Sign in to follow this  
SwiftEden

Bandits & A**holes?

This original post is just my personal opinion and what I have noticed. (Two 1/2 month veteran)

Bandit

-Well equipped or decently equipped individual with ill-intentions on hunting other players for loot.

-Usually alone or smaller man groups(I've personally seen a ten person group).

-Weapon of choice: Rifle or Sniper

-Has some ethics, some sparring new players without gear like a firearm.

-Some do not kill survivors with lower equipped gear that acknowledge themselves being friendly, (I/E a man with a Winchester, claiming he's friendly.

-Kill to find loot, food, and medical supplies.

Assholes

-Well equipped or decently equipped individual with ill-intentions on hunting other players, for loot or not.

-Usually alone.

-Weapon of choice: Sniper, usually.

-Has no ethics, no matter if you are a new player begging that you are friendly or not.

-Kill's everyone, no matter what, and for mostly loot and personal enjoyment.

-Kill for personal enjoyment, and loot.

Edited by SwiftEden
  • Like 3

You should never use that color of blue again.

It's an eyesore against the black backdrop.

Good points though.

I figure the term bandit comes from the games Survivor/Bandit mechanic and is generally applied to most active PvP players. I'd be willing to call the noob slaying, griefing subset of bandits "assholes", but in my mind, they're still bandits in the context of this game.

I don't know how you came up with all the characteristics for your groups though. To my mind being an asshole in this game means active griefing ie. wiring/tanktrapping coast city buildings, actively hunting for unequipped noobs, exploiting alt+F4 and or combat logging etc...

I am glad I am not an asshole, I do kill lower geared people sometimes though if I am out of food. If I am not I may give them it instead.

I was murdered at the NWAF yesterday by a bandit I couldn't even see. I was simply minding my own business, trying to grab some gear then gtfo, had to crawl on my belly through a hoard of Z's because I had no desire for the aggro - then BANG, I'm dead.

The bandit who did it is probably pretty chuffed with themselves, but sometimes I just don't understand the bandit mentality. He could see me, and I couldn't see him. The gunshot was very loud so he was obviously close - why not do something more interesting like inform me he can see me and that if I move one bit more he'll shoot me? Get me to drop my rifle and move along? Or perhaps drop my weapon and approach their position? I'd love it if something like this happened.

You know - just something different from blowing away a survivor who has zero murders/bandit kills to his name? Anyway, my point is that you might think you don't come under the asshole category, and I'll admit that the category you listed are indeed worse than your 'bandit' criteria. However, bandits are assholes by default - surely you realise this?. You all shoot on sight without a damn about the other players intentions, purely in order to get whatever they are carrying (potentially garbage) and ultimately you create more bandits.

Just saying, bandits are assholes. The degree of which can vary, but you're all still assholes to any genuine survivors that never fire without self-preservative reasons. :)

i kill people for sport. that being said, i do have standards. their is simply no thrill to killing unarmed people. but o nce they see me, they need to die. whys that? im paranoid and my buddy let a noob live and the noob looted his pack and shot im with his own m16. im sorry but if your looking at me your my primary target regardless of what you have

The gunshot was very loud so he was obviously close - why not do something more interesting like inform me he can see me and that if I move one bit more he'll shoot me? Get me to drop my rifle and move along? Or perhaps drop my weapon and approach their position? I'd love it if something like this happened.

However, bandits are assholes by default - surely you realise this?. You all shoot on sight without a damn about the other players intentions, purely in order to get whatever they are carrying (potentially garbage) and ultimately you create more bandits.

Just saying, bandits are assholes. The degree of which can vary, but you're all still assholes to any genuine survivors that never fire without self-preservative reasons. :)

This game doesn't come with enough tools for roleplaying a robbery. Had the sniper given away his position, he would have been open to a lucky full auto burst or more likely an Alt+F4. Disconnecting when caught in a bad position happens really really much. He had no way of knowing you were in the one percent of roleplaying players who wants to use the engine for something it clearly isn't meant for...

Also, who are you to tell that sniper (or any other type of players) how they should play the game? If you want to roleplay, does it mean everyone else must play your game with you, whether they like it or not? At least for me, PvP is the most interesting aspect of the game, and being based on a tactical simulator, the game offers pretty good tools for PvP. Roleplaying? No thank you, I'll rather have my roleplaying experiences on the tabletop with pen and paper.

