Marc (DayZ)

Scavangeable weapon upgrades

Hey guys,

I think it would be great if in addition to finding specific weapons around the map you could also find several upgrades for them that can be attached and detached at will. For instance, there could be a scope for specific rifles so that, depending on the situation, you could temporarily convert your trusted Lee Enfield to a sniper rifle. Suppressors are another great option which would help reduce the zombie attraction from loud noises. A more "gung ho" idea would be grenade launcher attachements for the M4 or AK.

Additionally, it would make the loss of one of your weapons more tragic because after a while you grow more attached to your weapon of choice you even invested the effort of upgrading into and think of the exhileration when looting corpses and finding some nice upgrades for your weapon.

Distribution of said upgrades should be fine tuned so as to avoid a constant surplus of every possible upgrade in the game just to have every player running around with a scoped automatic and silenced shotgun that shoots grenades.

I'm not talking about a full blown weapon tuning system like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call Of Pripyat. A very simple system where you get a small item in your inventory you can right click on to attach it to your primary/secondary weapon would be great.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Such an idea could be quite nice.

But the spawns would have to be reasonably rare, and tied in with the military spawns imo to balance them out. Also I'm not sure how this would work with the engine.

Well from a realism standpoint you can't really attach and detach optics on the fly.

I believe only the PSO style optics can be removed on the fly, for the rest you need to reallign and resight.

Hey guys' date='

I think it would be great if in addition to finding specific weapons around the map you could also find several upgrades for them that can be attached and detached at will.

Thoughts?

[/quote']

wait for arma3. arma 2 have no such feature atm, this is why there is variety of weapons with different attachments atm.

To all the people thinking this wouldn't be possible in Arma 2:

Let's consider the example of a scoped Lee Enfield. You could, internally, store two weapons called something like lee_enfield_default and lee_enfield_scoped and then make lee_enfield_scoped have a right-click option of removing the scope. When the user clicks that option, the item lee_enfield_scoped is removed from the inventory, replaced by a new item lee_enfield_default and additionally, the scope is placed in the user's gear. Said scope would have a right-click option "Attach to rifle" (or the more specific option attach to Lee Enfield, if due to realism the scopes would be limited to certain weapons) that would simply remove the scope from the gear and add the lee_enfield_scoped weapon.

Why isn't this possible right now? Checking if something is in the inventory (like that you actually have a Lee Enfield when you want to attach a scope), placing items in the inventory is possible and removing them is as well.

Replacing weapons with weapons by deleting the original weapon and then placing the modified weapon in the user's inventory is definitely possible.

I like the thought. It would completely change the mechanics of the game, though. At least of the weapons. Right now you run around looking for weapons. Find a better one? Pick it up and drop the old one. This would change it to: Find a weapon? Find a scope? Do they match? Find one that matches? Go back to get your old weapon out of the barn where you left it? etc etc.

I think this could be a lot of fun except for one thing. I want less scoped weapons in the game, not more. There's a thread about how common the CZ is and I completely agree.

I love the idea of implementing weapon attachments but I think they should be extremely rare.

I agree, I think this would be a fantastic addition. I really like the system that fallout 3/NV have in place for weapon upgrades. They are quite rare and are a true treasure to find. Please start by adding a weapon-mounted flashlight (for the 1911?). That would be absolutely awsome.

Well from a realism standpoint you can't really attach and detach optics on the fly.

I believe only the PSO style optics can be removed on the fly, for the rest you need to reallign and resight.

This is not true. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry and we always kept our iron sights, ACOGs, PAQ-4s, and PAS-13's with us in case we needed to swap them out. You can mark your rifles railing system for just this purpose. Zeroing an optic doesn't require you to shoot it. Laser bore sighting and alignment is easy to do with any modern weapon.

Besides in a war time environment (I deployed to Iraq twice) you commonly remove your optics to clean them and your weapon.

I +1 this idea, if it is even at all possible. Versatility and the ability to adapt on the fly in combat saves lives.

Edited by MaxxOrion
  • Like 1

I like this idea and wouldn't mind even if you were not able to customise on the fly but maybe a 1 min animation whilst you are in a safe location?

If you like, please post. I was going to post something original but saw this one posted a while back so it got the bump. Let's make sure Rocket sees that we think this would be a good addition, and it seems doable within the engine, albeit a bit of a hack.

Hey guys,

I think it would be great if in addition to finding specific weapons around the map you could also find several upgrades for them that can be attached and detached at will. For instance, there could be a scope for specific rifles so that, depending on the situation, you could temporarily convert your trusted Lee Enfield to a sniper rifle. Suppressors are another great option which would help reduce the zombie attraction from loud noises. A more "gung ho" idea would be grenade launcher attachements for the M4 or AK.

Additionally, it would make the loss of one of your weapons more tragic because after a while you grow more attached to your weapon of choice you even invested the effort of upgrading into and think of the exhileration when looting corpses and finding some nice upgrades for your weapon.

Distribution of said upgrades should be fine tuned so as to avoid a constant surplus of every possible upgrade in the game just to have every player running around with a scoped automatic and silenced shotgun that shoots grenades.

I'm not talking about a full blown weapon tuning system like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call Of Pripyat. A very simple system where you get a small item in your inventory you can right click on to attach it to your primary/secondary weapon would be great.

Thoughts?

I like the idea. I was thinking earlier today about how cool it would be to take a cz 550 and take the scope of and put it on a enfield. You should also be able to take off sights of guns (I find a ak with a red dot but i want it for my pistol). But to make it fairer your gun should get dirty, a.k.a. Fallout 3 style, and you need to clean it etc...

Cool idea :)