Sign in to follow this  
Sushin

How to be friendly but not stupid?

I used to be a strict friendly player, but after briefly joining the dark side, it's a lot easier to think like a bandit.

It's hard being friendly, so I'm wondering the best way to go about it. Whenever I see a person I gravitate towards them, but that's not always the best idea. It seems like a psychological game.

The number one thing, I believe, is to try and start communicating with players from a defensive position. From there, you can determine whether they are friendly or not, but this leaves a lot of questions.

Should you give away your presence or not by establishing communication?

If you don't you can possibly hold someone up. Tell them not to turn around or move if you have them in their sights. They may disconnect but that would keep you safe, at least. They might stay if they don't think you're going to shoot them, and why would you if you have just held them up? Just make sure you aren't bluffing when you tell them not to move.

If you do call out, it's similar to warning a bear in the woods about your presence. A player is less likely to shoot you if you call out that you are friendly, and if they reply you can start deciding whether or not you can help each other. That's the hardest part though.

Whatever you do, don't give away your position before you know who you're talking to. Asking "Is anyone in the church?" alerts players that you are outside the church and that you are probably about to come in, giving them time to prepare for you.

If anyone else has any tips, or useful stories, please share them.

My tip is just shoot anyone if you don't know them. All problems solved. :P

My tip is just shoot anyone if you don't know them. All problems solved.

That might help, if you are in a group allready or if you want to play as a loner anyways, but if you want to really get the full experience of the survival-feeling i would recommend playing "friendly but not stupid"wise.

I like the idea of sushin because i made it through same events like described, often endet up as a bandit because i got shot at.

I would like to have some radio-funktion for teaming up or some "hands up i surrender" or "winking" animations, to intensify the ingamecommunityfeeling.

Just shooting at everything that moves, while camping in a bush with a AS50, a silenced gun, wearing a ghillie-suit, is waay too easy and kills the game.

Edited by da wuD

Clap.gif

@Brett

... for your great and incredible smart hunting method ... *facepalm*

@sushin - have a eye on the other guy everytime ... and when in comes to an face off ... and he has a gun, don´t trust him for a second until he lower his gun ...

... lone wolf players mostly shoot first and then they look who you are ... that are the most dangerous players imo.

Better look out for groups ...

Edited by Da Mikey

@sushin - have a eye on the other guy everytime ... and when in comes to an face off ... and he has a gun, don´t trust him for a second until he lower his gun ...

... lone wolf players mostly shoot first and then they look who you are ... that are the most dangerous players imo.

Better look out for groups ...

I don't know if that's reliable. Groups have a sense of community so they are just as likely to shoot outsiders on sight, especially to keep from losing a member. I think the same rules apply, if you can open up a line of communication to a group, it's more likely that one of the players inside it will not shoot you and convince their friends to do the same (unless they are a bandit group). Loners are more unpredictable though.

Approaching players is hard. Any requests made to a player may come off as suspicious. I asked a guy to type once instead of talk because I couldn't hear him, and after he wouldn't, I realized asking someone to type is a way to make them vulnerable.

You can try saluting out of view, which will lower your weapon so you aren't pointing it, and then looking at other players won't make it look like you are pointing your gun at their face, but it's not easy to request that another player does the same.

Edited by Sushin

I don't know if that's reliable. Groups have a sense of community so they are just as likely to shoot outsiders on sight, especially to keep from losing a member. I think the same rules apply, if you can open up a line of communication to a group, it's more likely that one of the players inside it will not shoot you and convince their friends to do the same (unless they are a bandit group). Loners are more unpredictable though.

Approaching players is hard. Any requests made to a player may come off as suspicious. I asked a guy to type once instead of talk because I couldn't hear him, and after he wouldn't, I realized asking someone to type is a way to make them vulnerable.

You can try saluting out of view, which will lower your weapon so you aren't pointing it, and then looking at other players won't make it look like you are pointing your gun at their face, but it's not easy to request that another player does the same.

I spawned into a group of 5 using a group chat function. One wanted to shoot me but it wasn't hard to become allies with them. I suppose having no weapon helped. Not all groups are bad. We later became a band of 7 after we ran into two others. Of course, we got shot at by some less friendly players. But groups do work out. Or can,