Btw. I wouldn't mind at all to see better roleplaying interaction tools and maybe sub-mod-servers that allow for more roleplay interaction. I don't know if splitting the sandbox into several differently flavoured ones would be a good thing in the long run, but right now at least a lot of the whine regarding the game comes from the collision of different playing styles.

EDIT: I would also like to see military grade weapons become rarer and surviving zombies much more difficult. Right now the survival in the game is laughably easy and the only danger the zombies present is that of being an advance warning system for players. Without the threat of other players the survival would be guaranteed. But hey, it is alpha and will get better ;)

Edited by Squirreli
  • Like 1

"Has no ethics, no matter if you are a new player begging that you are friendly or not."

A murderer is a murderer. There is nothing ethical about it. You can't compare a bandit to an 'asshole' because if you take away their titles, they are both murderers what ever way you look at it.

If I was a murderer in real life and I just killed old men, but spared old women... I am still an 'asshole' murderer.

One thing.

Bandits don't ever travel in groups of just 3. We're in a group of 8 guys now. 4 snipers, 4 "assault"-guys. We build 4 teams a 2 guys and split ourself up. If we spot a guy, hes getting a bullet in his head. Don't matter if friendly or not, because we're too far away with our .50 cal snipers. If we hit em and kill em, the 4 "assault"-guys heading to his body to take the stuff (especially food and drink for the snipers, they have ghillies and never leave the forest). While they heading for the dead body all 4 snipers are paying attention that the scavengers don't get killed -> if another one comes, hes got a bullet too.

That's not assholish or anything, it's just a super organized team.

• Like 3

I've been playing for awhile and i've noticed a lot more assholes than bandits. I'm cool with being shot, it's part of the game. I'm not cool with assholes shooting new spawns or unarmed players after they have declared friendly. A incident last night, I was unarmed, saw a guy crouching in the bushes, I asked him in Chat and in VOIP that I was friendly and if he needed assistance/team up. He then ran up to me clearly seeing I was unarmed and shot me with his Lee Enfeild. He didn't even loot my body, I had a map, compass, water, military flashlight, a bunch of nice things besides a weapon. This has happened more than once, people just seeing someone and "ZOMG CALL OF DUTY MUST KILL NAO". I've only once met someone that actually wanted to help people instead of just randomely kill them for no reason. Sure, if we are both looting a town and I run across you, and you have a weapon pointed at me and I have a weapon, yeah I'll probably shoot you. But I will not EVER kill someone unarmed, or after they have declared friendly.

One thing.

Bandits don't ever travel in groups of just 3. We're in a group of 8 guys now. 4 snipers, 4 "assault"-guys. We build 4 teams a 2 guys and split ourself up. If we spot a guy, hes getting a bullet in his head. Don't matter if friendly or not, because we're too far away with our .50 cal snipers. If we hit em and kill em, the 4 "assault"-guys heading to his body to take the stuff (especially food and drink for the snipers, they have ghillies and never leave the forest). While they heading for the dead body all 4 snipers are paying attention that the scavengers don't get killed -> if another one comes, hes got a bullet too.

I completely agree. While your setup is clearly advanced, and respect to you for doing it, if one of your snipers in their suit spotted an unarmed guy running in their direction I am sure they wouldnt hesitate to down him/her. The OP suggests that, that would be being an 'asshole' but to me thats just wrong place at the wrong time. How would your guy know if he had a pistol in his pack or not?

Edited by EvilPerl
  • Like 2

I don't really think a killer is always an asshole. It's simply a gameplay choice, somepeople enjoy the "hunting" game. Also, it's quite a risk to let a player, even if unarmed, live when you're a bandit and have gear that he might desire and even try to take by force as soon as he gets a weapon.

It's about survival, not about being a bad guy, a jerk, or anything like that.

• Like 1

This game doesn't come with enough tools for roleplaying a robbery. Had the sniper given away his position, he would have been open to a lucky full auto burst or more likely an Alt+F4. Disconnecting when caught in a bad position happens really really much. He had no way of knowing you were in the one percent of roleplaying players who wants to use the engine for something it clearly isn't meant for...

