Hysterics

Seriously this is getting stupid.. Three hours and not a single weapon?

Ill be honest, I was pissed I was like " i dropped 30 bucks for this " but I really sat down and read the forums and guess what....Within 30 mins I have chem lights, tent, wood, crossbow (which I traded for a shotgun) pepsi cans etc....its called reading and researching. Trust me I expect to die soon but I am just getting the hang of the game and its going good...Oh did I mention I was playing at night with near ZERO visability.

I went 4 hours last night not finding a gun, except one pistol which was floating above me in the air so I couldn't grab it. I also ended up at the NE airfield randomly with no weapons in any building there or in Krasnostav. It was still fun as hell though :D

Who needs a gun when you have an Axe.

I have killed 22 Zombies with the Axe, I have a Colt .45 never fired it though.

I came across a M1014 yesterday, but preferred to leave it in the Dear-Stand and kept my Axe equipped.

You can head-shot a Zombie up on the Dear-Stand, if you crouch. I was spotted by a Zombie when crawling up the ladder, and he would not leave, so instead of a bullet, from the M1014, or Colt .45, he got a swift bash in the face from my trusty Axe.

The Axe has a good range, and if you lie on the gorund the Zombies are easier to kill

Who needs a gun when you have an Axe.

I have killed 22 Zombies with the Axe, I have a Colt .45 never fired it though.

I came across a M1014 yesterday, but preferred to leave it in the Dear-Stand and kept my Axe equipped.

You can head-shot a Zombie up on the Dear-Stand, if you crouch. I was spotted by a Zombie when crawling up the ladder, and he would not leave, so instead of a bullet, from the M1014, or Colt .45, he got a swift bash in the face from my trusty Axe.

The Axe has a good range, and if you lie on the gorund the Zombies are easier to kill

Yeah, I had an Axe too. that's about the only weapon I could find, they were everywhere.

Anything else to complain about on a free, unfinished mod?

Yea I bought ARMA 2 because it's awesome............. Me and the other 90% of the people who bought arma did so for DAyz

Hysterics; If you take the time and read though the new player forums there will be several pages of similar stories like your's, with responses and links to places that can help you.

Loot is random, it can take up to 10 minutes to fully spawn in a location depending on how desynched you are from a server.

To get rid of zombies travel through buildings with a front and back door.

Hatchets are AWESOME, don't overlook them.

Zeds are glitchy, Rocket (the creator of the mod knows this, and so would you if you've read the forums).

Welcome to DayZ, don't get attached to your gear. Eat and drink when blinking :)

I cant walk anywhere in this game for tripping over dozens of fucking guns, they're everywhere. Last barn I went into had no less that 6 lee enfields and a double barrelled. If you cant find a gun within 15 minutes of spawn then you're just not looking in the right places.

Personnally, I'm half-way lucky and half-way unlucky.

- I have find tons of ammos (got my backpack full) of all kinds.

- I have find a hunting knife and have passed near tons of animals ready to get cooked.

- I have find some smoke grenades (great thing to take the attention of zombies)

- Found out that zombies are easy to evade if you do some swimming than running while they are still bathing. :P

(They might run faster, but they don't swim faster. Run to the water, start swimming into the ocean and wait for them to gets in the water enought to start the swimming state. Then move away in the direction of the shore and run away.)

I haven't found :

- A single weapon to be used (so I can't even kill the animals for food or kill zombies for loot)

- Any food or drink. I'm about to die from thirst

- Another player (while being on a couple of 30-50 filled servers)

Been playing for about 2 hours and half, visited 2 small towns (towns that are on a single road) and 3 medium towns (3 roads or building or more)

Continuity, I think it's maybe servers or the pure randomness of life. The other night, every single barn or shed I entered had four, five or six hatchets in them. Of course, NOW I can't find one! <_< Same happened yesterday with backpacks. I was falling over them and couldn't find a can of bean.

This game certainly depends a lot on luck of the draw. Some days, everywhere I go there's a gun to be had. Other days, I'm lucky to find a hatchet. Last night I'd just respawned and was desperate for a weapon, climbed up into a hunting stand, and found nothing but a coyote pack, the one that you start with. Many obscenities were uttered.

Barns, hunting stands, and fire stations are where it's at to find weaponry. The long open ended buildings that have cattle stalls in them can be good too. Larger towns generally make it easier to find them, but the risk of being shot is far higher. They're out there, you just need a little luck on your side.

First of all, I did watch a tutorial video, linked from the main website, where the guy said "all loot is random" he didn't explain that certain buildings always have a higher percentage of loot, which, in my opinion, ISN'T FUCKING RANDOM. I've never played a game of this style that doesn't have some form of Melee. When I first started up I thought my keybinds were broken, I didn't even know whether I'd be able to shoot if I DID find a weapon. I actually did read a couple tutorials, nothing of this is mentioned because after you've played for awhile it's just a given. Thanks though. I also didn't realize how fucking retarded zombies were, sorry for having high fucking expectations. I thought maybe ya know, they wouldn't be ridiculously stupid, and ya know, might figure out that things just don't disappear into a separate dimension when they jump through a fucking bush. Sorry. I guess I should have realized how fucking stupid and low quality that scripting was. My bad.

