Tsyn

Who the fuck?

Who in their right mind would welcome a completely unrealistic damage nerf on a military simulator? Where in the world does it take 3 rounds from an AK in the chest to kill someone?

The point I'm trying to make, is that I don't believe any DayZ player welcomes this update. The real question is whether or not this will be addressed by BI or Rocket. I'm not raging because I do realize that the devs of DayZ don't have a whole lot of say to my knowledge about the beta updates.

Anyways, figured I'd rage about the damage nerfs for the shits n' giggles. I'd like to see what the rest of you guys think.

• Like 4

When under the effects of adrenaline, a real person can survive multiple gunshots. 10 and even more.

As long as his heart is still beating, he has a good chance of surviving.

In fact, even headshots aren't always lethal.

Edited by krtshv

DayZ Devs have no control over the weapon nerfs, This patch affected the whole of arma. Every mod, every mission, every player that logs into ArmA.

It was something done by BI. Why they would do it in a simulator is beyond me. Bigger rounds do bigger damage..

I haven't seen any official comment on this yet so I dunno what they are thinking. I'm not going to rage about it, but it sure doesn't make much sense to me.

Where in the world does it take 3 rounds from an AK in the chest to kill someone?

This. Over, and over again.

A .45 in real life is a man stopper. In Dayz it just makes a lot of noise.

Without an AR your pretty well fucked (and even then you better have lots of ammo).

Edited by MadMax

I'm not truly well versed in ballistics but...

I remember something about the Vietnam War where guns had their calibers redone so they would actually wound instead of kill. The idea behind this was that wounded soldiers were a burden to the enemy, so they were preferable to dead ones.

When you think about it, it didn't work that well for the americans...

When under the effects of adrenaline, a real person can survive multiple gunshots. 10 and even more.

Adrenaline can only do so much. A shot to the heart that destroys it's ability to function or the same for the brain, will never be overcome by adrenaline. Yes people survive or continue to fight in cases after being hit by large rounds but there are more factors than writing it off as adrenaline. Position of impact, bullet lodging, exiting, etc. Even before sometimes a person didn't drop from 2 akm rounds depending on where you hit them.

However, I've yet to hear of anyone shrugging off a 7.62 round.. to the brain. The kinetic impact would at very least incapacitate someone.. especially considering we have baseball caps as protection in the game.

• Like 1

This. Over, and over again.

As long as your heart is still beating when you get medical treatment, you have a 95% chance of surviving gunshots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/nyregion/03shot.html?_r=1

The person in the above link was shot 20 times in close range with a rifle, and he lived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Benavidez

^ Survived 37 separate bayonet, bullet and other wounds.

In fact, even getting stabbed in the heart still means you have a 1-in-3 survival chance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9715197

Just because you see people fall down and die in the movies from a single shot, doesn't mean that happens in real life. Sure, a single bullet can kill you, but you have a pretty good damn chance of survival.

Stop watching movies and learn more about the resilience of the human body.

Edited by krtshv
  • Like 1

You watch too many movies. Adrenaline doesn't turn you into beast mode. There has been accounts of large men hopped up on PCP able to take multiple gunshots but in real life what you're talking is non-sense. 1 gun shot to the torso area is easily fatal considering it depressurizes your thoracic cavity making it very difficult to breathe. Sure your heart is pumping blood but your lungs are collapsing.

Also most of your "accounts" have those people being saved in a hospital. NOT HAPPENING in an Apocalypse.

Edited by osiriszoran
  • Like 3

As long as your heart is still beating when you get medical treatment, you have a 95% chance of surviving gunshots.

http://www.nytimes.c...3shot.html?_r=1

The person in the above link was shot 20 times in close range with a rifle, and he lived.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Roy_Benavidez

^ Survived 37 separate bayonet, bullet and other wounds.

In fact, even getting stabbed in the heart still means you have a 1-in-3 survival chance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9715197

Just because you see people fall down and die in the movies from a single shot, doesn't mean that happens in real life. Sure, a single bullet can kill you, but you have a pretty good damn chance of survival.

Stop watching movies and learn more about the resilience of the human body.

You are just pointing out exceptions to the rule. As I said before, there are plenty of other factors to take into account. People can get riddled with bullets and live, depending on where they get hit and the treatment time after the fact. sometimes in this game before the nerf.. you could take a few rounds, but now every time it takes a bunch to kill with guns that should have the stopping power..

• Like 1

You watch too many movies. Adrenaline doesn't turn you into beast mode. There has been accounts of large men hopped up on PCP able to take multiple gunshots but in real life what you're talking is non-sense. 1 gun shot to the torso area is easily fatal considering it depressurizes your thoracic cavity making it very difficult to breathe. Sure your heart is pumping blood but your lungs are collapsing.

View the links I just posted.

Getting shot is not lethal in most cases. I believe you are the one to watch too many movies, believing that a single bullet can take you down so easily.

