Sign in to follow this  
sethcombs@gmail.com

Is this true about regular vs veteran servers?

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification guys. Glad my suspicions about regular servers is justified.

As an aside, rocket or someone else should sticky a thread confirming and outlining the differences between recruit/regular/vet/expert servers. I've been playing for about a month so I wouldn't really need it, but it'd be very helpful for new players IMO.

is there some place offical that lists the difference ??

cuz ive played on recruit servers, with no 3DP and no crosshairs, but also played on VET servers that had those options..

is the whole recruit-vet setting just something left over from the ARMAII engine ??

are Zs easier or harder to kill depending on the "grade" of server ???

guess im just a noob whos unsure which servers i should be filtering out or playing on for what im looking for..

basicly i wanna find server that make playing the game as easy as possible (like thats possible in DayZ), but dont wanna be easier sniper bait then i have to be.. i dont PVP, but i accept that i could be poped anytime when out in the open exploring.. i just dont wanna give that player any additional info then necc. such as that nametag/range thingy..

thx in advance

Please read through the entire thread.

I've explained it twice.

Also Servers can disable certain features.

Edited by ThatGuyCalledReptile

is there some place offical that lists the difference ??

cuz ive played on recruit servers, with no 3DP and no crosshairs, but also played on VET servers that had those options..

is the whole recruit-vet setting just something left over from the ARMAII engine ??

are Zs easier or harder to kill depending on the "grade" of server ???

guess im just a noob whos unsure which servers i should be filtering out or playing on for what im looking for..

basicly i wanna find server that make playing the game as easy as possible (like thats possible in DayZ), but dont wanna be easier sniper bait then i have to be.. i dont PVP, but i accept that i could be poped anytime when out in the open exploring.. i just dont wanna give that player any additional info then necc. such as that nametag/range thingy..

thx in advance

From the best of my knowledge... the differences are.

Map - you can see yourself and nearby people / zombies. (once you find a map in game)

Nametags - showing player name and distance when you aim / hover your crosshair over a player - watch out for PvP snipers as they will use this to their advantage!

Damage - is not changed between the two - your going to feel a round to the head ether way.

Loot - no change -

Zombies - still the same - ive heard there are always less zombies on Reg servers but its hard to judge as they spawn in relation to how many players are within a certain area / are on the server. I personally think there is no difference.

3rd person view - no difference between Vet and Reg. This is only disabled on Elite servers which is the step up from veteran servers.

Difference between Vet and Elite - just the 3rd person view to the best of my knowledge.

Enjoy

Thanks for the explanations, gents. By the sound of it, I'm leaning more toward sticking to Veteran servers if only for the lack of range finding. Just don't like the idea on principle. I think I may give DayZ Commander a go, I have just been going into multiplayer in the game to find the random servers I log into.

Thanks for the explanations, gents. By the sound of it, I'm leaning more toward sticking to Veteran servers if only for the lack of range finding. Just don't like the idea on principle. I think I may give DayZ Commander a go, I have just been going into multiplayer in the game to find the random servers I log into.

Sadly it is still possible to find the range of a player even in Vet mode without the use of a rangefinder which the majority of snipers im guessing know about. - its not an issue with Dayz but with the Arma engine - just saying so dont think you are completely safe!

I use Commander and six launcher - I like Commander though as you can add your friends / clan mates and just join straight to whatever server they are on without having to search servers ect.

frankly regular and vet server doesn't mean much. I been on vet servers with name tags and map location. Most servers will have things like "3D:ON CH:OFF" (3rd person on, Crosshairs off) but not much beyond that. Only way to be sure is to join and see for yourself :/

Seeing an "man" dosen't mean anything, it is a zombie. If you see rifleman then you should worry :S!

Sadly it is still possible to find the range of a player even in Vet mode without the use of a rangefinder which the majority of snipers im guessing know about. - its not an issue with Dayz but with the Arma engine - just saying so dont think you are completely safe!

Thanks for the heads-up. I never assume I'm safe. :) It's also possible to figure it out just based on size/mildots too I'd expect. I just always assume the guy's got me ranged and is terrifyingly good.What I really didn't like was the idea of having someone scoping over the bush I'm hiding in and getting a popup when their crosshair goes over me.