I've started the game just two days ago. It was night. I had no gun, food, map or whatever. The

first zombie I saw gave me enough creeps to decide not to enter the first town I found. After searching

one of the houses on the outskirts I've found an... empty tin can. Encouraged by my very first finding,

I've decided to look for another house. And then it happened - zombies somehow noticed me and I started

running. I ran to the hills and... wow! I managed to lose them, unhurt. Somehow I found another settlement. Being more careful this time, no zombie found me. Unfortunately, the only thing I've found was some Lee Enfield bullets and a can of food. Still - no gun. I had to go to sleep.

Now it's daytime. Soon after leaving, I've noticed a large building, a barn possibly, far away. I was already starting to dehydrate and hoped to find something to drink. Dodging the undead, I've entered the barn and... unbelievable! A winchester rifle and 30 bullets. Great. Now I can rule the world - I thought. But what will I use it for, if I'll die of thirst soon?

Knowing that there's not much time I approached another village, being less careful than before. Zeds noticed me and a whole horde started chasing me. I had nowhere to run with the coast on my left and a plain field to the right. I've decided to fight. Bleeding heavily, with my vision blurred, I stood there with a pile of 17 very dead bodies under my feet. I bandaged my wounds and started to search through this mess.

Unbelievable. A can of coke. It quenched my thirst, but still I was heavily wounded. Eating the canned food didn't helped much. Also I knew very soon I'll get thirsty again. I've entered the town, cleared of zombies. And guess what. I've found a full water canteen, more beans, a hatchet and a hunting knife.

I'm a PC gamer for over 15 years now. And this is my best gaming experience ever.

Edited by atre88
  • Like 27

Its so great to see such positive feedback from new players.

Best of luck mate!

Live long!

Stay strong. and watch this

---->

• Like 4

I'm a PC gamer for over 15 years now. And this is my best gaming experience ever.

This.

Really.

Ah, the feeling. Ah, the horror.

Oh, and... Welcome!

I'm finding this game to be a unique and very satisfying experience.

Every time I watch a zombie apoc movie, I always end up thinking about how I would do things differently (i.e., smarter) than the movie's characters. Now I have a zombie-apoc-survivor-simulator in DayZ to prove to myself I would survive.

Anyway, my advice to a new player:

- Most important items: canteen, hunting knife, matches, hatchet. With these you can manage thirst, kill animals and harvest their meat, and then cook that meat to manage hunger and recover blood.

- Most important skills: moving with stealth around zombies, losing zombies when you've been seen/heard, and finding animals for meat.

Initially (and perhaps even long-term), finding a good gun / ammo is simply not part of what's needed to survive.

Stories like this inspire me.

They inspire me to grab my AS50 and head to Cherno.

Avoid Cherno. Got it.

Until you get more familiar or it's a dead server, avoid Cherno, Elektro and Stary. The terribads snipe newbies in those locations for easy murder counts.

Sounds like you're having a blast though, and that's awesome!

Well, I should have listened to you. After I got some decent gear including ALICE backpack, colt 1911 and lots of supplies (morphine & bloodpacks included) I was suddenly sniped in the middle of the field, while crawling to Elektrozavodsk powerplant. No warning, no questions. Most sadly, that was my first encounter with another player.

Nevertheless, I'm starting a new exciting life ;)

• Like 1

Well, I should have listened to you. After I got some decent gear including ALICE backpack, colt 1911 and lots of supplies (morphine & bloodpacks included) I was suddenly sniped in the middle of the field, while crawling to Elektrozavodsk powerplant. No warning, no questions. Most sadly, that was my first encounter with another player.

Nevertheless, I'm starting a new exciting life ;)

sadly, that will be the typical encounter with other players. stick to cover as much as possible, specially near high traffic areas. sometimes it's better to sprint through open areas with a little evasion thrown in. possibly in bursts... i'm up...they see me...im down... try and avoid servers with tags enabled as well, those can give you away even if you are well concealed. the most important thing though, death is a major part of the game so don't let it frustrate you. :D

If your crossing a field and you think there are snipers around, just run for it, a running target is harder to hit than a crawling target. Basically if you're in Cherno/Elektro, just run. You can ignore Zed since there's so many 2 doored buildings

Stories like this inspire me.

