ShigZ

"FRIENDLY" is bullshit

I killed one guy cause he wanted to get behind me ! after that i found out he was a bandid ,so ..

Death is part of DayZ and you will lose your gear to a fellow player with an itchy trigger finger someday, it's inevitable. In order to enjoy DayZ to it’s fullest you must accept this fact. I, personally, never kill players. I have always found that the thanks and friendly voice of that fellow survivor you just saved is worth the chance of being shot. I can be found picking off the zombies that like to trail the new-comers in Cherno/Electro. Giving away the extra gun I had in my backpack is always nice too. But I do pay the price of my way of thinking; I am often shot and killed by someone who I was simply trying to help; or wounded because I was mistaken for a zombie. But, even after countless deaths I will still do what I do.

I must admit though, I do have a bit of dark past. But I won’t ever repeat my ax-murdering ways. I must atone for my sins!

I generally avoid contact, unless it's a split second thing, (Ie. when I'm looting a building and I come out of a door into the barrel of whatever gun the equally surprised survivor is holding). When I do make contact with another player, it is because I either have no other choice, or I have the upper hand. That being said, when I am not forced into a position where I have to take the shot, I try to be helpful, but I keep meetings brief.

The last player I made contact with was because we both aggro'd a crap tonne of zeds and just happened to take cover in the same two-storey barn. He took one staircase, I took the other, and while we were shooting the immediate threat, we both called friendly, We laughed at the circumstances, I saw he was bleeding, so I dropped a steak I had cooked earlier on the ground while he bandaged himself up, he thanked me, and asked me if I needed anything, I told him I was fine, just a little short on Makarov ammo, and he dropped me two clips.

Neither of us stayed long, He asked to group up with me, but I declined, I do better on my own, but I gave him directions to another barn and a deerstand and we parted ways. We may have been friendly, but I haven't survived two weeks straight by trusting anyone, he might have trusted me, but I had my gun trained on him from the second my last zed was killed, until I saw him disappear over the horizon.

Edited by Kerwyn
  • Like 1

Hi Shig, it's a shame but many people play that way. That's life. All I can say is I will never shoot anyone who hasn't shot at me. If you see my name in a server I will most likely be carrying a deadly flashlight, doing the flashlight dance or running away from zombies. These are two skills I have recently developed to a high level of skill. But I expect to be shot because we're playing with people who have different values, beliefs and reasons to be in DayZ. I know it can be hard but it's still great to get out there. You just have to have a different objective. If your objective is to gather lots of quality loot, foods, weapons, etc and then try to keep them for as long as possibl, you can only lose.

See it more as what can you achieve before your next death. That's what I do. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A Bandit specifically wants contact, wants to kill the person, and wants to take everything they have.

They camp specific spots and wait it out to kill you and take your stuff.

A "Survivor" is not a good guy. A survivor is a guy, just like you, who is out on his own or with a small group, going in and out quickly, and if they run into someone, chances are a firefight will ensue where a victor emerges. A survivor, survives. Its you or them.

So don't think "Survivor HQ" means "good guys that never shoot HQ"

Edited by LordRayken
  • Like 1

Not everyone is immediately hostile. Yesterday i teamed up with a few other medics and we spent the day cruising around in the "Ambulance Van" responding to first aid requests on the forums/steam. Definately the most fun i've had in DayZ so far, apart from a communication error on my part which resulted in me shooting the patient by mistake :blush: We went and picked him up from respawn though and took him back to his body so he could get his stuff so i think i was forgiven by the patient lol.

ROFL Ben you fucking shot your patient? :D Was that like:

- "I am sorry, its a terminal disease, i cannot cure you. There is only one last thing i can do for you. *BAM!*"

sorry but this made my day, i laughed so hard my colleagues came looking at my screen :D

To everyone: Ben is a great medic, and if you're staving he'll also fix you up with some tasty steak. I assure you, the mortality rate of his patients is rather low lol..

I always try to be friendly. Really dont want this game to turn into COD deathmatch.

Its a great feeling helping someone then making new friends, allies.

After getting shot in the face one time to many I'm going with the 'shoot on sight, shoot to kill' philosophy.. If I see one of you people looting a nice spot, expect a bullet in the back or an axe in the face...

Yes... I'm bitter.

After getting shot in the face one time to many I'm going with the 'shoot on sight, shoot to kill' philosophy.. If I see one of you people looting a nice spot, expect a bullet in the back or an axe in the face...

Yes... I'm bitter.

snore.... enjoy bandit camp

A "Survivor" is not a good guy. A survivor is a guy, just like you, who is out on his own or with a small group, going in and out quickly, and if they run into someone, chances are a firefight will ensue where a victor emerges. A survivor, survives. Its you or them.

True. I am becoming more aware of how people react to a encounter. Most of the time, the guy will just panic and shoot. Just to prevent not getting murdered.

Bandits usually are people who likes to kill other players. Just by the sake of it. Doesn't matter if you just saved them from a group of Zeds or you are completely unarmed. They will kill you to get murder count. It's their style of gaming. It's ok.

But I will hunt down those bastards and kill them mercilessly. Lately, I've been creeping Cherno, looking for murderers. I picture myself as a "Judge Dredd" of Chenarus. Police, Judge, Jury and Executioner.

It's a very hard job. But VERY satisfactory when I get a bandit kill. I basically just watch how people play from afar. If I see someone killing a player. I hunt and try to kill him. Or just scare the hell of him. People who are just passing by I let them be. I ask if they need anything and just say "Peace, brother. Now move on". :lol:

Bandit hunter is a hardcore way of playing DayZ. If someone is up, lets patrol Cherno together! ;)

Edited by ShigZ

the way i play this game is... if they have a primary wepon and have noticed you and are aiming... shoot to kill, if they only have a secondary or no wepons i help them or let them be. most of the time though they will kill you if they have a better wepon than you, you are as good as dead if they noticed u first. and if they were bandits you know they were going to shoot you haha.

