Skaterkidd92

Looking at building my computer for gaming on Day Z.

If your on a budget you probably don't need an SSD. I would drop that and put the money in a better GPU. Also not only are power supplies that come with cases usually bad but rosewill isn't exactly known for reliability. For PSU's I'd recommend Antec, corsair, seasonic, or XFX.

Oh and you could slightly cheaper RAM. The speed of it barely makes a difference.

After a bit of looking I'd recommend this GPU over your current one.

http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Of course if you were to drop the SSD you could upgrade either the GPU or CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077

Is slightly more expensive than your current CPU but if you drop the unnecessary SSD you can easily afford it.

Edited by Shikhee

Don't listen to any of the previous posters. They are just saying things off the collar and have no idea what they're talking about.

Case and point:

You mention all these things you're buying for your system and fail to mention WHAT MONITOR YOU HAVE OR WHAT RESOLUTION YOU'LL BE RUNNING.

How is anyone suppose to know how a system will run the game with no resolution stated???

SURE! It will run DayZ maxed on UBER HIGHER EVERYTHING WHATEVER with a 550gtx @ 640x480.

gg, have fun taking advice from all these noobs. They may be vets in game but they have no idea what they're talking about with computer hardware. They're just buying stuff that is better than other stuff and putting it in a box and plugging it in.

I could give you helpful information however you seem quite content to follow all of these opinionated uneducated computer kids.

I know how a system will run a game by the fact i have been building computers for a while, do you really think a dual core will run shit now days at a resolution of 1024x768 and above? I am honestly questioning your ability to speak on the matter as you cant even give a good recommendation on what base parts to start with. You talk as though you are better then the rest of us, I'm betting that over confidence is just coming from the fact that you have the common sense to pick a motherboard the has an AM3+ socket for a CPU that has an AM3 socket requirement. I didnt list out the highest quality parts for him, i didnt give him a guide on how to put it together, i didnt tell him about liquid cooling and you know why? im judging off of what he started with that he doesnt want to spend 2 grand for a gaming computer right now. and no shit we are opinionated.... its a forum asking for our opinion on what he picked out. As far as uneducated goes, I would like to hear what you have accomplished, what you have a degree in, what college you went to, where have you worked in I.T. how many years have you been building computers. Maybe before you judge us and throw us all into a group you figure out that.. well who would have guessed, some do know two shits about computers

I know how a system will run a game by the fact i have been building computers for a while, do you really think a dual core will run shit now days at a resolution of 1024x768 and above? I am honestly questioning your ability to speak on the matter as you cant even give a good recommendation on what base parts to start with. You talk as though you are better then the rest of us, I'm betting that over confidence is just coming from the fact that you have the common sense to pick a motherboard the has an AM3+ socket for a CPU that has an AM3 socket requirement. I didnt list out the highest quality parts for him, i didnt give him a guide on how to put it together, i didnt tell him about liquid cooling and you know why? im judging off of what he started with that he doesnt want to spend 2 grand for a gaming computer right now. and no shit we are opinionated.... its a forum asking for our opinion on what he picked out. As far as uneducated goes, I would like to hear what you have accomplished, what you have a degree in, what college you went to, where have you worked in I.T. how many years have you been building computers. Maybe before you judge us and throw us all into a group you figure out that.. well who would have guessed, some do know two shits about computers

Thank you! At least someone understands that not all of us have the largest budget. I will be updating the post with some new stuff I put together.

Thank you! At least someone understands that not all of us have the largest budget. I will be updating the post with some new stuff I put together.

Yeah i have been there before, and just upgraded one part at a time if you have too, spreading out the major upgrades over a little while helps so much.

EDIT: when looking for a graphics card sometimes the company does matter btw. Some companies will have a version with more video ram, some will have a bigger PCB with more fans, some just look cool, and some a "factory overclocked"

so it does make a bit of a difference, also the companies customer service is going to be better or worse

Edited by Butcher71793

Stay away from AMD and BIOSTAR. ESPECIALLY BIOSTAR. Asus is the brand you want to look at for building your own rig.

AMD has never done me wrong in the past, id say when choosing between brands on processors and GPU's is more about preference (I like AMD processors, but Nvidia GPU's). Asus is a great brand! I love my Asus Sabertooth 990fx

Edited by Butcher71793

Yeah! Lets compare stats with a guy over the intrawebs! J/K

I was only drawing attention to the fact that no resolution was stated so no "goal" for the system to produce was evident and there were 10 or more posts all outlining this and that and not a single one of them asked the resolution being attempted.

I love posts like this in all honesty. Its not like you can google "Arma II system requirements" or "Operation Arrowhead system 60fps" or ANYTHING that would give you 1000's of results to peruse and make a decision on whether what you have picked out will successfully run the game. Actually there are probably >10 posts on this very forum with the exact same topic.

Why would anyone want to buy their own parts, build their own system and not do any research as to each components performance capability, not even taking in to account this particular game's performance.

No need to ask questions, its all out there on the web if you use your brain. If you don't use your brain, DayZ is probably a game you're not going to like anyway.

