Sign in to follow this  
bobda

Winchester is a placeholder... but for what?

There's just so many threads about changing the winchester, but the search function showed none about outright replacing it.

In one of the nerf/balance threads, rocket mentioned this

Seriously though' date=' some feedback would be good. Winchester was only ever placeholder.

[/quote']

Now my question is, what is it a placeholder for? I've been thinking about it and have a couple suggestions that could take the place of the winchester.

Now a rifle wouldn't really fit in seeing as the CZ and Enfield already fill that role. A shotgun (a real one) would be a good addition for a medium/short range go to gun.

So with that in mind I suggest the Mossberg 500 20 Gauge

20gauge.jpg

It can hold 8 shots, pellets or slugs, has iron sights,and its quieter than a 12 gauge. Now to keep the other more tactical shotguns in the game a better choice it should do less damage than they do. It holds more rounds than the CZ and Enfield, and fires faster, making it a practical weapon to have.

My other idea is a pistol caliber carbine. There are a lot to choose from, and I'll use this as an example. Uzi UC-9 Carbine

RIFLE-UZI-rt-D.jpg

It fires 9mm and I think a magazine system like the PDW (can use m9, g15, and PDW mags) would be great. Now spawning with the 32 round mags would be a little much, so if they came with 15 round mags it would be on par with the winchester as it stands now. Finding higher cap mags would be just as hard as finding them for the PDW/MP5 is right now.

Using 9mm this weapon should be fairly quiet, but also pretty weak. Being semi automatic the fire rate would be the best out of all the starter weapons with the trade off of being the weakest.

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Any other suggestions would be great too.

Some sort of hunting shotgun I would hope. Something you'd expect villages and farmers to normally have laying around. So I think that removes the UZI from the list at least as far as how common or uncommon he might make what ever replaces the Winchester.

I understood rocket's comment as meaning it was a placeholder for a low-teir shotgun.

In which case something like the Mossberg 20 gauge could be a good replacement.

I'm guessing it's temporary because it's not a real weapon, like every other firearm in the game. I think I remember hearing they tossed the idea around, and someone made it into a shotgun rather than the .44 Henry rifle that it is. But at the time they needed weapons so they just threw it in with the intentions of either replacing it, or making it what it actually is.

I could be talking out of my ass though, as i can't seem to find anything to back this up.

I'm guessing it's temporary because it's not a real weapon' date=' like every other firearm in the game. I think I remember hearing they tossed the idea around, and someone made it into a shotgun rather than the .44 Henry rifle that it is. But at the time they needed weapons so they just threw it in with the intentions of either replacing it, or making it what it actually is.

I could be talking out of my ass though, as i can't seem to find anything to back this up.

2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I'm guessing it's temporary because it's not a real weapon' date=' like every other firearm in the game. I think I remember hearing they tossed the idea around, and someone made it into a shotgun rather than the .44 Henry rifle that it is. But at the time they needed weapons so they just threw it in with the intentions of either replacing it, or making it what it actually is.

anigif_not-sure-if-serious-gif-to-be-used-on-forums-22779-1307655858-12.gif

It could also be a placeholder for a model to be made for something like the Winchester 1887, which fires 12 gauge, and is being reproduced by a couple of different companies today.

Ya he's srs lol. I recall something similar.

Okay... you see that red underlined thing in my last post... kinda looks like THIS? That is a link. It brings you to the wiki article for the Winchester Model 1866, where it clearly states that it is chambered in .44 Henry. The game currently has it using 12 gauge. That makes it incorrect. There is no 12 gauge winchester model 1866. Therefor it is not a real gun. Every other firearm in the mod are accurate copies of actual firearms that exist today.

As to the original design mixup, I must have heard it in an interview, as I cant locate anything about it on the forums

I'd like to see the Keltec KSG replace it, and for the record. i'm a gun guy not a MW4 (or witch ever one it's in) guy. I think it would be nice to have 00 buck in one tube and Slugs in the other, could press F to switch from the two and reload them separately.

