Quick suggestion: Equippable torches, being able to spread a warm soft light over a region with the possibility of a melee attack as a side thing...

Quick suggestion: Equippable torches, being able to spread a warm soft light over a region with the possibility of a melee attack as a side thing...

See Flare.

With a hatcher, or a crowbar.

And you think it is realistic that everyone runs aroudn with a frigging flare? Plus the fact that they give off a frigging huge light radius, and blinds you in third person... A torch would be a very nice middle-thing, that also goes much more in line with the survival aspects of the game, instead of the "this is a converted military simulator" game... ;)

Edited by Hulahuga

And you think it is realistic that everyone runs aroudn with a frigging flare? Plus the fact that they give off a frigging huge light radius, and blinds you in third person... A torch would be a very nice middle-thing, that also goes much more in line with the survival aspects of the game, instead of the "this is a converted military simulator" game... ;)

And where do you intend to find a torch.

One you'd need a box of matches to light as well.

Not to mention, how long it would burn for.

Okay not flares then. Chemlights. You find a package of glowsticks. You use such glowsticks as an improvised light source. Still sticks with the survival aspects of the game, doesn't require more work to be done for a feature that already exists.

Well if I have to explain everything into the most tiny of details then.

Torches could be crafted through using firewood and or sticks/branches taken off trees or found on the ground. They could then be lighted at any fire in the game, be it a burning barrel of a camp fire. They could also be crafted with just a branch, a match and perhaps something that could catch fire easily, perhaps just some resin from the trees sticking to the branches from the start. How long they would burn would depend on how they can burn in real life (depends on the thickness and coating in real life), and also have a modifier from the weather (i.e if it rains then they should have a chance to go out, or just burn out faster, depending on how the devs want to do it). This torch could then be used to light a fire without matches (because remember, matches will probably very soon grow into something that youll have to replenish, just like [un-convertible] ammo).

Okay not flares then. Chemlights. You find a package of glowsticks. You use such glowsticks as an improvised light source. Still sticks with the survival aspects of the game, doesn't require more work to be done for a feature that already exists.

Because chem-lights are so useful right now? They have a light radius of two meters basically and have almost no practical use except for marking your possible points of exfiltration. And they are so common in real life in the middle of a forest right? Right? Plus you can't wave them around to fend off zombies and possibly a disturbing player. They also, and this only the graphics side, don't contribute a very interesting light source... edit: I mean just think of how cool it would be running there in the forest with a torch and a side-arm/melee weapon with a flickering torch in your off-hand spreading the orange-ish light among the trees, dancing with to the tune of the winds, breathing life into the fire.

Edited by Hulahuga

Because chem-lights are so useful right now? They have a light radius of two meters basically and have almost no practical use except for marking your possible points of exfiltration. And they are so common in real life in the middle of a forest right? Right? Plus you can't wave them around to fend off zombies and possibly a disturbing player. They also, and this only the graphics side, don't contribute a very interesting light source...

So,

You want a glowing stick that illuminates the area but won't give your position away to anyone at a distance,

that ALSO sets anything on fire that it melees,

and has to be common in a modern day world enviroment?

This makes me want to post in a "Snipers are OP" bread.

So,

You want a glowing stick that illuminates the area but won't give your position away to anyone at a distance,

that ALSO sets anything on fire that it melees,

and has to be common in a modern day world enviroment?

This makes me want to post in a "Snipers are OP" bread.

Did I ever say they shouldn't be visible from afar? They would grow into very cool orange light dots flickering through the forests and such, no issue with that :). The flares however are frigging emergency signals, not meant to light the area as much as to show it to others...

And yes, it would be more common to find people with torches in an apocalypse situation than a frigging military grade flare or chem-light ;).

Do you have an issue with suggestions with the aim of improving the game? If so then I suggest you change forums.

Edited by Hulahuga

Did I ever say they shouldn't be visible from afar? They would grow into very cool orange light dots flickering through the forests and such, no issue with that :). The flares however are frigging emergency signals, not meant to light the area as much as to show it to others...

And yes, it would be more common to find people with torches in an apocalypse situation than a frigging military grade flare or chem-light ;).

Do you have an issue with suggestions with the aim of improving the game? If so then I suggest you change forums.

By your same logic,

I suppose it'd make sense to put swords in the game as well!

Or maybe, oh wait, paintball guns!

Those are good ideas too, right?

