johannesmp

Question About camping tent placement

I've had a camping tent on me a few times now and have spent hours trying to place it without any success - I always get the annoying "You cannot place a Tent here. The area must be flat, and free of other objects"

UEzJUl.jpg

The message states that there are two requirements:

• 1. The area must be flat (no slope)
    2. The area must be free of ojects.

The annoying thing is I don't have a way to know which of these criteria I am not meeting, or how I'm not meeting it. For example, in the image above I made sure to try on top of a hill, and in a location where there were no trees/rocks/bushes/etc for a good 5 meters in any direction from me.

I would like to know:

• 1. What does it mean by 'flat'? I have seen tents pitched on the slope of the beach which must have been at least 10°, far more than many places I've tried to pitch a tent.
    2. What does it mean by 'objects'? Obviously Trees, Bushes, Rocks, Fences, Buildings, etc. count, but what about tall grass? Or any grass at all? Does this have to be completely free of any ground cover? More often I see tents pitched on parking lots, but I want to actually pitch one that is hidden from sight so that's no option for me.
    I have been very careful to make sure that trees and any other physical objects are several meters away from my location.
    I was hoping 2. would be more lenient now with 1.5.8.3's fix:
[FIXED] Tent's cannot be placed easily (reduced object checking zone area)
But even after I updated to 1.5.8.4 today it hasn't changed at all.

I have asked several people on various servers about this issue and most seem to say that it's pretty random, and that they just keep trying until eventually it decides to work. Is that really it, or does anyone in the community know a solid, sure-fire way to place a tent (on grass, not on pavement)? Is there a special trick?

When you do place the tent is it placed where you are looking, or at the location where you are currently standing?

I am a very visual person, so I would love it if there was a video of someone successfully planting a tent, preferably in a semi-hidden area, and not on a totally open field.

TL;DR

Can someone explain to me, or preferably show me, how to place a tent that's not on pavement?

The fact you can't place a tent in the forest is... sorry to say is plain stupid... city kids...

Rocket do you ever go outside or go camping?.... your body temp feature = fail, your placement boundaries for tents = fail, need to source wood from loot for fires = fail.

You need to consult with people who do.

Please, would you just try using the seach button (tents) will do the trick.

There is a troubleshooting forum section for this sort of problem and guess what, it's full of tents !

You may not find the answer that you want but the discussion can be continued in the correct place.

Thanks...