Fussgangerzone

Should We All Use Timezones in Server Names?

Some of us like the dark, some of like the light.

Would it be a good idea for everyone to feature their time zone in the Server Name? In a syntax like UTC-8 or whatever.

I know a lot of servers specify their locations, but of course, we don't all run servers with the same time as the time zone they're in.

Great suggestion. I love servers that list their timezone in the server name and I hope to see this for every server in the future! I highly recommend those with servers to add this to their server name.

I would say yes. Geographical location and server time are, as you say, not always identical. The question is do servers carry a UTC format or a local time zone flag (I.e. GMT/ BST/ EST)? Also daylight savings, as ever, would need to be taken into account and server name adjusted.

An automated mechanism for detecting the server time and naming the server appropriately could be useful for lessening the burden on admins. I'll have a look at putting a script together, but I'm sure there are existing ones on the inter webs :)

+1 for this

I've seen that EU4 does this and states what timezone it's running the mod on in it's description.

It would make life a hell of a lot easier knowing if a server will be on day or night cycle before actually joining it.

well you can see from my sig that I put timezone in...

I would say yes. Geographical location and server time are' date=' as you say, not always identical. The question is do servers carry a UTC format or a local time zone flag (I.e. GMT/ BST/ EST)? Also daylight savings, as ever, would need to be taken into account and server name adjusted.

An automated mechanism for detecting the server time and naming the server appropriately could be useful for lessening the burden on admins. I'll have a look at putting a script together, but I'm sure there are existing ones on the inter webs :)

[/quote']

I would say UTC with + or - values would be the most diplomatic, and it's scientifically defined, so we can all feel clever.

I like your automated script idea.

I would say yes. Geographical location and server time are' date=' as you say, not always identical. The question is do servers carry a UTC format or a local time zone flag (I.e. GMT/ BST/ EST)? Also daylight savings, as ever, would need to be taken into account and server name adjusted.

[/quote']

The server name is defined within the servers config files. So you would need to have the script log into the remote desktop, shut the server down, edit the config file, and then start the server back up. It's a good thought, but I don't think it's a viable solution.

[/quote']

The server name is defined within the servers config files. So you would need to have the script log into the remote desktop, shut the server down, edit the config file, and then start the server back up. It's a good thought, but I don't think it's a viable solution.

Why would the script need to login into the remote desktop? A Windows batch script on the server itself can be used to edit config files. Setup a scheduled task to run the start batch file, which calls the script to edit the server name in the config file, and it will be handled every time the task starts. :)

[/quote']

Why would the script need to login into the remote desktop? A Windows batch script on the server itself can be used to edit config files. Setup a scheduled task to run the start batch file, which calls the script to edit the server name in the config file, and it will be handled every time the task starts. :)

Ah, I didn't realize you were referring to multiple servers on one box. I only run one on one box because I don't like laggy servers :) So changing a single config file is easy.

The timezone shouldn't be changing anyway, as rocket has stated multiple times. Set the timezone once, and don't change it. So the changes to the server name should only have to be done once.