Sign in to follow this  
xoextreme

how do i read my coordinates on the map to find where i am?

how do i read my coordinates on the map to find where i am? i have no idea where i am and i look at my map and gps and idk how to even find myself on a veteran server

ok so the GPS gives you your grid lets say it fully reads 074128, the first three numbers, 074 are the ones along the bottom of the map the next 3 are the ones along the side, 128.

Edited by BrettHarrenton
  • Like 1

If you have a map you need to find your current location. the easiest way is when you first log in you get a notification in the bottom right saying what city you are near. Knowing this look for any nearby landmarks and compare them to the city you are near. Hills, Buildings, even shrubs can serve as helpful tips to clue you in to your exact location.

If you have a GPS then bring it up by hitting right ctrl+m it will show you a minimap with you in the center.

when in map view it gives your current grid ref. The first 3 numbers are the grid that runs on the top and bottom of the map, the last 3 are the ones on the left and right.

Reading maps!?

They do teach this in school still right? Don't they do those tiresome orientering trips/tasks anymore??

• Like 1

Reading maps!?

They do teach this in school still right? Don't they do those tiresome orientering trips/tasks anymore??

I hope so, Map Orienteering is a core skill imo.

Reading maps!?

No, they do not. Unless you are in Boy Scouts or ROTC, you will no longer learn that skill in American public schools.

No, they do not. Unless you are in Boy Scouts or ROTC, you will no longer learn that skill in American public schools.

That disgusts me a slight bit.

Expecting kids to rely on GPS's and Google maps?? Shameful.

remember the X and Y axis in school? you read it just like that, a cartesian coordinate system.

(horizontal offset, vertical offset)

Edited by -Evo

That disgusts me a slight bit.

Expecting kids to rely on GPS's and Google maps?? Shameful.

I actually believe it is more shameful that there are people (mostly older people) who don't even know how to use a GPS and still depend on maps.... how friggin hard is it to learn how to use a GPS if you spend 30 minutes reading the directions or have someone show you?

That being said I'll admit it is still silly to not know how to read maps as a backup in case your GPS battery dies or signal is lost or there is a zombie apocalypse. In which case most people under 40 would be screwed.