LuCiDiTy (DayZ)

Factional area's, just an idea.

Hey guys,

I'm an old eve- player and I don't know if this is possible now but for the standalone I think this would be a cool idea, maybe it shouldn't be allowed in main area's such as cherno and elektra but for other towns up north I wouldn't see an issue. I was thinking about being able to create ingame factions that can hold down specific area's, once they have collected a specific amount of super rare loot like generators,storage devices, medical loot and placing barbed wire or sandbags in a certain format you could literally take over a town.

This would.

Remove all zombie spawns in that town / location.

Stop loot spawns in that area, except medical supplies / food / drink.

Create 2/4 big storage crates.

Create a lit area at all times.

Players could fight over these locations or even plan ambushes on faction supply routes, making it easier for other clans / factions to whittle down the inhabitants. These area's could be friendly safe zones where the clan is friendly and just looking for a HQ or it could be completely the opposite a HQ for a very hostile clan to store loot and supplies before heading out on a big operation.

The idea behind this will be that only 2 clans could possibly set-up a HQ in the entire server thus making them a huge asset for people willing to fight over them.

Edited by LuCiDiTy
  • Like 1

I reckon once all of the tools are in place (possibly in the standalone) this kind of thing will naturally evolve. To try and force it doesn't seem in keeping with the type of game I want DayZ to be.

• Like 1

I reckon once all of the tools are in place (possibly in the standalone) this kind of thing will naturally evolve. To try and force it doesn't seem in keeping with the type of game I want DayZ to be.

It's just an idea, as currently there is no endgame par hunt and kill. So having something else to do like refilling the town with supplies and such would give people something else to do rather than KOS'ing every single player they get their sights on :D

Sounds gamey, artificial, contrived and World of Warcraft-like.

Takes away from the spirit and complete differentness of DayZ.

Bad idea.

I remember things like this happening in the early-mid parts of the game where clans camped out at Devil's Castle (Or Rock? Can't remember) and other clans would try to attack it and take it for themselves. It was pretty cool as basically, it was like a medieval siege where only occasional shots were being fired. Pretty cool stuff. Like Fraggle, said, this will be implemented by us, the players.

• Like 1

I remember things like this happening in the early-mid parts of the game where clans camped out at Devil's Castle (Or Rock? Can't remember) and other clans would try to attack it and take it for themselves. It was pretty cool as basically, it was like a medieval siege where only occasional shots were being fired. Pretty cool stuff. Like Fraggle, said, this will be implemented by us, the players.

Damn I'm sad I missed that, wish more people were still doing this I'd love to get in on some of that action.

Bad idea.

I'm pretty sure if there was a real zombie apoc, you wouldn't be running around on your own just hoping to "survive". There would be people looking to secure a large area and increase their numbers.

Edited by LuCiDiTy
  • Like 2

Damn I'm sad I missed that, wish more people were still doing this I'd love to get in on some of that action.

I'm pretty sure if there was a real zombie apoc, you wouldn't be running around on your own just hoping to "survive". There would be people looking to secure a large area and increase their numbers.

Off-topic:

Do you remember...

..Dayz radio? :)

It's just an idea, as currently there is no endgame par hunt and kill. So having something else to do like refilling the town with supplies and such would give people something else to do rather than KOS'ing every single player they get their sights on :D

There's loads of side projects you can get involved with if you get bored waiting for the finished game. I'm setting up a medical supply route for the Wasteland Meds at the moment. There's "Fort Friendly" the "Freeloaders" or if slaughtering people is more your cup of tea then there mercenary groups you can join. Until we have more tools (bases/electricity ect.) it's just a case of making the most of what is here already.

Just get a clan of like 50-60 Members, go take over a town and do what you just said, would be epic on a grand scale, but hard to manage and sort Plus there would be zombies all the time xD

There's loads of side projects you can get involved with if you get bored waiting for the finished game. I'm setting up a medical supply route for the Wasteland Meds at the moment. There's "Fort Friendly" the "Freeloaders" or if slaughtering people is more your cup of tea then there mercenary groups you can join. Until we have more tools (bases/electricity ect.) it's just a case of making the most of what is here already.

Agree'd i will look around for sure :D

Off-topic:

Do you remember...

..Dayz radio? :)

haha nah man, the only radio i used to listen to was mmoradio or everadio and when mmoradio got closed I just gave up and made my own playlists xD

• Like 1

Theres people doing exactly that on various servers, just search the threads. Fort friendly managed to keep a camp defended on the edge of Cherno for a few days and are currently working on a more secure location. I've seen other similar projects too. Also, theres nothing stopping you from doing it yourself. Start a thread, tell everyone the location and off you go.

I do run around with a group.

If our group wants to secure and set up an area, that is our choice. If we choose not to or if I choose to run around as an individual that should be fine too.

Creating faction areas is just an artificial game mechanic that forces players into a certain play style or region. Plenty of other games out there like that already and I don't play any of them for a reason.

• Like 1

Bad idea.

Then you believe the following is a good idea:

Zombies are infinite despite a town's population

Survivors would never want to establish society once again

Those are bad ideas.

I have to disagree with you.

Edited by evoxtom
  • Like 1

I really hope this is the direction Rocket is wanting to take the experience of this mod (or in the standalone). Having points to fight over and hold/control gives another possible means of player interaction and cooperation.

It would be nice ideally to even be able to build your own structures/towns that players could work together to build.

Then you believe the following is a good idea:

Zombies are infinite despite a town's population

Survivors would never want to establish society once again

Those are bad ideas.

I have to disagree with you.

That is not what I said at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

Establishing society again is great, if a group or enough players can get together to do that (we saw how well that worked with the church service attempt on Sunday LOL). It should be player created and spontaneous, likely different on many servers.

But NOT a game mechanic. If another bunch of players wants to tear down the new safe zone or civilized town, by all means great.

Faction zones should never be in DayZ. That would be anti-sandbox/simulator/social experiment.

Everything that effects HOW players interact with each other or organize themselves should be player based in game, not an artificial construct.

Population of zombies I've never had a problem with. Think of the population of a town and the surrounding environs of a place like Chernogorsk for example. There will be thousands of people who might be infected. The fact that you only come across a few dozen at a time means the game is being nice to you.

Edited by Slyder73
  • Like 1