StrengthAndHonor

Friendly Mode - by shouting.

This thread brought all of the backstabbing griefers like flies to honey. All of them running here to say how much fun they have backstabbing unsuspecting players.

This game has to refuse to cater to these types of griefers if it wants to succeed.

I wish I could give you a million beans, because you are 100% correct. If nothing is done about the griefers this game will fail, because it just becomes another shooter then.

As for this idea I support it because we need a way to allow some kind of trust to happen between players, also irl your not going to befriend someone then shoot them in the face. We are a violent species sure but we still have emotions that effect our decissions, more than likely you would just steal from them and run away. So this idea might help create a better reflection of reality.

• Like 1

Copy-pasted (small adjustments) from an identical thread:

It might be an idea to, instead of the friendly fire agreement, you had the option to identify yourself. If both agree to this, a small form of icon/name or something would show when you look at that person, if visible (not through trees, walls etc.). The distance of id'ing each other could be between 50 to 100 meters or so. Once both had agreed the icon would show for "x" time. This would meen that you could recognize someone you know or have met before. How far away you should be able to recognize someone would be maybe a bit longer then the first meeting. This would benefit groups/clans as much as the loners. It would also meen that you would know if someone has dobblecrossed you before. Considering that in real life you are able to recognize people you know/ have met this isn't really a "gamey" solution, and I think it could work. (The distances and time should be balanced through trial and error, by devs and us alpha-testers).

Just an idea. Don't know if it's even original, or if it has been suggested before.

Ideas like this are so dumb and for noobs. Literally this suggestion would ruin the game. The whole point of the game is that anyone can kill anyone. This turns the game into hello kitty adventure land. Yes the game needs to facilitate ways to cooperate inside the game but it shouldn't be as easy and unrealistic as this

You might be retarded. This suggestion gives both sides comfort in knowing they can't kill each other and that the other guy is friendly (for an hour). It's not unrealistic, it's one of the best suggestions for teamwork that I have seen. It could even only be allowed on recruit servers.

• Like 1

Why does everbody think this is Quake with a survival mode and unarmed bots ?

The humanity feature, although removed for flaws in its implementation, should make it obvious that dayz was designed from the start to be something more realistic.

Like, there are assholes out there, but (apart from maybe the stupid us citizens), people dont fall back to animal behavior when theres a power breakdown, flood, a war they are fleeing from, local nuclear plant blowing up, stuff like that, instead, they help each other.

Simple because most of us would get bad dreams if we kill a guy just because we think his boots would make the walk to the refugee camp easier than it is in our sandals.

But as you neither can implement bad dreams and guilty conscience nor use your insight on human nature on some generic player avatar, the call friendly feature would be a simplified representation of the effects you would see IRL of the aforementioned human characteristics.

Also, you dont have your RL reflexes ingame so you cant react as quickly as you can IRL if that guy who said hes friendly suddenly trys to grab inside his jacket.

Btw, beeing unable to kill your "friend" doesnt mean you cant loot the shit out of him while hes in the kitchen making himself some sandwiches.

• Like 2

Why does everbody think this is Quake with a survival mode and unarmed bots ?

The humanity feature, although removed for flaws in its implementation, should make it obvious that dayz was designed from the start to be something more realistic.

Like, there are assholes out there, but (apart from maybe the stupid us citizens), people dont fall back to animal behavior when theres a power breakdown, flood, a war they are fleeing from, local nuclear plant blowing up, stuff like that, instead, they help each other.

Simple because most of us would get bad dreams if we kill a guy just because we think his boots would make the walk to the refugee camp easier than it is in our sandals.

But as you neither can implement bad dreams and guilty conscience nor use your insight on human nature on some generic player avatar, the call friendly feature would be a simplified representation of the effects you would see IRL of the aforementioned human characteristics.

Also, you dont have your RL reflexes ingame so you cant react as quickly as you can IRL if that guy who said hes friendly suddenly trys to grab inside his jacket.

Btw, beeing unable to kill your "friend" doesnt mean you cant loot the shit out of him while hes in the kitchen making himself some sandwiches.

Thank you for taking the time to write this post.

Haha! It's like a pinky swear...

The problem:

Players who want to "pretend" to be friendly and then betray the other, but won't be able to do so. Since when the say "no" to the friendly invite, the player will either run or shoot them. Not going to work, in probably more then just this way.

I think adding a "friendly" voice emote is detrimental to the spirit of the game (because one could/should really use ones voice I think). I think it would be better to add some kind of emote, to wave ones hands instead.

Maybe some combination of lowering the rifle/pistol/weapon + waving friendly with a free hand to greet others and display a passiv non threatening stance.

A non threatening stance by lowering the weapon could benefit both players, as it might take a little amount of time (I dont know, just played for three days) to rise the rifle, perhaps enough for the other person to react one way or another, instead of simply being shot. I havent tried the feature in game, where one can lower the rifle (doubletapping left Ctrl I think), but I imagine it might offer half a second or perhaps a whole second.

Edited by Treehugger

The problem:

Players who want to "pretend" to be friendly and then betray the other, but won't be able to do so.

As i said, just wait till hes occupied with something and stands still.

Since when they say "no" to the friendly invite, the player will either run or shoot them.

Currently, they cant say no to the friendly invite, so the player will either run or shoot them on sight.

I think adding a "friendly" voice emote is detrimental to the spirit of the game (because one could/should really use ones voice I think). I think it would be better to add some kind of emote, to wave ones hands instead.

I'm quite sure that you didn't understand what we want to be implemented.

Means to communicate with other player already exist.

What we are looking for is a system that LOCKS your decision when you make up your mind and say "i'm friendly" or "i'm not".

