Anton17

'Realism' arguments need to be left out

Oh look, a forum member who thinks he gets to have his own facts.

This is a simulator and revolves around authenticity. Now GTFO and improve your literacy.

Edit: was referring to OP, btw.

Edited by Athrins
  • Like 1

All-caps rage at someone who denies your crappy comment. I see~

Nice post though, I could feel the heat of your tomato-coloured face radiating from the text. Very powerful stuff.

Let me know when you decide to try abusing me again; next time, put some thought into it and it might hurt my feelings :(

-MONSTER

PoctS.jpg

• Like 2

- ADHARMA

HI I HAVE A USERNAME WHICH YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE, A RETARDED LITTLE SIGNATURE WITH MY NAME IN IT TWICE BUT JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, HERES MY NAME

- T W A T

Looks like someone has met MONSTER for the first time.

It annoys many people man. Not just you.

Edited by The Hopper

In DayZ, if you have a skill that is relevant, it *will* show in the game. In real life in the Army, I learned how to read topographical maps and move efficiently over varied terrain. In the game, I can look at the terrain around me, look at the map, and know where I am. I don't even use a compass to navigate; my *real life* skills at land nav translate in game so I can just glance at the map and run around, knowing exactly where I am going. There is no effective way to model someone's mechanical expertise, or animal butchering skill, so those skills obviously have to just be in the game, no questions asked.

That being said, I am also down for a more "authentic" experience. I don't have fun in DayZ killing other players, blowing things up, or dieing to silly PKing in Cherno when I have no weapon in my hand (and obviously, no loot).

However, I ENJOY THE SHIT out of the experience, overall. When you've made a long, serpentine trek across the map, gathering supplies and weapons along the way, and a survivor pops up in the draw ahead of you. Your heart instantly starts beating really hard, and you drop to the prone. "Shit, did he see me?" "Ffffu- he didn't see me... could I trust this guy if I contacted him?" "I could kill him, he has a rifle; maybe he has loot." "He's coming this way!" If you let yourself get into the moment, get into the game, you can have an experience UNPARALLELED in any modern game. It's about emotions, guys. That's why I like DayZ.

It was fun to play games that you could meta-game, maybe build an optimal path to gearing up or whatever, but most of them boiled down to smashing your face on the keyboard/controller long enough that you are rewarded with a +2 stat upgrade, or what-have-you. There are some aspects of DayZ that can be improved upon; obviously, right? since it's an Alpha. But, I appreciate this mod for what it is and what it can be, while not trying to make it fit into any convention of modern "gaming." That's because I don't think it should be forced into the same design strategy as a normal game; Rocket himself has said as much. I would love for this to be more sandboxy; disagree if you must, but the more open-ended the world is, the more possibilities that exist within it.

All *that* being said, I fear for when this gets turned into a standalone game. The pressures from inside a game development company might crush this project if it gets sucked into any semblance of a normal development cycle. Godspeed, Rocket.

TL;DR, stfu and read the whole thing. No tl;dr for you.

Edited by taodude
  • Like 3

amazing how this thread got of topic.

amazing how this thread got of topic.

When did it ever have a fucking topic?

Seriously, what was the topic?

When did it ever have a fucking topic?

Seriously, what was the topic?

Topic was something about the OP wanting to have everyone be on one side and then have a discussion. Because thats how all discussions work. Then some idiot told me to shutup.

Oh, and then the old "new guy rages on MONSTER for obvious reasons" That happens on half of the topics.

Just the usual.

One of Rocket's guiding lights has been realism OVER fun. Fun takes a backseat here. It's on the table, but it's a light dessert, not the main course.

I disagree. Rocket's focus on "authenticity," as he words it, draws on emotions to make the game fun.

Think about it. The adrenaline rush you feel when you stumble upon a group of bandits and start a massive firefight. The sense of urgency and anxiety you feel as a survivor when both your food and drink are flashing and you're scavenging through the supermarket in Elektro - the same market that a sniper might be watching. The amount of tension you feel when you're staring at an enemy through your scope, knowing that you have only one bullet left in the chamber and that he has the rest.

All of those feelings accumulate and, provided the situation goes right, releases a huge endorphin rush. The key to this game doesn't rely in making the game directly fun, as many AAA titles have been misled into thinking (rewarding you for taking ten steps in any direction, rewarding you for firing ten bullets, and rewarding you for firing within ten meters of somebody else.) The game relies on your emotions and your personal experiences in the game in order to make it fun.

So, I respectfully disagree. Fun should only take a backseat to authenticity if that authenticity inspires emotions that cause fun.

