Sign in to follow this  
daspope

Anyone play this in low/very low quality?

I have been reading, lurking and watching videos about Day Z for a good 2 days now and I think I want to try it... the only issue is, that my gaming worth PC had the video card die in it so I put in a crap one and made it a backup and dev server for my business. so now I do everything on my laptop (HP dv7-6c95dx with 16gb ram).

Since I didn't want to waste the money on something that runs like crap on my laptop I downloaded Arma2 Free from steam and did the boot camp.

in "normal" graphics stuff seems a bit blurry and when you move or turn there is a bit of motion blue and feels like delay.... its almost as if your character is drunk lol. so when I put it in low quality it looks well, like crap, but is playable for sure.

I was just wondering if anyone out there playes DayZ in Low Quality and what kind of experience could be expected...

I assume finding items and players hiding in bushes will be that much harder without a crisp clear image.

Also before I pull the trigger on the game, I had some questions. People talk about going server to server, so if all of your gear stored on a master database so you can take it to whatever server you join? or is it where your data just gets stored on whatever server you're on and when you move to a new server you have to start over?

Also, if it is indeed done with a master database that stores everything regardless of server. what happens if you say set up a camp and have all your food and what not there, I am assuming that would just stay on that server as to prevent conflicts with a camp on some other server that may be set up in the same place?

just kinda confused. Thanks for any answers.

Also can anyone recommend a good newb friendly server I can hop on if I decide to get this going.

lol I just realized I used the word also about 500 times, oh well.

Edited by daspope

There is no such thing as a friendly server in DayZ.

Whenever you move servers, your equipment and locations move with you. They all sync and save to the hive.

And actually, finding players is 5 times easier the lower your graphics are set to.

Camps (AKA Tents) and vehicles are server-specific, they don't move.

Edited by krtshv

Lol, I have been getting that Gist... what I should have said is one where people don't camp the newb spawns and mow them down constantly for giggles

Hard to tell. Just make sure to run like hell when you spawn if you want to avoid snipers.

I play this game with most of my settings on very low.

Why?

A certain set up of the settings makes items appear more easily on the ground.

People hiding in grass, behind trees, in the distance, etc, etc.

Basically it just makes seeing things easier as there isn't all the flair and effects.

BUT!...

My main reason is cause everything on high and such makes the FPS so bad. =(

Just Bought Arma2 Combined Ops on steam and am downloading it now. cant wait to go newb mode on some zombies

Just Bought Arma2 Combined Ops on steam and am downloading it now. cant wait to go newb mode on some zombies

Just remember that you're going to have a bad time at first. You will die, a lot. You'll get lost, you'll lose weapons and items to bugs, you'll be teleported and killed by hackers.

The beginning is always hard.

Just remember that you're going to have a bad time at first. You will die, a lot. You'll get lost, you'll lose weapons and items to bugs, you'll be teleported and killed by hackers.

The beginning is always hard.

Yeah, I have watched a fair deal of newb training videos, so I am hopefully not going to just get raped by zombies over and over lol. but if I do, then I do lol.

Lol, I have been getting that Gist... what I should have said is one where people don't camp the newb spawns and mow them down constantly for giggles

I don't think one of those exist either. Just join a server with hardly anyone on it, around 15 or below is good if you're just starting out solo. Or just wait until the other game like Dayz comes out that has a few rules, but may not be anywhere near as fun some, or for the knuckledraggers. Will be fun to see how DayZ winds up when the only players left will be the bandits, and they have no one left to shoot but each other, or has that already happened..

• Like 1

Hi Das, I turn down graphics to low because of UK lag but also there's a setting in your options that you can turn off. It causes things to blur when you move in a "realistic" (or annoying as I like to call it) way.

There was a thread about it called something like "How to finally fix our graphics card".

I'll have a look and let you know next time I'm here.

The game's still playable.

The best, or maybe only, way to find friendly places, is to find friendly players here, meet them here and join a server together.

My personal advice is new players will find it easier if they join under populated servers and stay out of the big cities but the those are also the best places for food and drink and various other stuff like weapons, ammo and backpacks!

I agree with 2ugly.

Blurry is most likely because of the settings, you should set the 3d display the same as the game resolution to stop this.

There are a few threads which tell you what graphical settings to use for optimal performance. Using "low" is not necessarily the best option for you because apparently it increases the CPU load.

Haha, SO interesting, i will have a try.

Edited by bjland2

Ok, well I got in game and checked it out... way harder than I thought it would be... I low crawled to some farm houses by my spawn, trying to avoid the friendly neighborhood zombies. as I got within about 50m of the fence surrounding the property I notice one staggering towards me... I tried to crawl out of its path but it seemed to be tracking me, so to speed things up I moved to a crouch and tried to get out of its way, at which time it started sprinting at me... so I go to a full stand and start sprinting off. I get on the road and sprint in hopes of someone seeing me and killing the now 4 or 5 zombies chasing me... I came up on some peninsula where the fence goes down to the water so I ran through the water and luckily the zombies went on the opposite side of the fence so I was able to get away and hide... just to have one far away spot me crouching and run at me... then the server dropped my session and here I am...

ugh I need to find some buildings with no zombies around so I can get some way of defending myself... times like this a group of people would be awesome.