You are just pointing out exceptions to the rule. As I said before, there are plenty of other factors to take into account. People can get riddled with bullets and live, depending on where they get hit and the treatment time after the fact. sometimes in this game before the nerf.. you could take a few rounds, but now every time it takes a bunch to kill with guns that should have the stopping power..

I can post even more people who got shot several times and lived.

Sure, it depends on the location of the impact, but as long as your heart is still beating, you have a good chance of surviving.

Edited by krtshv

This a million times.

This a million times.

Arguments vs proof.

I love this fight.

I'm not truly well versed in ballistics but...

I remember something about the Vietnam War where guns had their calibers redone so they would actually wound instead of kill. The idea behind this was that wounded soldiers were a burden to the enemy, so they were preferable to dead ones.

When you think about it, it didn't work that well for the americans...

3 million NVA/VC casualties vs 55,000 American. Who really won?

It's true, humans are much more resilient than what we see on the movies.

Take me for example.

I once heard "Whip my Hair" by Willow Smith and I'm still standing here.

@Osirizoran

Oh hell no, I'm not getting into that argument.

Edited by Deathcall
  • Like 1

Getting shot is not lethal in most cases. I believe you are the one to watch too many movies, believing that a single bullet can take you down so easily.

Sure, it depends on the location of the impact, but as long as your heart is still beating, you have a good chance of surviving.

To survive with what? Medical attention, surgery and a ton of luck. Recovery time from just one bullet is generally a long period, let alone 7. You can die with a 22 round in the leg in real life, this is stating the fact of getting an artery blown and bleeding out. The fact of the matter is, in most cases 1 good shot anywhere vital will put you out of a fight. It may not kill you right away but you are going down. Arma did a good job of simulating this. Now you can take 5 45 rounds to the chest and just jog away happily. This is the problem.

Arguments vs proof.

I love this fight.

Ok will take you out into the forest during a zombie apocalypse shoot you in non-vital areas and see how long you survive or how much you can accomplish. Good luck not bleeding out or choking to death on your own blood.

Or dying from infection.

Your stories are proof that with medical attention you can survive a gun shot wound to a critical location.

No offence if if I shot you with a .22 round your going to fall to the ground like a sack of spuds and go into shock, whilst what you say has and does happen it is rare especially being shot in the head 99.5% of the time your dead. A single round will incapacitate most people including trained soldiers, an AK47 to the leg or arm will tear you up.

I was shot in the leg with a .177 air rifle at close range trust me whilst it did not hurt straight away or even bleed as it went through muscle I found it hard to walk after a few minutes as the trauma caught up with me.

I am a climbing lumberjack and have seen many blunt force injuries and cuts with chainsaws none are pretty and the effectiveness of the individual after the first few minutes once shock kicks in is dramatically reduced. I mean shit man I crushed the tip of my finger in the tree I managed to get myself down but it rendered my hand useless now try to go one handed! just undoing your trousers to take a leak is hard it takes time to adjust.

Just trying to say this super soldier Hollywood stuff is BS. We are just sacks of flesh and to see it torn apart in the battlefield, work or just in your leisure time has a profound effect.

But this is just a game and has no bearing on real life, and I as yet have not had a chance to play the new update so cannot comment on the Nerf but some things sound retarded.

3 million NVA/VC casualties vs 55,000 American. Who really won?

Vietnam won. Or do you play too many video games and think a Kill:Death Ratio = Winning?

Edited by The_Man

Arguments vs proof.

I love this fight.

So because you posted a couple examples of the exceptions.. you know everything? Millions of people die from guns every year. Get a statistical average from the WHO on location of impact and mortality in those cases. IE: Headshot and heart penetration. Caliber range and other factors, then claim you "win the fight".

Vietnam won. Or do you play too many video games and think a Kill:Death Ratio = Winning?

The question was in regards to weapon technology. Not political victory.

Arguments vs proof.

I love this fight.

Your proof is what you learnd of the Internet? Can you base any of what you know to something you,ve experienced in real life?

I agree it's amazing the trauma a body can survive but reading these accounts of amazing human survival only make up a small percentage you never read about the 95% who die from very little.

I heard of a cutter in the states who fell onto the stump of a tree he just cut down the splinter hit the artery in his inner thigh he bleed to death in minutes.

I wish people were as hard to kill as krtshv implies; there probably wouldn't even be war anymore. It wouldn't be worth the frustration.

The point is that this is a military simulator and the change was due to the ballistic range that affected ArmA2 and completely affected DayZ in a different way.

If you're trying to argue that this is realistic, then you should dip out of this forum and take your 1/10,000,000 theory to a Philosophy major. Nobody on this forum cares about your ridiculous circumstance.

Oh? so bullets don't kill easily? Let me shoot you in the chest with a 7.62x39(Kalishinikov ammunition) and see how long you live.

You're googling to find people who are shot on the street and survived. You're completely missing the point; I'm not asking how many people survived gunshot wounds... I'm asking what idiot welcomes an update to a Military Simulator that turns the game into Call of Duty.

If you like using a full clip of ammunition to kill a single person, by all means, head over to an Arcade Shooter.

Edited by Tsyn