Talks about fun at 6:30

He didn't say he doesn't think games are supposed to be fun..he said ...." I don't think of games in terms of fun" He also said he doesn't think about making the game fun he thinks about making it authentic. Neither of those statements say that he doesn't believe games are supposed to be fun.

Truth is...people need to enjoy playing it. If they don't enjoy it they wont do it. I've also heard Rocket say something to the effect of...."It wasn't meant to be fun it was meant to be a tech demo." Thats not a quote. I can see how you might mis-enterpret that to mean that he doesn't want the game to be fun, but it's not what it actually says. To paraphrase him so simplistically...out of context...and say Rocket doesn't think games are supposed to be fun. Well it's just not necessary. If you're going to take it upon yourself to speak for other people you should quote them correctly and keep it in context.

Edited by playZ

To bring it back on topic, I guess I would say that realism should be kept in the discussion. Realism in terms of authenticity concerning a zombie apocalypse. And, I would argue against changes to the game that, like Rocket said in the video posted above, are only there to encourage or punish a certain style of gameplay. Other than that, no holds barred on game design, IMO. If Rocket wants to make it so the zombies leap like friggin wolf spiders on attack, I'm down. If he buckles to pressure and adds some design feature that makes bandits pop up on everybody's map just because they're bandits and evil, and wah wah, I would lament the horrible turn this mod had taken.

why do people hate monster so much? (curious as i am a noob on the forums myself). @adharma, i think it was you who were mad bro i mean you did type in all caps and that means to me that you were shouting. Also i think monster was being sarcastic in his/her response (correct me if i am wrong here).

@tootmaimington, have you met him/her to know he/she if fat? If you are basing the fact that they spend time on an internet forum about a computer game then i hate to break it to you but so do you and me and the next person to post. Are we all fat then? Or gay? Please explain how you know these things as i would love to know how to read people so easily through text on a website alone.

'Realism arguements need to be left out'. If its the arguement of people saying "IRL i would kill everyone anyways" then i agree as i seriously doubt they will and if they stopped and thought for a second then they would realise that themselves. If its the knockdown rate/bleed chance/leg breaking super punch and people saying its 'realistic' to have a Zed break your leg with a punch then i agree as that arguement doesn't make sense. If its about the realism in the game then, well, its a game and an alpha one at that. Nothing in games is realistic (when was the last time you took a dump in DayZ? I think survivors are really in need of laxatives!).

Just try to enjoy the game in your own way, like any other game.

I used to think Day Z was realistic.

But then i realised i can fix cars, fly a helicopter, run all day

Uhm, I can fix cars, don't know about flying helecopters but i could learn to if i really wanted to, and at the pace you run in dayz, it wouldnt be that hard.

I USED 2 TINK IT WAS REEL BUTTHEN I NOTICED HE EETS BEANS BUT I DONT LEIK BEANZ IRL SO THIS GAME IS FLAWD

• Like 3

I USED 2 TINK IT WAS REEL BUTTHEN I NOTICED HE EETS BEANS BUT I DONT LEIK BEANZ IRL SO THIS GAME IS FLAWD

LOL

! Have some beans!

Rocket's a hipster, and fun is too mainstream.

Also, here's my experience with the realism in this game.

A door killed me at the airfield. I lose a lot of valuable gear. I have a bus with some supplies, so I hit up Elektro for a map and head there. With 11,500ish blood, a zombie hits me and breaks my leg right as I kill it with my axe. I'm 3,500 meters away from my bus. I start crawling towards the airstrip I'm near to find a zombie to kill me, because I can't respawn despite my limb being broken. I can't see where I'm going because there's shards and artifacts all over my screen. I finally find a small building near the airstrip, crawl inside it and immediately go into shock and start bleeding. I alt-tab to masturbate as I slowly bleed to death.

I have more deaths from the physics in this game than bullets. The only thing that feels realistic about this game is the amount of hiking I have to do between areas.

Edited by noiradle
  • Like 1

Uhm, I can fix cars, don't know about flying helecopters but i could learn to if i really wanted to, and at the pace you run in dayz, it wouldnt be that hard.

I don't know about you guys,but dayz is very realistic. I'm a Kenyan sprinter,car mechanic, doctor,helicopter pilot,who also has extensive knowledge of a wide range of weapons.

I agree that realism is important to a game like dayz,but fun should be big focus as well. I just don't think that you can keep a game like this suspenseful for very long. Eventually the zombies go from being a walking horror to a mild nuisance. And the worst to happen is you lose some gear that you can easily regain.

Anyways, grey warden,the reasons people don't like monster should be pretty obvious. Standard high post count forum doucher. Nobody cares about their gay ass anime or pretentious quotes that they think are deep or cool. Also,the give me attention pink is a nice touch, it's sure to hurt many an eye that would normally skip your crap post.