They inspire me to grab my AS50 and head to Cherno.

oh you must be good.

Thanks for more tips, guys. I've started a new life between Cherno and Elektro. I can say I'm not lucky - during my first life I couldn't find anything but trash, now within the first hour I've gathered some food and drinks. I also got myself a hatchet and a winchester (no bullets unfortunately). With this supplies I'm heading north - where according to your tips I'll have much bigger chances of not encountering any bandits.

Any ideas where should I look for a box of matches?

Oh and one more thing. My GF was watching me playing when I was shot by this bandit. I explained her what happened, and her response was "Well, I guess you should become a bandit too". I told her, that shooting other players on sight just to get some gear isn't cool. And then she said "It's you or them".

And here's another Q to you guys: my experience tells me, that every player is a bandit (1 encounter with another player = 1 death). How is your experience? Do you actually meet people in this game who aren't just looking for a way to grab your gear? How often does it happen?

Edited by atre88

Nice one =)

I just had a good start also.

Spawned at Otmel, ran up the hill to the deer stand not far away - yes to the ak47 there with 2 mags =)

Then went up to Rog found 2 dead bodies on my way up, with nothing on them.

So took my time, then went into the tower got to the top and heard some gun shots to the north.

Come back down and seen a dude go into the room in the arch way entrance.

So I camped the entrance - holly there is 2 of them,

Being shot twice before this spawn, finding 2 other dead bodies, I knew it was either me or them.

Shot the first one and just waited about 15 minutes later he come's out and crouches next to his mate body...Boom head shot!

Looted there corpes, then headed towards Pusta and found some tents....Im loving this game.

So, well. I'm still alive. And I did it - I've killed another player. Didn't wanted to do so, but he wouldn't react to my messages. I didn't need any stuff, but was afraid he'll spot me. I shot him twice with my Lee Enfield. I grabbed his stuff, pretty nice stuff I have to say, but I've got this moral hangover - maybe he just didn't noticed my messages? Maybe he was the guy who helps noobs like me? Or maybe in fact, after hearing my messages he was going to hunt me down. The player's name is Projekt X - if you're reading it and in fact you didn't want to threat me - then I'm sincerely sorry.

About the game experience: One of you guys, Jtyler1995 said that this game is full of decision. You were right bro.

• Like 1

Thanks for more tips, guys. I've started a new life between Cherno and Elektro. I can say I'm not lucky - during my first life I couldn't find anything but trash, now within the first hour I've gathered some food and drinks. I also got myself a hatchet and a winchester (no bullets unfortunately). With this supplies I'm heading north - where according to your tips I'll have much bigger chances of not encountering any bandits.

Any ideas where should I look for a box of matches?

Oh and one more thing. My GF was watching me playing when I was shot by this bandit. I explained her what happened, and her response was "Well, I guess you should become a bandit too". I told her, that shooting other players on sight just to get some gear isn't cool. And then she said "It's you or them".

And here's another Q to you guys: my experience tells me, that every player is a bandit (1 encounter with another player = 1 death). How is your experience? Do you actually meet people in this game who aren't just looking for a way to grab your gear? How often does it happen?

I've met with only 3 players.

The first one was friendly, had a gun.

The next one was like a new spawned charcter.

The last one MURDERED ME

Alright. I can see that humanity isn't displayed anymore, but still the table in the right upper corner uses both "Murders" and "Bandits killed" counters. My latest kill counted as a "murder" - does it mean that the guy I shot was a "good guy" and that he never murdered anyone? :/

Best place to find matches is supermarket. If you´re heading that way, check out the one in Polana. Not usually a hot spot, you can observe from a distance (200+ meters) that there are no zombies shuffling around. If they only spawn when you come closer, there are no other players around. Zeds usually start wondering towards the hills both sides of the village, I´ve practically never encountered a zombie once in town. Entering and exiting are little trickier. Evenings after dark are easier. Once inside a supermarket keep your head on swivel, get what you need and gtfo. There is a big apartment building next to the supermarket, matches are sometimes there too.

