Sign in to follow this  
ForcefulCJS

Are we allowed to kick suspected hackers without definitive proof?

EDIT: THIS IS ABOUT KICKING, NOT BANNING - Comments about the current banning system really aren't helpful.

This is something I've been debating with the admin in my group. He refuses to kick hackers unless we can present him with actual video or screenshot evidence. Given that it's virtually impossible to do so, we often have to sit on our asses and endure hacking even when we are 99% sure who is responsible.

The other day we had hackers teleport onto our bus and kill most of us. We managed to kill one of them and found a G36-SD on their body and a sports car they had teleported in with that isn't in DayZ. The guy we killed was part of a clan called [Nazi] and they had 3 members on our server, the same number of people who showed up and shot us up.

Yet our admin refused to do anything until we could present him "hard" evidence in screenshot or video form, even with 4-5 people as eyewitnesses on teamspeak. He insisted that kicking people without firm evidence is grounds for blacklisting - I'm not convinced that's true but I'd like to hear other people's opinion or a link to more detailed rules about what you can/cannot kick for.

Edited by ForcefulCJS

It is always a good idea to kick/ban with actual proof. If you don't have proof and someone complains on these forums, it is considered "admin abuse".

But like I said, it's a good idea no matter what the game is. On the other game servers the clan I'm with has run, we've always required our admins have definitive proof before banning. If something obvious happened right in front of their eyes, they were encouraged to screenshot and record it.

The main reason is, if the player turns around in 3 or 4 months and submits a Ban Appeal, that admin may not be around or with the clan anymore, and we don't want to unban someone that was obviously cheating. Also, all of these recordings and screenshots helped us train new Admins in identifying hackers vs non-hackers.

So yes, hard evidence should be required.

Now, on the other hand, getting hard evidence in DayZ without constantly being recording your screen is near impossible. The log files are either bypassed or so confusing to the point of unhelpful. So admins have to be really careful when banning.

If you don't have proof and they report it to DayZ staff then your the one without proof to back up your actions, youll be on the hook. So it's better to have proof than be the he said she said.

Edited by ebianbluefox

if you suspect them of hacking. BAN them especialy if you tracert there IP back to Russia.

so many russian hackers weve had on our server anyone connects from russia they get an instant BAN.

Fucked it for the lot of em. If you dont like it you can 0121 do 1

There's a big difference between a kick and a ban - obviously banning requires proof I'm well aware of that. But kicking?

I mean we can restart the server during a hacker attack and that's equivalent to kicking EVERYONE yet that's not against the rules. Yet kicking 2-3 people who are almost guaranteed to be hacking requires us to keep well-documented evidence on hand for weeks in case of what? Someone files a "kick appeal?"

I always Kick before banning someone. Generally they get the point, and no your server will not get blacklisted for kicking someone suspected of cheating. Generally my process is:

1. Warn player

2. Kick Player and put their GUID on my suspect list

3. If the player returns and continues, ban them locally

I have not been confronted by someone that said they were not hacking in the forums when Ive used this process and if someone did its a he said/he said debate... My response go play on another server. There has to be compelling reason why I would let them back on.

If I see someone hacking, or hear over vent from someone that I trust. I am banning now, questioning later. Then restarting the server. There is no time for screenshots and fraps recording when you have 15 seconds to ban and restart before the server world gets screwed. If they want to appeal it and DayZ tells me I have to unban them, then I'll just save myself the money and stop hosting a server.

*Edit and by hacking I'm talking spawning, teleporting, mass teleporting. If someone gets killed because they couldn't aim, I usually tell them to practice more before calling hacks.

Edited by Denalb

Ban them if you're fairly certain. It's not worth the effort of "reporting" as tickets take weeks to be answered. If the DayZ team wants to blacklist servers for banning hackers that they cannot stop, then let them start that conversation by doing just that. I'm sure that will start a whole other battle.