In answer to your question, my first computer was an Apple IIe in 5th grade, my second was an Osbourne 1 in 7th grade. I took computer classes with adults at the University as a child. My degrees are in CS and IT but I don't enjoy working in the field as its constantly changing and I consider myself more of a hobbyist. Currently I'm on my third water cooled system. Stats mean nothing, I'm not special, nor is anyone else that purports they are. Its all irrelevant as anyone with means can throw money at something and come out with a "my epeen is bigger than yours".

The OP was just wanting some helpful information about a system without listing probably the most important specification involved and all subsequent posters were happy to obligue with random system information and no mention to the OP about his original system listings deficiency.

Its like someone who posts, "Arma locking up, artifacting" and then goes on to disparage about why things aren't working and how he feels about it and giving no relevant system/driver information so anyone could possibly answer him. Its like the forums are a place to voice your woes with technical issues and tell us how you "feel" about it when none of that information can be used to reach a resolution.

Edited by Cinnabuns

throw in $30 - $40 more and get a 560 Ti. you'll be happy.

^This. I have the 560Ti, and it runs Arma II and DayZ great.

You should build a pc to run Crysis on ultra high settings....then no other game will matter :)

AJ

Who the hell recommends against a SSD? That is the single most, cheapest upgrade to a computer that will give the most appreciable performance gain (esp with Dayz). The real issue with him running a SSD on that build is that the board he picked is SATA II not SATA III so it will get bottlenecked at the board. My recommendation. If you can afford it, go with the SSD. Storage drives are cheap.

This is my current build for the most part. Thought I'd give my 2 cents.

CPU:Intel Core i5 3570k - 219.99

MOBO:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H -120

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 - 199.99 - 10.00 rebate

Ram:Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB- 53.99 (You can add more later)

Storage:OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD-114.99 OR Seagate 1TB 7200rpm- $80 (You can add either of them later, need one to begin with)

CASE:Antec One Computer Case-49.99

POWER:Corsair TX650 V2-89.99 - 10.00 rebate

(Optional) CPU COOLER:Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus-24.99 (You can get later)

Optical Drive- $19.99

Total After Rebates: 815 (Considering you go with the 1TB, and you hold off on the CPU Cooler

I'm a big Intel fan and I'm surprised nobody else proposed an Intel build. Intel beats AMD 9/10 times with gaming performance. I also like to have a general rule about spending near the same on a CPU as a GPU. Good luck trying to run a $400 graphics card with a $100 CPU.. It will likely bottleneck and your CPU will keep you from your max potential. The BEST thing about making your own computer is that once you have it, you can upgrade slowly to keep up with changing times. A stand-a-alone graphics card in a desktop compared to a REALLY expensive gaming laptop, still blows it away.

The build I offered is a medium-Higher end build, and feel free to change what you want. I went with the new ivy bridge, considering its $5 more. You really don't need any more RAM then 8gb for the most part, and can upgrade easily later. With this build or a build close to it you can easily play BF3, crysis, Minecraft lol, whatever your hearts desire. I picked a z77 motherboard because their designed for the new ivybridge CPU's.

Really dont cheap out on a good power supply, the 80+ certified are more efficient meaning lower electricity bills and just overall a safer bet.

I'd use amazon and new egg if you can, Amazon has better prices on a lot of thigns and new egg has better prices for things too. If you can bundle shipping i guess do it.

Edited by Tyranus The Malevolent

Get a fast SSD. Perfomance in Arma improves and everything else is starting up like a blast. Connecting to servers is much faster as well. There's also a trick to put DayZ-files in a RAM disk. Search youtube for a how to.

CPU in modern gaming is secondary. A good one is enough. No need for the best. 2 cores are enough. An Intel i3 for example.

Get the best video card your budget allows!

4 GB of decent RAM is enough. More is always better but will not show in FPS.

Edited by tommes

You should build a pc to run Crysis on ultra high settings....then no other game will matter :)

AJ

I hate this. Whenever anyone mentions a rig they have made its always "I CAN RUN CRYSIS YEEEHH".

Crysis isnt the benchmark anymore.

If you're building ar rig then get the best you can afford. If you can afford a big high end rig then get that. If you can only afford a $700 then my advice would be not to bother and save up a bit more and get something beasty. If you build it just to play DAYZ then you will get dissapointed when you want to play games in the future.

My idea of a new rig is $1300-$1400 minimum (converted from GBP£). But thats just me. I cant bare having a rig that when I get a new game I have to think to mysel "I hope my computer can run it"

Edited by Vetrox

I hate this. Whenever anyone mentions a rig they have made its always "I CAN RUN CRYSIS YEEEHH".

Crysis isnt the benchmark anymore.

If you're building ar rig then get the best you can afford. If you can afford a big high end rig then get that. If you can only afford a $700 then my advice would be not to bother and save up a bit more and get something beasty. If you build it just to play DAYZ then you will get dissapointed when you want to play games in the future.

My idea of a new rig is $1300-$1400 minimum (converted from GBP£). But thats just me. I cant bare having a rig that when I get a new game I have to think to mysel "I hope my computer can run it"

Word, I just dumped $1100 into new parts and am pretty happy with the results. Don't be afraid to recycle your ATX case or optical drives if compatible with the new motherboard. I saved a few hundred doing this.

Why do you have two hard drives? I would get 1 regular 1TB hd and a SSD. A SSD will run the game so quickly.