B00tsy (DayZ)

Don't add to much features

It is really great to see all the suggestions that are being made and that people are actively thinking along. It shows how great DayZ is and that there is already a thriving community around the mod!

However, I am a bit worried that eventually (if Rocket and helpers implements them) to much will be added and that the mod will become to much fuzz to play. As the average lifetime is only 30 minutes it may not be a good idea to having to worry about a zillion things in those 30 minutes. Personally I think 'having a cold' is already to much. I hope DayZ will stay hardcore with good fundaments (balanced AI, balanced loot, balanced, faction difficulty, etcetera), but not with a zillion 'features' and shiny's while it adds nothing to the core gameplay, but just adds extra fuzz to enjoy your exploring and surviving.

It is really great to see all the suggestions that are being made and that people are actively thinking along. It shows how great DayZ is and that there is already a thriving community around the mod!

However' date=' I am a bit worried that eventually (if Rocket and helpers implements them) to much will be added and that the mod will become to much fuzz to play. As the average lifetime is only 30 minutes it may not be a good idea to having to worry about a zillion things in those 30 minutes. Personally I think 'having a cold' is already to much. I hope DayZ will stay hardcore with good fundaments (balanced AI, balanced loot, balanced, faction difficulty, etcetera), but not with a zillion 'features' and shiny's while it adds nothing to the core gameplay, but just adds extra fuzz to enjoy your exploring and surviving.

[/quote']

I think more features means more shit to do other then walking in and out of a building for loot 24/7

Well it's like creating a painting. If you keep painting on an already beautiful painting you can ruin it up to the point it becomes to ugly to look at.

Well it's like creating a painting. If you keep painting on an already beautiful painting you can ruin it up to the point it becomes to ugly to look at.

Agreed' date=' I covered this a few times on here and basically said....

[b']"If I find a can of beans and want to eat it I should not have to find a can opener, spoon, bowl and a pot to cook it in. Some things in a game should just be without over complication and ridiculous intricacy."

I agree with this 100%.

Part of the joy of this mod is the simplicity of the concept.

I love the realism and the survival elements and would like to see some of that stuff fleshed out. But skills, classes, and some of the other stuff just isn't necessary.

Theres a tonne of stuff that needs fixing as well before new stuff gets added eh :)

I agree, to an extent. Things like objectives is a necessity cause it keeps the game fresh, and gives it some more depth and gameplay variety.

However, taking a poo is something I do not wish to do in a game.

Then what will keep it going after people get bored because of the same thing over and over again.

i hope we will have more sandbox features, abilities to build different kind of tents, abilities to open a market place maybe or have some trading tools.

I hope we will have talkie walkies so people without it can't have access to a global chat ,etc. I hope we(ll have more features, abilities to control maybe some area, power plants, stuff like that. So you have something to do , i mean more stuffs and meaning stuff to do

Then what will keep it going after people get bored because of the same thing over and over again.

Eventually you get bored with every game/mod, thats part of human nature. It would be worse if a game has so many shiny's and non essential mandatory features that you wont want to go to the trouble of playing it in the first place.

I don't know if I agree, more features is better but there should of course be some limits to what features get added..

So much more could be added at this stage imo without making the mod worse, it will just make it better.

It should not be easy to survive, nothing is wrong with 30 minutes; play again and play better. There has been a lot of new players recently too because of recent articles about the mod which of course will lower the "average life expectancy".

However' date=' I am a bit worried that eventually (if Rocket and helpers implements them) to much will be added and that the mod will become to much fuzz to play. As the average lifetime is only 30 minutes it may not be a good idea to having to worry about a zillion things in those 30 minutes. Personally I think 'having a cold' is already to much. I hope DayZ will stay hardcore with good fundaments (balanced AI, balanced loot, balanced, faction difficulty, etcetera), but not with a zillion 'features' and shiny's while it adds nothing to the core gameplay, but just adds extra fuzz to enjoy your exploring and surviving.

[/quote']

Balanced AI, loot, factions? whaaat? How in the hell...???

also average lifetime may be 30 minutes but its just average number, its very easy to stay alive for dayz.

I say give us more!

I think we should trust rocket to add features that enrich and expand the experience, as opposed to making it "fuzzy" or overly intricate or complex. A more appropriate request would be "Please carefully consider the impact your features will have on the things that make DayZ an incredible experience." But, then again, that goes without saiyng.

to op:

limiting the game features reasoning it with average life time is incredibly illogical.

the more features you have the more interesting the game is. if you can't survive longer then 30 minutes thats your problem.

if you can't get geared up thats your problem.

but saying that there should not be more features and game should say in current state as: "get some supplies -> gear up -> have nothing to do anymore" is the same as saying that you should not be able to build things in minecraft because all you should is survive agains zombies and skeletons.

but i do agree that there should not be any kind of classes/perks/scripted factions and so on.

all of this should be formed by players.

players survive, get supplies, gear up, and instead of going tk every1 because they are bored - they build up camp and crafting ammo, food and stuff, and their camps can be raided, or they can raid another camps / take it over and so on in cti mode warfare way. but again, NOT scripted, and this should not be mandatory.

anyway, rp elements and cti elements is a must to make game addictive on later stages of progression.

but no classes, no skills, and maybe no squad mechanics aswell.

more about all of this in this thread. just not to spam about why how and what.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6152

to op:

limiting the game features reasoning it with average life time is incredibly illogical.

the more features you have the more interesting the game is. if you can't survive longer then 30 minutes thats your problem.

if you can't get geared up thats your problem.

but saying that there should not be more features and game should say in current state as: "get some supplies -> gear up -> have nothing to do anymore" is the same as saying that you should not be able to build things in minecraft because all you should is survive agains zombies and skeletons.

