miket

Tonights DayZ session has really changed my mind

"Either you die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent in 'The Dark Knight'

Never were truer words spoken.

I, personally, live by "Live and let live." and when someone is in dire need of help, I help them, whether they turn on me or not is not a question in my mind.

Just the other day a player by the name of "Cash" was running alongside me down the train tracks through Prigorodki. He was unarmed...and looked like he needed my help. I brought him to a barn and it was there we murdered another player, who was not responding to our attempts to defuse the situation. I traded out my shotgun not knowing there was no ammo in the dead man's CZ 550, and Cash took my shotgun. I saw him look at me and at that very second I knew that I would die here. He shot me, and I ran, and yet he persisted.

But I didn't regret it. No, even after running around and collecting loot for the last 3 hours, I did not judge him, as he very well may have been thinking, "This person could very well lead me out into the wilderness and kill me...and in this world, it's kill or be killed."

He did not respond to my cries of, "Why?" and "I helped you!" but instead shot me once more in the back of the head, and there I collapsed in the barren warehouse, into a heap of guns, ammo, medical supplies, and shrapnel.

I respawned and continued to Prigorodki from my spawn in Cherno, intent on retrieving anything Cash could not carry from my own cold, lifeless hands.

12 minutes in I saw a prompt at the bottom left of the screen:

"Cash was killed"

I smiled to myself and continued to play.

Is it not inevitable? There is little incentive to be friendly towards randoms. And until there is, KoS will remain the common rule.

Or ignore contacts altogether, as the above poster mentions.

No, it is very evitable, people just use it as an excuse to justify their actions.

No, kill on sight is not the common rule, I will only kill you when you are hostile towards me or present hostile actions in front of me.

Suddenly, he teleports about 10 m's to left, and shoots me in the head.This simply didn't make sense. 1 second he had just finished bandaging himself, the next he's standing 10 m away with a perfectly aimed shot to my head.

Chased by a maniac with hatchet for 2 kilometers with about 50 zombies running behind the two of us. I had deliberately run him through multiple zombie spawns to get as many zombies as possible on us whilst I did my best 'greased up deaf guy' from Family Guy impression "You never gonna catch me!"

Next thing I know, he goes from being about 10 m behind me to being right on top of me, managed to land an axe hit which breaks my leg, and then hacks me to death whilst the zombies attack him.

After all this, my opinions have really changed. From being the kind of guy who only uses his weapons in self defence, and who tries to defuse hostile situations as best I can before I pull the trigger, I have come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the risk at such a range that going over to loot them would be a hassle, I'm going to kill them.

Sounds pretty much like hackers is giving you a hard time. Goodbye fellow survivor, hello PK.

Edited by leeo38

sigh, so you just gave up and act like them to get pleasure out of killing people who absolutely had nothing to do with your bad session? That's smart! .... oh wait... NO!

Get your act together and be smart about it.

Just bring in various skins people will start to dress in gang colours and some will not and soon everyone will start to become individuals to others and maybe one day when you spot another person you might recognise them for being the person who previously helped you or was someone who fired at you revenge would be sweet.

join a gaming community and you will have plenty of friends to operate with

The guys I was running with turned out to be blantant hackers, spawning whatever they wanted and teleporting around the map.

I'm not into that, so now I need to find a new set of people to roll with.