Edited by Razzlemafoo
  • Like 4

Anyways, grey warden,the reasons people don't like monster should be pretty obvious. Standard high post count forum doucher. Nobody cares about their gay ass anime or pretentious quotes that they think are deep or cool. Also,the give me attention pink is a nice touch.

If thats enough reason to hate someone then this world has no hope in it then as the next generation will bring upon WW3 for no other reason then, "his a faggot"... <_<

Edit: I'm not into all the anime stuff but some of it does look cool and everyone has their own taste. I like basic text colour but someone else likes pink text "to each his own". Why can't the world get along?

Look at my avatar, i like Red Dwarf is that enough for you to hate me?

Edited by Grey Warden
  • Like 1

If thats enough reason to hate someone then this world has no hope in it then as the next generation will bring upon WW3 for no other reason then, "his a faggot"... <_<

Edit: I'm not into all the anime stuff but some of it does look cool and everyone has their own taste. I like basic text colour but someone else likes pink text "to each his own". Why can't the world get along?

Look at my avatar, i like Red Dwarf is that enough for you to hate me?

Lol. Honestly,there's nothing wrong with anime. It's about self important attention whores that have nothing better to do than be make assholes of themselves on forums.

I don't know what red dwarf is. Now then,if you said you were a brony, I would develope a casual loathing for you.

Anyways,good night all.

Edited by Razzlemafoo
  • Like 2

Please excuse my noobness but what is a 'brony'?

Please excuse my noobness but what is a 'brony'?

My little pony fanboys are called bronies.

And in regard of MONSTER, yeh, I like anime, maybe a bit too much, but it doesn't mean it has to be my face over the internet.

And he pisses me off too to be quite honest...

• Like 1

Rocket has said before that he wants people to use the term authentic. He wants people to have an authentic experience. The only reason we even have to use the word is because the only counter-argument some pricks have is "zombies aren't real". The game is meant to be an authentic apocalypse. If you don't like it, you don't have to play.

I didn't know that rocket preferred the term authentic, but I've always used that term when discussing video games in terms of “realism.”

My philosophy is that no video game will ever be truly realistic. It just wont.

You're not actually there. It's not your life on the line. You don't feel the pain. You don't feel the exhaustion.

The game CAN'T do many things that would be required to make the experience “realistic.” It can't let you smell the rotting corpses, it can't let you see 180º of peripheral vision, etc etc.

What the game designer needs to do is make the game feel authentic.

It doesn't have to be realistic. It only needs to feel that way.

I'm sure plenty of people will scoff at this, but to them I say:

“Are zombies real?”

“Can you sprint endlessly?”

“Can you respawn after you die?”

“Can you fix your leg with morphine?”

“Does eating meat restore your blood instantly?”

“Can you open a can of beans with your bare hands?”

“Do items appear out of thin air when you approach a building?”

“Can you change the time of day by moving to a different reality?”

“Does your body disappear when you don't feel like doing anything?”

This game isn't realistic. It's a game.

Edited by Falcrist
  • Like 1

And he pisses me off too to be quite honest...

Why?

PS: I hate my little pony but don't hate others for liking it as its their opinion.

Edit: “Can you open a can of beans with your bare hands?”

Why yes i can as many have that little ring thing on top. But i get what your saying and agree. Here have the beans i just got out of the can.

Edited by Grey Warden

Why?

This kinda sums it up:

"Standard high post count forum doucher. Nobody cares about his gay ass anime or pretentious quotes that he thinks are deep or cool. Also,the give me attention pink is a nice touch, it's sure to hurt many an eye that would normally skip your crap post."

• Like 2

The problem is not realism.

The problem is that people like OP are conditioned by a gaming industry that is led by analysts.

You don't need no game design rules.

You don't even need any attempt to make anything "fun".

This "game" is not made to be fun

It is made to have an experience.

And this is what is fascinating all of us.

So yes for broken legs, yes for everything that fit'S into thinking "shit im right now really in trouble, gotta find a way to survive!!"

I think maybe Rocket is in over his head. I hear and see a lot of contradictory qoutes from him. Above poster, for instance, gives a good example of it. We are having fun, in some shape or form. That is why so many of keep coming back.

The EXPERIENCE, as Rocket puts it, could be funny, or horrible, or any other adjective. But to me, it is mostly exciting, and therefore funny. Not haha funny though.

And about the MONSTER poster, all you guys are doing, is to make him do it more. Just ignore him, look at his posts, smart-ass and pedantic. Just ignore him.

Why in game do I hear no farts?

Why is the whole place not flooded and 50 degrees.

We eat so many fucking beans,

bloody well should be :P

Cows don't help either.

• Like 1