156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want side chat to be re-added to Day-Z?

• Yes
    • No

Please stop bumping every few hours, or risk your thread being deleted due to selfishness.

Consider a bump per every few days if no replies are given.

I have been keeping it to about a days worth of time between bumps. If that's a problem I will bump it closer to 2 days,

Isn't side chat still enabled on certain servers...

No. Unless something has changed recently. The servers with side chat enabled that I have been to makes me recreate my character, and does not save progress. Other servers might be running on a very old patch which has side chat enabled.

Side chat is annoying and should not be in the DayZ!

• Like 1

Something with radios would be nice. Batteries and radios.

• Like 1

Without side chat it I'm bored and on the verge of quitting because playing by yourself isnt enough.

Solution:-

1) Enable side chat with an option to hide side chat.

2) Disable global voice chat

Now everyone is happy!

Reading your comments I immediately thought of the SANLA device used in the Finnish army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanomalaite_M/90

This would be a perfect item to find in military loot spots, and, IMHO, suits the atmosphere of DayZ. When you turn it on you can send and receive global text messages, and maybe change frequencies to avoid other people listening to your conversation...until they find your frequency!

What do you think? Have you encountered other similar devices that would be suitable in Chernarus?

• Like 1

I disagree, It kills the immersion. Maybe implement global chat via radios & radio towers or something people can control but it shouldn't be up all the time.

Maby add a CB radio or somthing and you only get chat when you find one :P

If you choose to have side chat (if you have found a working radio) on it should come with a drawback: a radio noise everytime someone writes that attracts infected and gives away your position. Like a radio. Turn it off for safety.

this is a online game, hence needs communitcation, vent, team speak servers cost money, hould be able to add people in a group ingame and be able to only talk to them there, or even like a trade channel, a channel to crack jokes on, but you have to be on that specific channel for you to see the text that shows up so it doesnt just have a shit load of spam, bring back global plox

Without side chat it I'm bored and on the verge of quitting because playing by yourself isnt enough.

Solution:-

1) Enable side chat with an option to hide side chat.

2) Disable global voice chat

Now everyone is happy!

This..

But only until the radio idea can be implemented (cause that sounds awesome)... this is just a temporary fix =)

This will not fight the hackers. This will actually encourage hacking since they will get more reactions from their victims. I dislike the idea of the side-chat because of less immersion. Radios or something like that would be nice though.

To be honest they already get a ton of reactions since most hackers Teleport everyone to a location for a death match of some sort, Everyone just hops on the group chat and starts freaking out. The only difference is that it would be on side chat instead.

I also like the radio idea with (limited) range, say 1km or a mile or more.

But that will probably take time (I don't know much about modding etc) so for the mean time I'd suggest re-adding the sidechat.

I think side chat should be brought back but it should be limited to only seeing chat of people close by. mostly because not everyone has a headset to communicate and this will make it so they can talk to those who do.