I never said there should not be more features. As an other poster also said, with all the suggestions coming by it' easily can go overboard with 'stuff' in the game (what players want). Like having to find an opener for the can and then needing a plate and spoon for it etcetera. If I need to do all those things just to keep alive then it becomes a chore. The mod is fun now because you can basically do what you want, besides finding some food and water to stay alive. If a zillion other factors are added to that 'just to stay alive' then I think i'll pass.

it' easily can go overboard with 'stuff' like having to find an opener for the can and then needing a plate and spoon for it etcetera. If I need to do all those things just to keep alive then it becomes a chore.

well this is overcomplicating things, not adding new features.

I have died very few times around 30 minutes. If you don't go to the 'hotspots' then you'll eventually find that you can live for 4+ hours. It's a nice feature to have to have fire, it pushes teamwork.

If you're not a team player, then of course you're going to go to the bigger, more popular cities, otherwise you'll never get any gear to travel. It's all pretty realistic, though I think that there should be another line of text in the debug monitor that says just WHAT the temperature outside actually is, give or take. If it feels COLD, you would know it.

My last play lasted for 6 hours, there were 6 of us, Fire Squad and Bandit Squad is what we called ourselves. We went up north and eventually I had to get offline (at which point I had them kill me for my things).

My point is that if you play with people, you'll likely live longer. If you go to the giant cities, your life expectancy is lessened.

To summarize I feel that we should be able to tell just how cold it is, and that spawn points should be more randomized, and all over the map, because everyone spawning on the coast near Ele/Chern/Airstrip really makes the game more about going to the big city and less about survival.

Life expectancy is low because people are either respawning to get to a better loot-site or taking part in the bloody bean wars near the coast. North is still brutal but safer.

Features will add to the diversity of the game and give players something more to do than trade Makorov shots in Cherno. The average PC player can manage a lot of systems as long as they are not game-breaking.

Well about that maybe later on when the mod is actually released he could enable a "classic" more simplistic mode as well as the normal standard mode. Either way I think rocket will make something good out of it.

it' easily can go overboard with 'stuff' like having to find an opener for the can and then needing a plate and spoon for it etcetera. If I need to do all those things just to keep alive then it becomes a chore.

well this is overcomplicating things' date=' not adding new features.

[/quote']The two are generally synonymous and this game is already borderlining overcomplication, adding more features just adds to the arduousness of playing the game.

Right now it is pretty intuitive and works but going really any farther than it currently is; is just asking for problems. If you overcomplicate a game and make performing simple tasks strenuous or add too many things you constantly have to be worrying about you are going to lose people in large numbers.

At first it may seem okay but they will drop off like flies as the game becomes more of a chore to play rather than an actual source of enjoyment.

well this is overcomplicating things' date=' not adding new features.

[/quote']

Well in that context I ment 'to much features'. So in the end you agree after all :)

I couldn't think of a better way to of said that. It would be great if instead of adding new stuff, make the game more efficient and work on some know bugs for awhile.

I feel that this entire thread is pointless. "Adding to many features" is a gigantic vague and whimsical term. Instead of asking him to stop all further development of the game, you should wait until the actual 'feature' is implimented or discussed, THEN post an opinion about that.

Just saying "The game is going to get too complex if you add much more!!!" is, put nicely, dumb. The game is meant to be tough and realistic, if you want something changed then voice an opinion about a feature(s).

Don't try to stop all development because you're scared of clicking more keys.

More features the better. There are simple games with shotguns and pills for people who wouldn't like to get a full feel.

The two are generally synonymous and this game is already borderlining overcomplication' date=' adding more features just adds to the arduousness of playing the game.

At first it may seem okay but they will drop off like flies as the game becomes more of a chore to play rather than an actual source of enjoyment.

[/quote']

okay explain me how making it possible to build camps for example and so on make game less enjoyable?

Well in that context I ment 'to much features'. So in the end you agree after all :)

i'm not fan of mechanics like "to cook a bread you need to flour, to get flour you need to harvest wheat, to harvest wheat you need mow, to make a mow you need etc etc etc :)

i guess "don't overcomplicate things" will fit your idea a bit better, rather to keep game out of new features and keep it canned.

I do think the post is a little vague. What is a feature? Is that equipment? Surely some more unique items would be interesting? Or maybe not... if so, why?

Or are we talking about mechanics? And in which case, what level of mechanics? They work on many levels. What to one person is a great feature can be to another terrible. Also, some features can be designed to be optional to suit a particular play-style. Are these objected too?

I too have struggled with this concern. Some bugs take quite a while to fix or may be engine dependent. Until then, I can either generate new content, new mechanics - or I could just wait. I've opted to continue the experiment, adding things that I really wasn't sure would work but I find interesting - like the sickness system. It's got a long way to go before I think we can objectively assess it, but I think for the genesis of an idea it's not bad. It's simple, but it has a massive complex effect on a players thinking and engages them to the world.

I guess, in summary. What is do you mean by "feature"?