• Like 1

Delete the whole can't shoot each other thing and I'd be for it. We just need a way to communicate our intentions better.

Thats what I'd say!

I think all these youngins are forgetting that they can't go around killing everyone they meet. That isn't "realistic". Recall the days of un modern society, people who murdered others where still hunted down by good folks and killed. There has always and will always be conscienceless for KoS behavior in reailty, yet this game doesn't offer any. How is that realistic? It isn't, not in the slightest. GIving an option like this isn't bad, yes it isn't realistic. But the entire game isn't "realistic". So it needs to develope some form of anti griefing.

I think this idea is fine, but an hour is to long. Perhaps a 5-10 min window, this gives you plenty of time to seperate or finish what you're doing. If you choose to team up. You can either keep hitting the Friendly shout button for safety with them or just trust them. IF they kill you after that window is up, So be it. We'll call that Meta gaming, but the option to kill you wasn't the only option for that player.

Your suggestion wouldn't make the game more appealing to a mass audience, it would just take away from what a mass audience is currently loving about the game.

You don't speak for everyone, as a member of the "mass audience". I am not for KoS bullshit, but am not against pvp.

So again,

Edited by Barronism
  • Like 1

you know this would reduce the ability to back stab 'friendlies' when you have less firepower (ie a pistol vs rifle or axe vs pistol)

some of my fondest memories are tricking people into being in a group and murdering them for their stuff....................

What we really need is a wave emote that you don't have to stand up in order to use. Saluting is clumsy and unintuitive.

you know this would reduce the ability to back stab 'friendlies' when you have less firepower (ie a pistol vs rifle or axe vs pistol)

some of my fondest memories are tricking people into being in a group and murdering them for their stuff....................

No it would not, it would increase it.

Now, for that time duration you cannot hurt eachother. If it is indeed a lower duration. Then just keep track of time to the second. Work with them and "be" friendly ingame with them. Then, shoot them the very second the timer is out. You can also grief by simply saying yes to their friendly option then having another friend come and kill him. You can be an unkillable scout.

If anything thing, this option greatly increases the amount of griefing or "meta" gaming that can happen. But it still gives those that want to play together a safer option to do so. Both sides win.

Remember, you don't have to click yes either. You can just kill them like the game currently is. Plus, you need to remember that not everyone will remember to use this feature in the heart of the moment.

Edited by Barronism

For those of you who still want to kill people, nothing is stopping you. Just decline or don't choose an option. If you don't like that, then you are a coward griefer because you don't want the other person to know you are going to kill them. That type of gameplay will kill this game.

That would be no different than what you have now. Just a fancy way of typing "friendly?" in the chat. That is NOT what the goal of this suggestion is.

The goal is to create a way for players who want to actually play in a survivor world where there are friendlies AND bandits.... the way the game is now, everyone is just a bandit. You have to shoot on sight or else you will be the one killed and robbed.

That is not a fun experience for the players who want to team up with strangers they meet along the way.

Well that is a fun experience for me,you shouldnt team up with strangers,just steer clear of them :/

If you want to play with someone,why not play with your friends?

Also,the "call out friendly" thing just seems like a trap,exactly something that bandits would use to make another players to lower down their guns and then kill em.How about no.

Why not just ask around in the forums (like friendly forum posts and such) and ask for company to play with,if the ones you meet there betray you just post in the forum that the player xxx is a fraud and a bandit and then they all know to steer clear of them.

A good way (maybe) to tell friend from foe would be that if a player would kill someone and become a bandit a insignia ,like a skull would appear on the player and hover around him WHEN you AIM at him so you see his name,and also then you would see the insignia that he's a bandit.

However this whole bandit or not system is a bit deceiving as players who are bandits may suddenly be bandits if they have to kill another player who has attacked him,and when you kill him,BANG! you've got a bandit tag on you.

I'd say that just try to not play with strangers,play with friends if you have to and just dont,never ever,say friendly in chat and approach another player,you're most likely to get killed.

about 99% of my player encounters are dangerous(one of us dies)

Meaning that I just tend to shoot any sorry m**********rs that see me,its like wild west!You suddenly have a mexican standoff between the two of you and the one who fires the first shot usually wins.IF a player doesn't see me,I try to sneak away and just let him pass,if he gets too close,I usually shoot him for my own protection.

Make no mistake,I'm no bandit( I really don't want to be one)

I just may seem like one.

Maybe Rocket should remove this whole bandit thing(all the forums) and just merge em all to one player base:survivors.

I dunno...

Edit:

If you hate being killed/betrayed by fellow survivors,dont play the game!That is one of the aspects in this game that make it so fun and addictive to play,the sense of danger,adventure of going through the dangerous cities,looting through stuff and getting rare loot...And then losing it all due to a camper or bandit.That restarts the whole process of FUN.Imagine if you just would have all the best loot in the game and you would have nothing to do anymore.

Then you die and you have a purpose once more:to get all your stuff back!

This whole friendly or not stuff really pictures real life quite well IF there was an zombie apocalypse.

Edited by Kristo112

This thread brought all of the backstabbing griefers like flies to honey. All of them running here to say how much fun they have backstabbing unsuspecting players.

This game has to refuse to cater to these types of griefers if it wants to succeed.

Disagree with your idea, must be a bandit. Seems legit.

Not like we can disagree because it's a bad/unnecessary idea. No, that's impossible.

Edited by Bukethead

The best way to deter a senseless KoS mentality is to make the act of firing a weapon very dangerous. I keep saying this in all of these bandit whine threads but I really believe the key here is to fix the broken zombies and make them a real threat to anyone attracting their attention. This will drive players to work together and avoid unnecessary confrontations with zombies.

Putting some kind of contrived lockout system in place is not the answer.