By your same logic,

What? Do you even know what a torch is? A torch is just a man-made stick that burns with a flickering light, it is something that people have been using for ages, and is something very easily craftable, and one of the most useful items in a survival situation, both to gain light, fend off hostile animals, and to carry the heat of the fire with you to light the next one.

What? Do you even know what a torch is? A torch is just a man-made stick that burns with a flickering light, it is something that people have been using for ages, and is something very easily craftable, and one of the most useful items in a survival situation, both to gain light, fend off hostile animals, and to carry the heat of the fire with you to light the next one.

You must have a thing for warm sticks.

Flares and chemlights should be more than enough.

If you'd like to argue realism, lets consider what we are playing in the first place.

By your same logic,

You seem to miss the point of DayZ :) Sport Crossbow is added. Why not paintball gun? If I could use it for survival somehow, I would not throw it away.

What's wrong with the swords? You use hatchet and crowbar every day. You use knife. Sword is a big knife forged for melee combat. I'd defifnitely use sword agains any threat instead of a hatchet. If I'd find a sword, I'd sharpen it and always carry with me in case of such survival scenario. Fire hatchets can only cut through flesh deep. Swords can cut out limbs...

Simple, harmless torch! You make torches every day in DayZ. But you put them in a pile on the ground. They are called campfires. Take out a branch on fire and you have a torch. Authentic.

Why are you against it?

• Like 1

You seem to miss the point of DayZ :) Sport Crossbow is added. Why not paintball gun? If I could use it for survival somehow, I would not throw it away.

What's wrong with the swords? You use hatchet and crowbar every day. You use knife. Sword is a big knife forged for melee combat. I'd defifnitely use sword agains any threat instead of a hatchet. If I'd find a sword, I'd sharpen it and always carry with me in case of such survival scenario. Fire hatchets can only cut through flesh deep. Swords can cut out limbs...

Simple, harmless torch! You make torches every day in DayZ. But you put them in a pile on the ground. They are called campfires. Take out a branch on fire and you have a torch. Authentic.

Why are you against it?

You'd be reskinning something that's already made.

Like adding another weapon with the same stats as the makorov, and calling it a kamarov.

Why are you against it?

Finally someone with a bit of sense in them! =)

You'd be reskinning something that's already made.

Like adding another weapon with the same stats as the makorov, and calling it a kamarov.

No, you would most definitely not. It would be some much more authentic and useful that both the flare and the chemlight (due to the reasons already stated, and especially the softer light), and they do not need to be looted, since you can actually create them yourself, further pushing the game towards what Rocket wants, player created content and scenarios :)

Edited by Hulahuga

On a similar note. How about we add scented candles which change the mood of zeds?

• Like 1

Awesome idea, this is a survival game after all.

WTF is wrong with the haters, why not add the option? More options ALWAYS means a better game.

• Like 1

On a similar note. How about we add scented candles which change the mood of zeds?

Want one?

You can pick up flares/chem lights. Not sure if both can be, and even Minecraft doesn't give you light when holding a torch. Not that that has anything to do with this mod/game, nore' is that game even close to as good as DayZ...

Want one?

Well, my desire to have such a lovely candle depends on two factors. The first one, what is the scent of said candle? The second being, what is the effect on the zeds mood?

Also, I could be down for some torches. Preferably scented.

You can pick up flares/chem lights. Not sure if both can be, and even Minecraft doesn't give you light when holding a torch. Not that that has anything to do with this mod/game, nore' is that game even close to as good as DayZ...

Yes, but did you even read what I have written, and have you actually ever ran around with a flare in your hand without both blinding yourself and being incredibly visible to toehrs due to it being an emergency flare made for others to see you... Plus it is is not very authentic...

No, you would most definitely not. It would be some much more authentic and useful that both the flare and the chemlight (due to the reasons already stated, and especially the softer light), and they do not need to be looted, since you can actually create them yourself, further pushing the game towards what Rocket wants, player created content and scenarios :)

Than why have the chemlights and road flares in the first place.

If you had to choose between those three, which would you choose.

the really bright road flares that take up a slot,

the dim lit but multicolored chemlights that take up a slot,

or the unlimited quantity, well lighting, inventory space-less melee attacking torch.

It's nice to see things from a totally awesome zombie survivor game perspective,

WHICH IS REALLY COOL. I would love to see torches too. O_O

BUT. from a balance and game design point of view, it's all very esque.

This is a brilliant idea.