Also, I find it fucking ridiculously hilarious how a single zombie can block staircases. As if I'd just stand there and let the thing smash on me rather than pushing through it to get by. Awesome game mechanics, again, you're all right, I'm a complete fucking noob because I didn't realize how terrible the coding of the -original- game was, on top of how poorly implemented the tutorials are for this mod. Honestly, I'm having a bit of fun now, I've figured most things out, using the cheat maps... Abusing the poor game mechanics... Yeah... Well I spent 30$ on Arma I'm going to at least get something out of it.

But seriously, you're all dicks. Edit: Except Zap.

It's random in groups. You wouldn't expect to see a lot of military grade rifles in a supermarket would you? How about blood bags in a Pub?

Hatchets and crowbars are melee last time I checked.

The controls are a bit wonky at first, but they'll feel natural to you fairly quickly.

So you expect zombies to be hunting geniuses? Personally I think it's amazing they'd be able to see and hear at all after being brought back from the dead, rage virus, what have you. And they don't just go "well, he's gone, time to head back.", no, they go into search mode and walk around near your last know direction, and vision and sound detection are heightened.

Everything else, 3 year old game, and Alpha phase mod my friend, alpha phase.

Edited by HerrJon

You will learn to check certain spots in towns, cities, barns where you know there is a good chance on finding a weapon.

Ok even after reading the forums a bit, and a new player guide, I had no clue you could use a hatchet as a weapon, I would assume that if you picked up a hatchet while not holding a gun, it would equip it as a weapon. I am pretty damn sure I even tried going into my inventory and clicking to get it as a weapon... Might be wrong there. I think the first time I found one I was stil confused about there being no natural melee attacks, can't use your fists or even shove a zombie close range when you're in a narrow hallway or going down stairs ( Which is honestly one of my biggest beefs, I've died three times now simply because a single zombie blocked me in a dead end corridor. There's no skill or lack of skill or noobiness there, you take a wrong turn not knowing every inch of every building, and end up getting blocked in, if you have no weapons you're dead plain and simple. There's on building that I've seen a few times, like a low value industrial shed I think, has stairways to a second level, but no floor on the second level just a walkway along the inside edge of the building raised up a floor, If you walk up those stairs with zombies following you, you're dead. They're too narrow to backtrack, with zombies behind you, as their bodies simply block you from moving past them. It's super lame, and although I've learned to avoid that building/stairs there are other similar area's all over the place.

Also you guys, call me a noob all you want, but it makes zero sense for zombies to get confused when you walk inside of buildings. Sure it's easy to get away from them, but if you haven't been told that the AI is super glitchy and rather dumb then you would just assume that they would continue after you.... Same deal with jumping into small bushes. It doesn't make any sense but you guys all act like anyone who doesn't know that, or rather, any new player who doesn't RISK THEIR LIVES JUMPING ON TO THE GROUND FOR NO GIVEN REASON is a complete tard. Just wait one damned second, as a new player, with no clue how the game mechanics work, think about it, when being chased by rather fast zombies, going into the fetal position on the ground seems more like a suicide notion than anything else. Even after I was told on these forums, I didn't try it right away because I had a weapon at that point, I waited until I died again and then started practicing it, and it seems like 50% of the time I can evade zombies by simply pressing Z as you run through a bush. The other half of the time you get nailed at least two or three times before you can start running again. Pretty lame considering you can start to bleed or have bones broken this way. Maybe I just need to practice more, but yeahhh..

Also, when it comes down to respawning, and taking all that time to reload the game, why can't you people consider that dying sucks, and that as a new player you don't feel like toying around with game mechanics when there's a good chance it will kill you and waste a lot of your time... You try and find something solid that you can rely on, rather than something flakey that -might- work.

Oh and as far as looking in the wrong places go, when you're new, and unaware of how items spawn, you try and avoid zombies, you look in the easier spots to loot, these easier spots have significantly less loot... That's just how it works.

So yeah, this game is very unfriendly for new players, and when a new player has been bashing their had against the brick wall that is the learning curve of this game, and they make frustrated obviously angry posts, they just get uninformative dipshits like you guys calling them noobs and morons. Which I find hilarious considering how terrible most of the game mechanics are, imo you would have to be a half baked moron to try most of the things that I've been told to do without any prior knowledge... As I've said before, it makes no sense that falling into the fetal position in a bush, when a half dozen zombies are chasing you, saves your life. :P To me that's suicide, but in DayZ it's the difference between living and dying. Cool story bro.

Edited by Hysterics

But just for the record, I am having fun with it now, although I really think that Arma is a terrible platform for this kind of mod. I hate using the scroll wheel to interact with the world, that's a really poor system, and the way you pick items up is very sloppy and hard to manage if you have stuff chasing you.. I'm more disappointed with how badly Arma implements things than I am with DayZ, for a mod it's pretty awesome. I wish some things were more tweaked, but meh.

