robin929

Nighttime is NOT realistic

The words "Game" and "Realistic" can never go together. It's impossible for a game to be realistic because its not real.

Don't know what game.you guys have been playing....

Or if you need your vision checked but in RL I can generally see pretty damn far at night..

http://www.astro-observer.com/dark/img/large/usa_mex.jpg

Unless you're in one of those pitch black areas, you suffer from light pollution. It can be, and is, as dark in real life as it is in DayZ. Seeing as Chernarus (and I'm guessing the rest of the country/area as well) has no electricity, I'd say there's next to no light pollution there.

Just wait for the half/full moon to cycle, it'll get plenty bright then.

I thought Dayz was a game that strives for realism

Not DayZ. ArmA 2 was supposed to be realistic since its a mil sim

When artificial light goes away and no longer reflects back to Earth, therefore making things lighter, the whole world goes pitch black like in Day Z.

http://www.astro-obs...rge/usa_mex.jpg

Unless you're in one of those pitch black areas, you suffer from light pollution. It can be, and is, as dark in real life as it is in DayZ. Seeing as Chernarus (and I'm guessing the rest of the country/area as well) has no electricity, I'd say there's next to no light pollution there.

Just wait for the half/full moon to cycle, it'll get plenty bright then.

I've lived in one of those pitch black areas, on a clear night you can drive down the highway w/o headlights, yet i can't see 5 feet in front of me in DayZ with zero cloud cover and a sky full of stars ;/

I can remember doing night navigation in the Marines in North Carolina and it was pitch black. There is a place I go camping in Tennessee called Big South Fork and there is nothing around but wilderness and it is pitch black also.

I've lived in one of those pitch black areas, on a clear night you can drive down the highway w/o headlights, yet i can't see 5 feet in front of me in DayZ with zero cloud cover and a sky full of stars ;/

Was there a new moon like there currently is in DayZ?

Once the moon cycles and half/full moon appears it'll be a lot brighter.

If they just fix flashlights so they dont take pistol slot playing nighttime would actually be quite fun

M4A1/M4A3 has flashlight. Character should at least make an ATTEMPT to point the flashlight somewhere near in front of him when doing anything but walking at a mile a week's pace.

Edited by ninjaholic

I thought Dayz was a game that strives for realism

Because zombies are realistic.

Because zombies are realistic.

I see zombies every day. On the bus, in traffic going to work. Without thinking, again and again and again.

You city slickers actually seem like you've never been at the countryside (no illumination) at night. ;)

It IS pitch black there, except full moon.

You city slickers actually seem like you've never been at the countryside (no illumination) at night. ;)

It IS pitch black there, except full moon.

Which actually provides a shitload of illumination... so...

Which actually provides a shitload of illumination... so...

And it also does so in DayZ... So...

It has been said before that night time in the Arma 2 engine was designed to require some light if you want to be able to see, however in the campaign you are always equipped with NVGs so it's not a problem, but in DayZ NVGs are rare and there is no external light e.g. light posts. Hopefully this will be somehow fixed.

I don't think the main issue is how light or dark it is at night, I think the way you see at night should be more realistic. You have two types of light receptor cells on your retina. One type (cones) sees all colours but can't see in low light, and the other (rods) can see in low light but only in shades of blue. You have a strong concentration of cones in the centre of your eye, allowing for great accuracy and detail in the centre of your vision. The rods are most prevalent just around this central point and are completely absent from the centre of your retina. This means that at night, everything appears blue and fuzzy and you basically cannot see anything you look directly at.

This is what I think it should look like at night in DayZ; fuzzy, blue and blank in the centre.

Edited. Feel like a retard. (I`ve played a few times at night but not enough to notice that.)

Thanks below poster. :)

Edited by Tarkastio

Some sort of brightness changes would be nice, such as moonlight and different phases of said moon, but in most scenarios you should not be able to see shit still.

It's already the case, the game simulate moon phases seasonal light adjustment and the star procession during the years. Unless there is soething wrong, grab a calendar and try to log into a night server when the calendar say it's full moon.

No moon + no electricity = PITCH BLACK DARKNESS

What is unrealistic is that you could turn up the gamma setting in your eyes. But there's nothing to be done about htat. Because you can do it outside of dayz via your vid settings.

It's not made to be realistic...

and of course a noob would own a server

do you like using your mother's credit card?

it's a zombie apocalypse simulator... herp derppp

• Like 1

Hopefully this will be somehow fixed.

That would require it to be broken first... And it isn't broken.

And before you start on about power for street lights if there was a real zombie apocalypse most power would be gone within 2 weeks of infection becoming a pandemic so there wouldn't be any street lights. Only generators would provide that and they, in turn, wouldn't have fuel past a month at most due to local populace looting petrol for personal usage. Again, no street lights. People would resort to burning furniture and tree wood for heat and light. The intelligent would use steam power to clean water and provide a couple watts of energy for basic things like sanitary indoor cooking hobs, bulbs and recharging mobiles and radios. Mobiles wouldn't last past the 6 month mark anyway because of lack of network maintenance and we'd all resort to AM radio frequencies anyway. But there'd still be no street lights. We'd be able to recharge batteries for flashlights though. And you already have one of those.

Edited by ninjaholic