Also, who are you to tell that sniper (or any other type of players) how they should play the game? If you want to roleplay, does it mean everyone else must play your game with you, whether they like it or not? At least for me, PvP is the most interesting aspect of the game, and being based on a tactical simulator, the game offers pretty good tools for PvP. Roleplaying? No thank you, I'll rather have my roleplaying experiences on the tabletop with pen and paper.

Btw. I wouldn't mind at all to see better roleplaying interaction tools and maybe sub-mod-servers that allow for more roleplay interaction. I don't know if splitting the sandbox into several differently flavoured ones would be a good thing in the long run, but right now at least a lot of the whine regarding the game comes from the collision of different playing styles.

EDIT: I would also like to see military grade weapons become rarer and surviving zombies much more difficult. Right now the survival in the game is laughably easy and the only danger the zombies present is that of being an advance warning system for players. Without the threat of other players the survival would be guaranteed. But hey, it is alpha and will get better ;)

As long as alt+F4 exists, you will never find a game where someone cannot quickly bail like this, so to apply it to my suggested scenario and make it sound as if it is specific to Day Z is a bit misleading. He could have missed his shot and then I could have DC'd, you can't use alt+F4 as an excusal for shoot on sight.

I might like to add here that I do not have a problem that the bandit shot me on sight. That's his perogative - and if you read my initial post again you will clearly see that I made no such demand that he gets involved in the 'roleplaying' as you put it. I merely questioned the bandit mentality of shooting immediately, your answer to which seemingly revolves alt+F4 and the games limitations for roleplaying - which by the way, as far as my suggestions went, I don't understand.

'Move another inch and you get shot', is pretty self explanatory. Nothing in game stops me complying with this. Likewise, 'Turn round and head forward slowly with your gun lowered/removed', is likewise as trivial. In fact, the games mechanics probably make this sort of 'roleplaying' easier on the bandit as he can clearly see if I am complying or not. It's not like counterstrike where I can fastswitch guns and bunnyhop out of the way in an instant. Anyway - I didn't tell anyone how to play the game so I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth in future, I only question why does it always have to be shoot on sight? If Alt+F4 is your answer then as I said, this will always be applicable.

I don't understand your attack regarding role-playing and my alleged desire to use the engine for something it wasn't intended for. It's as if you are saying my alternatives to shoot on sight have no place in this game, when I'd argue they clearly do. The aim of the game is survive, so if you want to play the game, then you will do whatever it takes to do so, including dropping a gun if someone tells you to and it would mean certain death if not. Again, don't go back to ALT+F4, this could happen in any game (also, couldn't I just immediately Alt+F4 after I'm shot to stop him getting my gear if I desired?).

Anyway, initial point still stands. Bandits are assholes by default, there are simply varying degrees of assholery.

Anyway - I didn't tell anyone how to play the game so I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth in future, I only question why does it always have to be shoot on sight? If Alt+F4 is your answer then as I said, this will always be applicable.

I don't understand your attack regarding role-playing and my alleged desire to use the engine for something it wasn't intended for. It's as if you are saying my alternatives to shoot on sight have no place in this game, when I'd argue they clearly do. The aim of the game is survive, so if you want to play the game, then you will do whatever it takes to do so, including dropping a gun if someone tells you to and it would mean certain death if not. Again, don't go back to ALT+F4, this could happen in any game (also, couldn't I just immediately Alt+F4 after I'm shot to stop him getting my gear if I desired?).

Anyway, initial point still stands. Bandits are assholes by default, there are simply varying degrees of assholery.

Oh, I may indeed have put words in your mouth. After all, I've lately read quite a few posts where people tell other people how to play in this particular sandbox. Might be I read into your message something that wasn't there. If so, sorry for that :(

Regarding Alt+F4: I've understood that several games keep characters in the game after disconnect (EVE comes to mind, and I believe there is some such functionality in WoT too). Such a mechanism would thwart disconnect-escapes. I'm hoping something like this gets implemented some time soon, and not just for measly 5 seconds after disconnect...

