Sign in to follow this  
superhans18

Day Z amazing, Arma II poor interface

I think I contributed just fine.

You essentially perpetuated a logical fallacy, though: "I'd like to see YOU do better, otherwise you have no right to complain."

"I think this game has a poor interface." "I'd love to see your version of a better interface."

"I think this food tastes pretty bad." "I'd love to see your version of a better meal."

"I think this art is kind of ugly." "I'd love to see your version of a better painting."

So no, you didn't contribute. Saying things like that stifles intelligent thought.

His PoV

You know what really grinds my gears?

People who bought Arma 2 JUST for DayZ. See Note

You come in here and expect CoD BF3 and Diablo 3.

Since you don't understand' date=' Arma 2 is literally a mod platform.

They literally gave us models and said " Make the game better PLEASE "

So stop whining, find a community running Arma 2 mods, Join their TS3, get to know them, sync your mods to their server using Yoma Tools.

Then complain about Arma 2, I dare you. I used to play on USSOCCOM server until my mod folder got to 64GB.

and saying the gameplay is subpar says the whole mod is subpar. This has a unique feel and thats what makes it unique and amazing.

This is the zombie shooter we all wanted.

Even cracked had a Prediction we'd never get to play it.

Its quirky, I'll agree but its nothing you should get your immature whining to post. If you're going to complain, propose a alternative, a reasonable one. UDK isn't a alternative.

~Nuke

Note: DayZ is a mod worth getting even if it means paying for it. But it ISNT a exclusive reason to have Arma 2. Arma 2 is based off its long lasting community and die hard fans, Bohemia appeals to this die hard fan base same has the mod devs. Its obvious Rocket doesn't like the whining when he calls you care bears in the CHANGELOG, an official document.

Not to mention through the early stages of DayZ it was made up of Die hard testers. You enjoy having 50 servers to wait to connect to? They enjoyed waiting to get into 1 SERVER.

With the boxing gloves off, I agree their are bugs but STOP CRYING.

Respect rocket, hes doing the best he can. Hot-fixes are out in mere minutes, he deserves an award.

@Rocket MODDB post, get stop cheating yourself out of a MoTY, you'd be the first Arma 2 mod to get it or on the top 10.

I'll also have to agree with the OP..

I bought the game only for Day Z, the interface is terrible in this game, although I don't mind the whole backpack thing, I've grown to like it..

I just hate how it runs like crap on my $2000 computer..

Gameplay is alright, I prefer Battlefield and CoD gameplay over it but ARMA 2 has it's own style and I can understand that..

If only Day Z was a little past Alpha stage where all the server disconnects, response errors and dying from ladders was gone..

Lies, I have a 800$ machine from '08 and I get 20 - 70 Fps.

You clearly don't understand the graphics settings or your machines worth in dimes.

His PoV

You know what really grinds my gears?

People who bought Arma 2 JUST for DayZ. See Note

You seem to have contracted Hipster. Might wanna get that checked out.

Seriously' date=' who whines about people buying a game just to play a single mod? That really amazes me. If you enjoy the game you should be fucking extatic that the company that makes it are raking in a good amount of sales. More money to the dev = better new games in the future, no matter where that money is coming from.

Lies' date=' I have a 800$ machine from '08 and I get 20 - 70 Fps.

You clearly don't understand the graphics settings or your machines worth in dimes.

[/quote']

The game clearly isn't very well optimized. It doesn't look incredibly amazing yet it runs a lot worse than games that do.

I might be called an elitist asshole, but fuck it...

I like that the interface is so the opposite of the user-friendly style. I like that simulator games won't give you pats on the back all the time, but rather kick you in the balls.

I don't want the current generation playing this. I don't want people who doesn't know how to appreciate a game in all of it's intrinsic value to be playing this and bitching on mics and social networks.

To be clearer, I fucking hate people and I think that a lot of games these ays are ruined by their own players.

At least the ARMA players won't go running around spraying bullets all over the place.

I wouldn't really have a problem with the interfact if certain actions felt more.... snappy' date=' I guess. Like when you're clicking a can of food to eat it, there's often a brief delay before it actually happens. Also, I have problems looting sometimes because when I double click an item to put it in my inventory, nothing happens at first. Sometimes this magically puts the item in my pack 30 seconds later, sometimes it prevents me from looting at all.

[/quote']

What you are describing is the realism that is part of Arma. Any other game, yes, you want food, you pop a can of beans and wolf it down instantaneously. In Arma, it simulates, albeit still far from reality, that it takes a person a few seconds to pull out the can, open it, and consume the item. This is why it takes a second to put something into your inventory as well. If you zoom out to 3rd person you'll actually see an animation playing to represent the time it takes to perform these actions.

Personally, I complained about the interface when I first began. I'm one of those folks who purchased Arma after discovering Day Z. However, after a few hours of playing you get used to it. And I especially love the change in 1.5.8 where you can right-click on items.

The inventory system isn't perfect, but I have to say the OP was a bit overzealous in titling the post "...Arma II horrible". Just because you don't like the interface doesn't make the entire game bad.

His PoV

Read Post

See post

Read post

The game clearly isn't very well optimized. It doesn't look incredibly amazing yet it runs a lot worse than games that do.

What is your experience with Arma 2?

You seems to be targeting me but I don't understand why you take such a stance at my post.

I'm not being malicious but it GRINDs my gears. You can't stop me from having an opinion and stating it.

I'm saying experience Arma 2 the way the fans see it or else you're not experiencing the good side of arma.

It like playing Gmod in an RP server and never playing it again because you wanna build.

In fact I don't like vanilla' date=' I like the mods HOWEVER I got Arma 2 then found mods, like the die hards. But when someone come in and ask for Arma 2 to be for a new audience, in this case mainstream kids who want to play a zombie game, it does make us edgy not to mention when you arrive in our communities and cry.

