Sign in to follow this  
lugaru

Rebalancing Food and Drink (because I ate a cow).

So one of my favorite features in survival games is looking for supplies and keeping my character alive and healthy.

That said I would love to see food and drink eventually rebalanced.

First of all I would like to see the health gained from each food item increased, and give each beverage a small ammount of healing... BUT food and drink creates a "full" or "satiated" status that does not allow you to consume anything else until you get hungry/thirsty again.

For example yesterday my blood was down to like 5000... but it is ok, I killed and ate a whole cow, getting myself back up to a healthy level in no time.

I would find it more interesting if each item healed a bit more (food 1000/500/200 for meat/cans/snaks and drink 500/200 for water/soda)... BUT once full it will probably be a long time before you can use food to increase your hp again.

This would be more "realistic" than gobbling infinite amounts of food and would be both good and bad for solo players... sure each item you find heals a bit more, but over abundance is no longer exploitable.

Thoughts?

• Like 13

It would make reliance on blood bags heavier, and hence encourage co-op with other players more. Not by much, by something's better then nothing. It's a good idea.

• Like 1

very good idea. might have to tweek around with the numbers a bit but it's better than the current system.

Very true, I am rolling around in a squad, and we tend to have a few steaks (2-4) on each person but we dont use it as food..its more like a medipack.

Eating whole cows after a fight, feels like DragonBall to me..and seems somehow out of place in DayZ. But preventing people to gorge on steak like vampires on blood would also have a strongly diminishing effect on solo play banditry/survivalism since there is no way to administer bloodbags to yourself (sweet baby jesus thanks for that).

The game would indeed become harder, since stuffing yourself with the content of several supermarket shelves wouldnt be possible anymore and therefore people not having someone around to dump a load in them (that sounds wrong :D ) would have to be extremely careful for a longer amount of time.

I think the best way to implement this would be by having different kinds of food/drink items have different blood restore values(which in my opinion should be over time..not instantly) and an invisible calory value.

A Character can only hold so many calories at once..and cant eat again unless he has lost enozgh calories for the item to "fit in"

Obviously the same thing should apply to beverages, always odd that a frickin can of soda does the same as a water bottle

• Like 1

There is nothing to add, but food should give less blood.

And there is another problem...

"Oh im thirsty, to bad I have no water bottle. Now I have to die because I am to stupid to drink out of the lake with my hands."

Rocket, please add an option for this!

Edited by Ben-X

Golgo82 is super eloquent about the point I'm trying to make... consuming a supermarket is not the most "realistic" way to recover from a gunshot, given that DayZ tries not to be too gamey. I also love the idea of needing to make space for stuff... "I cant eat a steak right now, but I can fit in one of those granola bars that they added on the last (hypothetical) patch".

I dont know if I would make survival require more food and drink... because I see a lot of new players complain about starving and dying of thirst, and that is alien to me. I get shot a lot, and get eaten a lot... but have never died due to my own lack of food.

I had addressed this in my thread about blood regeneration (sig). However if you are not a fan of blood regeneration I would say that Golgo's calorie system coupled with reduces health values for food would be the most realistic.

If food HAS to restore blood, it should not be a lot. Blood restoration should either be natural and supplemented by food or restored by blood bags. Getting shot should not be countered by a bandaid and a nice classic sirloin cooked rare.

Edited by drseptapus

well technically you didn't eat a whole cow, you ate 8 steaks.

anyhow, i like your idea! would make the game a bit more realistic.

Ill start by saying this mod is the biz. Definitely needs some work, but Rocket has started something amazing. That said, food needs some work. I have been playing for over a week now, and have yet to find a single food item, ever. There is just not enough of it in the world. With the setting having so much lush country side, where is all the wild life??? Animals are very rare. I suggest adding more animals and perhaps foragable foods in the wilderness. One of my characters ended up lost deep in the woods while raining. I was dying of both thirst and hunger. This was fristrating as there was plenty of water falling from the sky, and trees and plants abound. Adding some spawnable foragable foods would be great! It would add playability tothe vast stretches of wilderness in the game world. In the 3 hours i was lost, i saw only 1 animal the entire time! This does these areas an injustice, making them worthless wastelands...

Ill start by saying this mod is the biz. Definitely needs some work, but Rocket has started something amazing.

Technically... this is just Walking Dead the video game..... not really something they started...