Would be one hell of a show stopper, thought it might have to be a bit rarer then the 1866 Winchester

or you can do a generic shotgun Rimington 870, or the Russian MP-133k witch holds magazines instead of a tube

Okay... you see that red underlined thing in my last post... kinda looks like THIS? That is a link. It brings you to the wiki article for the Winchester Model 1866' date=' where it clearly states that it is chambered in .44 Henry. The game currently has it using 12 gauge. That makes it incorrect. There is no 12 gauge winchester model 1866. Therefor it is not a real gun. Every other firearm in the mod are accurate copies of actual firearms that exist today.

As to the original design mixup, I must have heard it in an interview, as I cant locate anything about it on the forums

[/quote']

I'm guessing it's temporary because it's not a real weapon' date=' like every other firearm in the game.[/quote'] The weapon is very real however the ammunition it uses in the game is incorrect.

I guess you think the m4 and m16 are not real either?

The weapon is very real however the ammunition it uses in the game is incorrect.

I guess you think the m4 and m16 are not real either?

If they were listed as an m4/m16 and shot 12 gauge, then yes I would say they were not real. But as it is they fire 5.56, as they do in real life.

What he's saying is that a Winchester 1866 12gauge shotgun is not a real weapon. Not that there was never a Winchester 1866. Sarcasm gets us nowhere.

The KSG would probably be too good. It would need to be a basic low-tier kind of shotgun to replace it.

There is already a Remington 870 in the game but it's currently tied to military spawns as mid-tier rarity.

I really think just changing the model of winchester is the go. Take it from the 1866 rifle to the 1887 shotgun.

To get back to the original intention of this thread, does anyone have any suggestions for a low tier gun that could possibly replace the winchester, or be added to the the current holy trinity?

One possible addition is the Ruger 10/22

ruger-10221.jpg

Fires .22, extremely quiet, but very weak. Very fast firing rate with low recoil. One of the most popular .22 rifles in the world, making it plentiful. Could be useful for hunting and zombies, being the quietest gun in the game only louder than the suppressed weapons. (and obviously the crossbow)

The KSG would probably be too good. It would need to be a basic low-tier kind of shotgun to replace it.

Yeah, I figured as much by the end of the post but it would be fun as shit to have!

if the 870 is a mid-grade shotgun i don't know what could be low grade

not saying the 870 sucks, it's just a good representative of every shotgun and it seems like they only get better from there

could use the Taurus Judge, a revolver chambered in .410 shells, but it can also use .45 bullets

I really think if it is to be replaced it needs to be a low-tier shotgun. I really like the idea of taking the Winchest 1887 shotgun as a replacement.

If they could reposition the 870 for low-tier (reduce damage, remove attachments, increase spawn rate) then they could use both the 1014 and the KSG as high-tier military weaponry and ignore the mid-tier for shotguns.

I say this because, in my experience, it is a particular kind of person that enjoys shotguns in this mod, so give them 2 strong high-end options, instead of a 1-1-1 approach. Also I really don't think the m1014 should be mid-tier weaponry.

Saiga(lots of different models) or Vepr Molot maybe? I think it fits good because both of guns are made in Russia and, therefore, it is not strange that they are found in Chernarus. Although some of modifications of this guns are too AK-like looking, that will confuse many players.

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I love the winchester, but the content of it is placeholder. I.e. the ammo, the sounds, etc...

Much work remains on it and I think it will be quite a different weapon.

I would love, LOVE, LOVE! to see the 10/22. spec if it had magazines that where easy to find.. MMMM baby.

you still should add it, even if your not replacing it with the Winchester ;)

A realistic copy of the winchester would be awesome. I just assumed "placeholder" meant that it would be replaced somewhere down the line.

Now I'd love to ask if it will be the 1866 accurately represented or another model that actually is a lever action shotgun. But I think I'd rather wait and be surprised when it comes out.

Thanks for the quick reply rocket.

Currently I think it's very well balanced, so I hope that by "the ammo, the sounds, etc..." rocket doesn't mean to change the volume of the noise and the one shot zombie stopping power.

I think its pretty clear that the Winchester is a placeholder for "The Winchester."

Winchester_Model_1894.jpg