Honestly, I think I could live forever if dayz was just me and zombies. That would be a singleplayer but it would be dull. A private server for your pals with everyone out to achieve the same thing would be great but eventually it would either get boring or people would bicker and break into groups, maybe kill each other.

I think we are all survivors. Some are bandits. That doesn't mean that all bandits are bad people. I'm sure they're good to their mates in the game. Neither does it mean that the rest of the players are good guys. People having different views on who they will kill and under what circumstances.

Mine view for me and me alone (I don't want to change the world) is: In every situation, I will try to avoid my own death in a non-violent way. If I have a weapon, I will not use it on a zombie unless I can't run away. I will not use it on a player unless that person is shooting at me. So I'm pretty much likely to die but I'd rather accep that than shoot and add to the shoot first culture.

I have a salt addiction and it's rare in these parts. It's a horrible horrible addiction and without my fix I might lose my mind. So I kill everyone I see and lick their juicy salty tears.

U weird lol

Ben, that was funny, shooting your patient. Please don't come work in my local hospital! But you went and got that person and you took them to their things. That was honorable, and I respect that.

Sometimes it's hard to live that way but I don't want to change my values just because I get a bigger gun or have more power than someone else. :thumbsup:

I normally stick to my usual friend, or my usual pre-made group if I play with other people.

I met a guy at Stary when I was raiding the tents and he had an enfield. He fired at me 3 times missing all of his shots and then ran into a tent, I killed all the zombies and told him to use his handgun so he doesn't attract more. He used his handgun and we cleared them all out then as I was moving to the last tent he tried to shoot me AGAIN after I saved his life, so my friend put a 50 cal round into his head.

Its the stuff like that that turns people into KoS douche bags. I still remain friendly, and will assist anyone in need so long as they don't fire on me. A mic really helps alot when trying to make friends. Responding helps too. Anyone who doesn't respond, but sticks around anyways, is a dead man

Edited by Fribox

I'm just going to copy and paste my story from another thread here, sorry if you have already seen it, but it looks like as fitting a place as any for my encounter to go:

I wish I met survivors like this. I won't get irritated when I die, maybe a little disappointed at doing something stupid that caused my death, but when something like what happened to me recently occurs, you really just want to shoot everyone you see on sight.

I'm going around the Berezino tents and I hear someone call friendly over the mic, since I had already walked past him and not even noticed him, I agree that he probably is friendly, and then we join up for a bit. He says he is part of a clan on the server, asks if I want to join, I say sure, and then he gives me NVG's, First set I've seen in the game, and we give blood transfusions and all that jazz. End up doing a bit of looting and such for about 10-20 minutes. Then after we loot a crashed Heli I had passed on the way, we go to the tree line, and I notice I have an almost flashing food bar, I say that I'm going to head into town for some food, he says he will give me some, goes around behind me and shoots me in the back of the head. I have run this through my mind several times, and I just can't get my head round why he shot me, (if I had, I may still be alive) if you're wondering how I know it was him, well I heard the shot that killed me, and it was the same gun he had. Not a long range weapon, but a FAL. We were in a fairly quiet area by then, I would have been surprised to see anyone else there, considering there was about 5 people on the server at the time. I had also added him on skype for later, but he has never been online from what I can see, also strange considering HE was the one that suggested adding him.

But that is survival for you, If you don't know them, don't trust them. I'm not trying to cause people to not trust each other (lets be honest, the game is designed to do that itself), just that people really need to know that even If you join with someone for a while, doesn't mean they won't be a complete tool and shoot you when your back is turned.

Since this I have met up with other people, even given a new guy some ammo for his Enfield when I helped him out from a zombie onslaught. (We both ended up trapped and dead another town over, it is probably better just to run than ring the dinner bell and watch the Zed's come swarming). Again though, he had ample opportunity to kill me and take my gear, but I helped him anyway, I had little to lose at the time, so I wasn't too bothered if he did (so long as he killed me outright, rather than befriending me to shoot me). Also I will add that even though I was leading him (I had the map) I was constantly checking behind me to make sure he didn't try to train his gun on me, so much so that I was running into trees, lol.

So, not my favourite story to tell, but it does teach you to be wary of anyone you don't actually know. I'd like to join in with people here and say my play style hasn't been affected, but of course it has. I am not a bandit, I will not be sitting on top of a hill near Cherno any time soon picking people off for the sake of a larger number at the side of my screen, but If I think I am at risk, then I will not be taking chances again. If someone says they are friendly, then they will have a chance to move along, if not, I will take the shot. I have met with friendly people on forums before, and I think it is a good way to team up if you want to, and don't have RL friends with this game.

"Not everyone is out to get you, but you won't meet everyone if the first person you see is."

"Humanity? The Human race has no Humanity, just a bunch of glorified primates with an overwhelmingly powerful belief that their existence is far more important than everything else's."

• Like 1

4 situations for me. If he is unarmed, I might just give him some food and maybe a pistol w/o ammo. Hatchet people I tell them to stay away and just dont shoot. Armed people down south I try to warn them that I am armed and ready to shoot. Up north, Kill on sight.

I recommend this to all players.

I take a similar stance except I don't warn down South. If you have a gun and I don't think I can sneak past you I will shoot you on sight. However if i've got a wall or something between you and me (has happened in Cherno a lot for example) I will try to engage in dialogue and get a truce going.

I'm a very live and let live sort of guy.

• Like 1