No one has ever shot at me first, but then again I tend to be really careful and not to be seen. Never visited the big cities. I have been what I thought stalked once and bumbed into once. First didn´t answer my direct chat, the second came straight at me in dark, probably didn´t see me until he was two meters away. Two murders for me, because I´m a paranoid geezer and won´t take chances at this stage anymore (day 22 going). Felt bad both times. Lots of times players were near but didn´see me, I always let them be.

You can be a "good guy" even of you have murdered, it takes something like 5 murders from what I´ve heard. I don´t know if count resets on respawn. So the guy you killed could have murdered others, but probably less than five.

Edit: I remembered now I actually have been shot at once, was looting a heli crash and some clan came in a car with LMGs. I ran zig zag and survived.

Edited by Baka Survivor
  • Like 1

Thanks for fast reply Baka. I'm in Pulkovo right now and heading to Zelenegorsk supermarket to look for matches. Any tips about this place?

I'm still asking myself a question - if somebody would spot me and yell 'STOP', would I do it or run for my live? Stopping means instant death if it's a bandit. But, judging on my own experience, not stopping gets you killed also. What would you advice me to tell to spotted people next time, to keep me safe (I've heard that yelling "friendly" isn't good idea at all) and give the impression I don't want to kill 'em?

Well I'm glad another new player is having fun. I just picked up arma2 during the summer sale and downloaded this mod after seeing a few videos online. So far I haven't been killed by zombies. I'm pretty sneaky at times and my first time playing I found tons of stuff in a Church and when I opened the door to exit I was shot dead by other players. It sucked but what are you doing to do. The next time on it was night time and I couldn't see anything. Saw a fire burning in town and went towards that and it was by the hospital. I was on the roof when another player started asking if I was friendly. Of course I had no idea were the mic button was so I typed all crazy like in the direct channel that I was safe. Not sure why he could trust me but it turn out we were both new spawns. We went around town few a few hours and at dawn started heading out of town when another player attacked us in an outside barn. Of course my newbie ass is yelling on the mic about were this guy is and I'm sure he is hearing me. I then run into the barn the guys on the top of the stairs we both shoot hitting each other. Thankfully his gun wasn't as good as mine and I was able to bandage. During all this zombies are chasing me and everyone else do to the noise we were making. After the fight my buddy drags his body to a corner and realizes he is still alive and puts three more shots into him. It was a pretty insane sight. After all that me and him went threw to gather that equipment it could of all been for nothing, but we are still alive. I can't wait for the next time I get to log on.

I like to see post of players that want to work together and not shot on sight. I know that now with gear I might be a bit more careful approaching a stranger though.

Thanks for fast reply Baka. I'm in Pulkovo right now and heading to Zelenegorsk supermarket to look for matches. Any tips about this place?

I'm still asking myself a question - if somebody would spot me and yell 'STOP', would I do it or run for my live? Stopping means instant death if it's a bandit. But, judging on my own experience, not stopping gets you killed also. What would you advice me to tell to spotted people next time, to keep me safe (I've heard that yelling "friendly" isn't good idea at all) and give the impression I don't want to kill 'em?

Never been to Zeleno. Nevertheless, if you get spotted by zombies, don´t panic. Run double-time (double click w) to safety: barns, houses with two exits. Look for them in advance, so you know where to run. Zombies won´t ever hit you if you run double-time. Losing them is easy. Its the other players who are dangerous.

You can never trust other players, that´s the fact. Even if they don´t shoot you right away, they can backstab you later on. If someone told me to stop, i probably wouldn´t unless I was in really bad spot. If I spotted a player, I would not try to befriend them, or approach them in any way. I just want to survive as a lone wolf. But if you really want to take your chances, you can act friendly by lowering your primary weapon (double tab left ctrl), saluting, or turning away from them while talking through direct comm. It will probably get you killed though.

Edit: if you want to team up, better to do it with your real life friends or with some of the good guys on this forum.

Edited by Baka Survivor