Sign in to follow this  
bonetopick

How realistic are ballistics?

I know some of the guns and ammo are off but I'm wondering how true to life the ballistics and performance of the different calibers are?

I'm not sure how much they altered the original values from arma2. Those however were very very accurate. Not as good as with the ACE2 mod, but still pretty realistic.

Take the SVD for example. It has this scope:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lrpfFQnoqC8/TzhjZAy-lAI/AAAAAAAADbE/4XZSTNU4CUo/s1600/Ranging.jpg

In Arma this scope actually works. You can measure distances with the scale on the left, and then aim accordingly using the different rangemarks on the crosshair. That should give you an rough idea about the realism.

What Tajin said. You can also zero-in the sights on many weapons with the addition of Operation Arrowhead. In ACE, you can even dial-in scopes for windage and elevation. Unfortunately, Day Z doesn't use the ACE mod, but Arma II still has some very good ballistics without it.

I had an M4A1 and before I logged out lying on the side of a hill I decided to test the game's accuracy. I aimed for a zombie head that was a mere few pixels wide, way in the distance. I popped a single shot and he dropped like the ValuJet. So beware that players can and will kill you from extreme distances, especially with scoped rifles.