Sign in to follow this  
Henshin1

Hold Melee and Ranged Weapon

Hi Guys, I've been playing Day Z for a few days now and I've pretty much got the inventory system down pat. Just one thing that's troubling me that I wanted to clarify with the community is whether or not I am able to possess both a rifle, such as a Lee Enfield, and a Hatchet and be able to switch between the two whenever I need to?

So far whenever I've tried the game has forced me to drop one weapon in order to pick up another. Currently I'm holding a Lee Enfield, M1911 sidearm and I wanted to have a melee weapon handy with me so I don't have to waste ammo on zombies. Is this possible? Or do I need to make the choice between the rifle and the hatchet.

Thanks everyone.

Currently you have to have put your main weapon to backpack and then right mouse click switch hatchet from your toolbelt.

Your main weapon takes 10 slots from the backpack. When you are done your axing business just move it back to toolbelt and move main weapon back to main arm slot.

Of course you can also drop your main weapon and switch to hatchet but then you always need to come back to the place where you dropped weapon and if server restart happens in between etc you lose the stuff on the ground

• Like 2

Unfortunately, you can't. You'll either have to drop one OR get a big enough backpack to switch. Make sure you have 10 slots available in the backpack, otherwise your rifle will disappear.

edit: aaaah, too late :)

Edited by Knurpsi

make crowbar a secondary, good for zerging deadheads when scaveging

Hi, you won't be able to switch between rifle and hatchet, like between rifle and sidearm. Best way is to put your rifle in your backpack (be careful to have at least 10 free slots, otherwise your weapon is gone) and than equip the hatchet. But for me this is to slow and complicated, so i would leave the hatchet and keep the enfield and keep looking for a better rifle like an AKM. YOu can find those very often at the deerstands.

Btw the hatchet isn't a great help while dealing with other players, except you run into them.

edit: too late in many ways ...

Edited by MasterBlaster
  • Like 1

Not just 10 slots for the gun but also slots for the ammo since ammo will follow the gun. If you have only 10 slots open in your backpack and move your Enfield over any Enfield ammo will disappear since there isn't space for it. Or at least it used to be that way. Happened to me a few times in the past and have avoided doing it again. Maybe that has been fixed? I don't know.

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

Thanks so much for all the replies. Much Appreciated. Guess i'll have to start looking for a bigger backpack :)

Not just 10 slots for the gun but also slots for the ammo since ammo will follow the gun. If you have only 10 slots open in your backpack and move your Enfield over any Enfield ammo will disappear since there isn't space for it. Or at least it used to be that way. Happened to me a few times in the past and have avoided doing it again. Maybe that has been fixed? I don't know.

Yeah good point - have dropped accidentally many mags when having only 10 slots on backpack and moving weapon with 5 mags to it.

Actually stuff doesn't disappear - it randomly teleports on the ground nearby.

Yeah good point - have dropped accidentally many mags when having only 10 slots on backpack and moving weapon with 5 mags to it.

Actually stuff doesn't disappear - it randomly teleports on the ground nearby.

Oh that's right! Forgot that it just gets dropped on the ground. First couple of times I thought the ammo disappeared but the last time I did it I found the ammo on the ground.

It has, the ammo just stays in your immediate inventory. I have a CZ and a FN Fal, pretty much keep both the ammos in my immediate inventory.

It has, the ammo just stays in your immediate inventory. I have a CZ and a FN Fal, pretty much keep both the ammos in my immediate inventory.

Really? Glad that got fixed. I'm going to go test that out.

Edited by Dude

make crowbar a secondary, good for zerging deadheads when scaveging

I believe he meant this as a wish or a suggestion for the future.

There is not any way to make the crowbar available in your secondary weapon slot at this time as far as I know.

Good luck!

I believe he meant this as a wish or a suggestion for the future.

There is not any way to make the crowbar available in your secondary weapon slot at this time as far as I know.

Good luck!

Yep, right now it just seems sub-par to the hatchet in all respects, That or nerf hatchet?