Operation Flash point is the result of Arma for the mainstream, a game no one cares for.

As for optimizations go, its great. Have you seen the low settings?

look

Sure we get mad at Arma 2 for being a resource hog but when AAAs do it no one cares? ( Homefront, Black Ops, the list goes on )

And whats your alternative now that we are finished talking about my arma experience and opinions? Or do you have any?

~Nuke

A lot of good comments, mixed in with some confusion. Just to clarify:

From my brief experience with Arma II (yes, I bought it because of DayZ - does that invalidate my opinion? Only if you are an oblivious fanboy) it does a fantastic job as a hardcore simulator. I don't think I've seen anyone dispute that.

And as I've said, I'm not expecting the gameplay to be smooth like a retail game - it's a mod played on overcrowded servers. I get that, no complaints there.

My specific gripe was that the interface and interaction with the different elements at your disposal is very poor. This has nothing to do with "being a hardcore sim". This has to do with having good UI designers. It's cool that eating a can of beans takes a few seconds, but picking up the can of beans, shuffling around your inventory, and activating them should be wayyyyyyyyyy easier and more intuitive.

A lot of good comments' date=' mixed in with some confusion. Just to clarify:

From my brief experience with Arma II (yes, I bought it because of DayZ - does that invalidate my opinion? Only if you are an oblivious fanboy) it does a fantastic job as a hardcore simulator. I don't think I've seen anyone dispute that.

And as I've said, I'm not expecting the gameplay to be smooth like a retail game - it's a mod played on overcrowded servers. I get that, no complaints there.

My specific gripe was that the interface and interaction with the different elements at your disposal is very poor. This has nothing to do with "being a hardcore sim". This has to do with having good UI designers. It's cool that eating a can of beans takes a few seconds, but picking up the can of beans, shuffling around your inventory, and activating them should be wayyyyyyyyyy easier and more intuitive.

[/quote']

Give the game a bit more time and you'll get used to it. As I just posted, it isn't perfect, but my first character in Day Z I just sat there and bled to death because I couldn't figure out how to use a bandage. 30+ hours of gameplay later and I can loot a corpse or stash and be gone very quickly.

It's a unique system different than any game I've played, but just like anything, practice makes perfect.

i think its ok, but it could be a lot better, hoping for arma 3

Expecting an army simulator to be the best gaming experience...Lol you're the only one.

Put a can of beans and some other stuff in a backpack, now put the backpack on your back.

Start the stopwatch and get the can of beans out by removing the pack, opening it, finding the beans, closing the pack and returning it to your back. Stop the watch.

How long did it take you?

That's what it is simulating.

See post

Thanks,

This is much better.

I do agree it takes some time to organize but it makes it less like skyrim where you only think about what you want once you have to much.

It takes 3 seconds for me. If you see something you want start look before you get to it so the marker pops up.

Using manual Gear button can help out as well.

Sorry if I was malicious but it sounded like whining, welcome to Arma mods.

~Nuke

Thank Ubiq, I toned it down even further. Shouldn't have been so negative in the first place.

And thanks, Nuke. I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's just infuriating when the interfaces is more frustrating than the actual game, when the game has potentially the most frustrating gameplay in the history of games! If that made sense.

Lets all take a moment and step back to readdress the initial issue here.

Yes A2's interface could be a bit better. All of us A2 players have experienced this. The difference between us and the newcomers is that we've had a few odd years to get over this inconvenience and learned to play A2. Over this time we've figured out how the system works, realizes its not ideal but it definitely works and in some cases works better for simulation purposes than interfaces in other games.

Our main gripe with all these complaint posts is that newcomers, who have no experience with A2, are demanding changes instead of learning how the system works. Maybe if you took the time to ask or play around with the inventory a bit, you'd realize that the game lets you do many things at once rather quickly and is not that hard to interact with. For a game that is supposed to have all events happen in real time, you can navigate your entire inventory, transfer tons of items, use items all in a unrealistically short amount of time. For game-play purposes, this "un-realism" is fine. However, instead of asking "how do I do x" or trying to figure these things out, the new-comers who bought A2 specifically for DayZ immediately go on self-righteous forum crusades demanding changes all the while using a derogatory tone because they've been so brain washed by modern game design that they fail to see what sort of platform A2 provides. While your specific post brings up a valid point about the interface, it in no way provides a design or implementation that solves the problem. We've all heard this complaint before, and we don't need a new post about it unless you have something valuable to contribute.

I like arma 2's interface.

just learn to navigate it, this isn't Call of Battlefield: Generic Warfare 2

I'm a huge ARMA fan and yet I completely agree with the OP. Shocking' date=' isn't it?

[/quote']

I think anyone who doesn't have his head stuck up his ass would agree. The mod is popular, not Arma2. In fact most people I know have only touched the actual game in order to test various weapons in single player. Hopefully this sends a signal to publishers that "niche" games sell. An alpha quality zombie survivor sandbox with a pretty terrible engine has sold 50-100k copies of arma2.

Let's hope they've done a good job with ARMA 3 but for now there isn't

Amen. Hope Arma 3 fixed clunkyness overall and netcode.

Lots of stuff

I love arma and I played on TG with Ace/Acre for quite a while and I think knocking people for buying the game just for the mods is ridiculous. I also dont see why you're praising the socalled "die hard fans". If I was ever called a die hard fan, I would probably take it as an insult.

Regarding optimization, its very clear that the game doesn't look that good and yet it is still among the most demanding games I own at the moment. Its not bad looking certainly, but its extremely hard to get decent performance out of it on anywhere near max settings. The netcode is also really quite crappy. The servers can barely handle above 40 players without starting to fall over, and at least until recently stuff like players warping around in the distance was commonplace.