Well I'm glad your having fun. Yes the learning curve is quite steep, but the difficult needs to be there so the game isn't a bore for people who have played for a week. The game could maybe have an in-game tutorial specifically for Day Z, as far as looting and zombie stuff goes, but again this is in alpha, the primary concern is getting the game to work properly and be enjoyable over, for the lack of a better term, babying newbies. For ARMA II mechanics, not much Rocket can do to make hard changes to the engine. There is talks of a standalone game at some point, but for now just learn the feel of the mouse wheel and the loot system, you'll be flying through Cherno like a maniac in no time.

Here's the logic of running through bushes and sneaking away rather than continue running. I'll be talking in "real life" terms here, as real as zombies can get anyways. Unless you're very unlucky, you've had a chance to observe and experience zombie behavior for at least a little bit, whether it be watching a town from the treeline, or crawling through town avoiding them. Zombies are mindless animalistic people, drawn to loud and fast things that that they somehow know isn't another zombie. They will chase something they see or hear relentlessly, and have enough basic memory to remember where their target last was. If you can make them think you're one place and are able to move somewhere else without making noise, you can lose them. This would at least be the logical conclusion I would come to when dealing with this breed of zombie. Yes there are bugs and pathing issues to iron out, but the principle is still there.

For actual execution in game, it's better to find two bushes or pine trees close to each other. Run through the first and crouch walk or go prone as soon as you hit the second. They'll run though the first because that's where they think you are, then they won't see you and stop running, and being wandering around looking for you again. Typically if you stop in the first they'll bump into you or just see you, but with two you're a good 10-20m away to crawl away from the scene.

There's a reason why Cherno and Airfields are hotspots for player activity, good resources. Cherno has 4 hospitals, high value residential and some medium value military. Airfields, especially NW, have medium to high value military spawns, meaning better guns. If you want the good stuff, you have to put yourself more at risk, otherwise you get by with just an axe and some lucky barn and deerstand finds. It's not the games fault, you're just choosing to not take the risk, which is perfectly reasonable.

The forum can be a been mean to people who complain, but you have to realize how many of these threads pop-up, it gets a bit old. Anyways, best of luck!

Edited by HerrJon

This isn't your everyday shooter, the point is challenge. I spent an hour searching for my first weapon and that was a hatchet I didn't find another weapon for a few days, but the more buildings you search the better idea you have of what different areas will provide. If you want an action packed game full of constant gun fights this isn't the game for you.

Is this a troll thread?

Finding a weapon is extremely easy, maybe this game is just not for you man

Edited by kozzy

Ok even after reading the forums a bit, and a new player guide, I had no clue you could use a hatchet as a weapon, I would assume that if you picked up a hatchet while not holding a gun, it would equip it as a weapon.

It is very easy and if you did read some guides as you said you would relize its very easy to equip a hatchet...

1. Pick hatchet up and it will go into your inventory

2. Press G to open your inventory and then select the axe

3. RIGHT CLICK on the axe and options will come up for you as to what you want to do (Take Off Belt, Use to get firewood,etc..)

Use SHIFT to walk very slow and not attract zombies if you are having trouble picking stuff up because zombies are chasing after you.

Also you can get rid fo zombies fairly easy now to if you run into the forest they get lost quickly. Or you can run into a building and they slow down.

It sounds to me like you need to learn the basics, give it some time and things get alot more easy. Also try and learn what buildings to look for,etc... also learn your surroundings (very important to learn the map and what cities are near each other and what each cities offer) And things become alot easyier

Edited by kozzy

lol learn howto play the game before you bitch about it noob. Learn where weapons you want spawn then go there, find a map food and water and a hatchet after that you can find w/e weapon you like via the dayzDB map online.

I love this game because it eats the weak COD gamer kiddies, dont like tough gtfo and let the real men play.

You talk just like the 'CoD kiddies' you supposedly despise.

• Like 1

You just gotta love when someone create a thread with a title of ,,now its my turn to bitch about this game,, and with a description of ,, this game sucks,i hate it,i wasted so much money on this shit ...,, and it instantly gets popular and get over 50 reply's.

While there is plenty of good hreads with a valid points about improving this game got like 3 replys.

Ohhh the irony....

Edited by VaultDweller

I feel you pain, I think I survived for 10 hours, about 9 was with no weapon, even though I had the axe, dident know how to arm myself with it. lol

Wish I did when I explored Rog Castle found a few other survivors in there =)

Then found the lee enfield in the deer stand north east of kumyrmna church, killed a few zombies attracted plenty more ran away.

Then alt tab to have a look at the map to get my bearings, tab back in to find You are Dead.....haha (go prone next time)

Next mission is to find a car to repair, I found heaps of spare parts.

Head to cherno/elektro go to firestation, and congratulations you got yourself a AK47, Akm or M410 :)

If there are none go to different server and search that 1