Nasuko

Punching or Flashlight for a Starting Weapon

I see a lot of threads about people wanting a starting weapon and whatnot. Well, why not have a 1-slot item that would act as a primary weapon called "Gloves". You can equip the "gloves" and they would allow you to swing at zombies for...lets say 25% of the damage that a crowbar would do. While this would allow you to do SOME kind of damage to zombies if you had to, it's not something you'd want to keep for very long.

If you didn't want to go through all the trouble of making a new weapon, we could even use the Flashlight we start with as a melee weapon. Same damage as I had suggested for the gloves. Not quite decent, but certainly a welcomed choice if the alternative is nothing.

I feel this would keep the realism we have in the game while also settling most of the trouble some players are having at the start.

If anyone out there agrees, would like to see something similar but different, or disagrees with my suggestion, please feel free to express it in a creative manner for us all to discuss. :)

I see a lot of threads about people wanting a starting weapon and whatnot. Well, why not have a 1-slot item that would act as a primary weapon called "Gloves". You can equip the "gloves" and they would allow you to swing at zombies for...lets say 25% of the damage that a crowbar would do. While this would allow you to do SOME kind of damage to zombies if you had to, it's not something you'd want to keep for very long.

If you didn't want to go through all the trouble of making a new weapon, we could even use the Flashlight we start with as a melee weapon. Same damage as I had suggested for the gloves. Not quite decent, but certainly a welcomed choice if the alternative is nothing.

I feel this would keep the realism we have in the game while also settling most of the trouble some players are having at the start.

If anyone out there agrees, would like to see something similar but different, or disagrees with my suggestion, please feel free to express it in a creative manner for us all to discuss. :)

He (Rocket) did mention something along these lines http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52509-hall-rocket-deans-answers-on-suggestions/

Well you can actually do more damage by swinging your stock into someones face than by hitting them with your fists, so why not just make a button or firing mode for every weapon where you can melee with it? And also have the axe or a form of melee weapon take the place of a secondary or third weapon...

why it so easy to find guns

I personally don't have a problem finding a weapon. However some people who are either new, find it hard to grasp, or don't like starting with nothing have been posting threads about having a starting pistol or something. I don't like the idea of starting with a pistol from the very beginning. I like it difficult. :) I've only been playing a week and I love the difficulty. I was saddened that guns were made weaker, though. Pistols are, for the most part, useless unless you get a headshot these days. I certainly hope no one takes out sniper rifles and the like. I love the idea of running along with the chance I could get blown away. Heck, it's almost happened on a few occasions. XD Needless to say, when I have something really good, I don't wander into open fields. I call that an attempt at suicide.

@Gunnār and hishnik: That's good to hear. :) Even if it's just a push, that should help people out a fair bit and still runs of the risk of getting smacked.

25% of a crowbar is like 400 damage lol. A weapon that could temporarily disable zombies would be much more useful

For bashing/ stun, using primary's as melee etc I was thinking:

1a) A generic melee attack button provided you have a weapon or suitable object in your hand. If your being chased by a Zed and run out of ammo for your Shotgun/Rifle etc would you give up? No, you'd start swinging the butt like a club and smash the Zed's skull in. The animation for each weapon type could be unique too which would be an awesome touch. i.e Pistol whip to the head, rifle butt to the chest, swinging the shotgun like a baseball bat etc. Some weapons such as the mp5/uzi wouldn't be much use this way though i'd think. Maybe even add in a feature that you could potentially break your weapon by doing so.

It'd be a last resort option. scenario: Being chased by one zed, low health, 'fuck it!' *turns round and smashes zombie*. 'aww i've trashed my rifle, but at least i'm alive.'

1b) It would be a nice feature if you could kinda stun with the Melee attack to buy time as well. So instead of just stopping dead to swap primary to secondary (or vice versa), Melee bash the zed with the butt of rifle/ pistol whip, swap to alternative weapon and boom!

It could also act as a 'get-away move', bash the zombie/ knock it to the ground and gain some distance from it whilst it recovers.

2) Also you should be able to perform a running melee attack. Ever swung a bat whilst running at a target? If anything it should be more powerful but take longer to recover from or risk throwing yourself off balance.

3) If your just starting out with your bare hands and got attacked by a Zed at the very least you'd attempt to shove the thing on it's ass by pushing it away. 2hands, push the zed to the ground and make your escape whilst it recovers (still useless against being chased by 2+ zeds but could save your life solo zed) The attack could have a risk factor so if you attempt to shove the zed but miss you'd stumble and actually make yourself more vulnerable.

Edited by CQ2

What about if you run into a zombie you can knock the zombie over? Punching or pushing could be useful, it isn't that hard to find a weapon I suppose BUT, in real life you'd be able to use anything as a weapon (Hands, feet, swinging your backpack, charging and pushing them over etc etc), or maybe even being able to use the flashlight to smack zombies.