVE online and Battlefield? I am just curious to know what game you came from and what type of player you are. Does your taste affect your style of gameplay in DayZ?

never played EVE or WoW, but i played the shit out of battlefield. i am still friendly.

You forgot the "minecraft mentality" of wanting to build camp towns and extremly opposing "griefing".

Oh you mean like, how real life works... ok... I wasn't aware Minecraft was the godfather of CIVILisation.

@OP

I've played more games than days you've been alive most likely. I am the definition of a gamer... I'm not specifically a GOOD gamer by any means (though I have my moments of sheer awesomesauce, like most of us do). I came from pinball... like the old mechanical ones. My first digital game experience was tic-tac-toe on the C64, and PONG on the ATARI. Since then I have visited all game types from FPS to RTS to RPG to MMO to action platformer, to driving, to.... well, you name it.

DayZ is very loosely following a gaming principal I myself have been actively working to achieve for the last several months (since October last year) though the idea has been in my head for over 10 years. The whole sandbox thing is appealing, but a sandbox without boundaries even more-so.

~Sol

Edited by Sol