Sign in to follow this  
fosty99

Disconnecting In A Fight

In short' date=' their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc. [/quote']

So why do we allow players to disconnect during a firefight, and go unpunished, even when they admit it many times.

Me and a group of guys were fighting a guy by the name of "Knight Solaire".

He admitted to disconnecting because he was scared, which he thinks is a good reason.

This really discourages to even engage in firefights if cunts can just log out and get away with it.

Why can't admins ban these people?

I believe it's because it is difficult to prove. They would have to be caught doing it, and even still what's to stop people from claiming someone disco'd during a fight. Not to mention I would hate to get banned outright because my connection went out of whack at the wrong moment.

I'm not sure how to go about fixing such a thing, but surely someone has got some bright ideas.

They should be punished somehow. Maybe not a ban straight away, but a big punishment.

My friend engaged 2 bandits and asked many times in the chat that are they friendly and if they will not answer he will open fire. I think he asked that 3 times and when he opened fire, surprise surprise both of them DC'ed the same time.

I'm guilty of this. However I don't see it being a big issue... Firstly no one has ever done this to simply because I make sure I kill them quickly, if you can't do that I'd say you don't deserve the kill. Also I will continue doing this till it's banned or punishable simply because 1. I'm a c**t and 2. I don't want to lose hour and hours of work to some asshole who can't even aim.

:)

What's the point of grabbing a silenced M4 and only logging in to feed your character?

I've gone through multiple times, gotten multiple DMR's and M4's and Kobra's. Gear happens, you'll always be able to find something else.

My best stories come from the interactions and engagements with other players. I don't always survive them, but when I do it's much more gratifying than staring at the loading screen. =P

That's me though

I don't think there would be any way to enforce banning on this in a fair way, but it's also very clear that people who disconnect on purpose to avoid a fight ruin the gameplay. This is a sandbox experiment where a lot of the emergent gameplay holds only if people do not start exploiting loopholes like this. Server hopping to find loot is along the same vein, although less damaging. The game is supposed to be hard, unforgiving and realistic in some ways.

How is it realistic to be able to magically disappear after someone didn't aim properly at the first shot? If the person initiating the attack is really bad at aiming, then why is the player disconnecting freaking out? Shouldn't he counter attack, unless he's even worse at aiming himself, with no other surviving skill than hitting alt F4. *sigh*

Having said that, if someone comes up with a log that shows that some idiot proudly claimed to have exploited the game by doing this repeatedly, I wouldn't be surprised if Rocket would consider this as a perfectly valid reason for a ban. The only reason why it was considered difficult to take action against these types of players comes from the difficulty to prove that it's not simply due to a network problem - but a chat log with claims from the player proving that it was otherwise has no such ambiguity.

Any type of punishment need a system for it to be fairly distributed, and appealed.

So banning disconnects needs a way to prove that the DC was intentional.

So given the amount of money we pay each time we want to use the mod, how much money and time should be invested in investigating DC claims?

I say develop a long-standing game mechanic that slows disconnect time so we cant instantly disappear

The simple solution here would be to leave the player in for x minutes(Since last firing a weapon or something, preferrably) and make him light up like a flare or something(Both during the day and night) so his position is easily visible.

But I'm sure something like this is already in the works, but not as prioritized as other things.