Regarding "the game is about survival": So everyone should go up north, drink from ponds and occasionally feed their tamagotchi with cooked meat? ;) ... The survival is not a challenge, so as survival game, the current alpha build fails. If I was somehow magically forced to treat the game just as a survival game, I'd change to another game :(

Personally, I consider the game a good PvP with nice survival/zombie flavour, but since the survival aspect of the game is so easy, the said survival aspect fails to entertain me. Playing PvP with a good squad on the other hand is often really nice, so that is how I play it. Killing fresh spawns doesn’t add to my experience, so I don’t go looking for unarmed players, but that doesn’t mean I don’t consider any player a legit target.

Of course I do understand there is a certain disparity here. I and others like me can impose my kill-on-sight play style on others, while others haven't been given proper tools for having a properly rewarding more-roleplay-approach to the game. That is bound to make me called an asshole from time to time. Not that I mind, really, though I don’t consider myself an asshole for playing the game the way I do.

Oh, I may indeed have put words in your mouth. After all, I've lately read quite a few posts where people tell other people how to play in this particular sandbox. Might be I read into your message something that wasn't there. If so, sorry for that :(

Regarding Alt+F4: I've understood that several games keep characters in the game after disconnect (EVE comes to mind, and I believe there is some such functionality in WoT too). Such a mechanism would thwart disconnect-escapes. I'm hoping something like this gets implemented some time soon, and not just for measly 5 seconds after disconnect...

Regarding "the game is about survival": So everyone should go up north, drink from ponds and occasionally feed their tamagotchi with cooked meat? ;) ... The survival is not a challenge, so as survival game, the current alpha build fails. If I was somehow magically forced to treat the game just as a survival game, I'd change to another game :(

Personally, I consider the game a good PvP with nice survival/zombie flavour, but since the survival aspect of the game is so easy, the said survival aspect fails to entertain me. Playing PvP with a good squad on the other hand is often really nice, so that is how I play it. Killing fresh spawns doesn’t add to my experience, so I don’t go looking for unarmed players, but that doesn’t mean I don’t consider any player a legit target.

Of course I do understand there is a certain disparity here. I and others like me can impose my kill-on-sight play style on others, while others haven't been given proper tools for having a properly rewarding more-roleplay-approach to the game. That is bound to make me called an asshole from time to time. Not that I mind, really, though I don’t consider myself an asshole for playing the game the way I do.

Just for clarity, I'm using the term 'asshole' in reference to the original poster's post. I don't really think the person that shoots on sight is an asshole. After all, they are playing the game as is intended - how they want to. I'm just pointing out that the act of shooting someone with blatant disregard for their actions, desires and threat level is 'asshole' behaviour. You can sugarcoat it by only shooting those who are armed or whatever, but a shoot-on-sight policy is still murder at the end of the day. Sure, sometimes you'll down someone and be rewarded with a bandit kill - somewhat justifying your policy, but there will be plenty of others where Joe Bloggs meets his demise when all he wanted was some NVG's so he could see in the dark.

Also, I'd just like to point out I think bandits are a necessary part of the game. Without it, as you allude to, it's simply far too easy and boring. Just grab a run of the mill weapon and head north into the wilderness. Just raid the small settlements for petty ammo and supplies. Bandits give the thrill of survival once you start exchanging fire with them - and from now on, when I am in the NWAF I will be a bandit myself. That's the one major downside to shoot on sight - it's infectious. I don't want to spend a lot of time getting to the NWAF just to be shot by someone who does not know my intentions, so from now on I'll be doing the same in that area of the map.

I too am a potential asshole, thanks to you assholes. :)

I completely agree. While your setup is clearly advanced, and respect to you for doing it, if one of your snipers in their suit spotted an unarmed guy running in their direction I am sure they wouldnt hesitate to down him/her. The OP suggests that, that would be being an 'asshole' but to me thats just wrong place at the wrong time. How would your guy know if he had a pistol in his pack or not?

Thank you (:

We try to not kill any unarmed players, but yea - like u said he could have a M1911 or whatever in his backpack, come to us and just kill us. And that would be HORRIBLE with our gear. :s

• Like 1

Guess I'm an asshole. Me and my mate kill everyone... EVERYONE. I see it as preventing a future death, what if they find a weapon and hunt me down? what then? Nip it in the bud.

One thing.

couldn't read cause of gay ass fucking colours

"Has no ethics, no matter if you are a new player begging that you are friendly or not."

A murderer is a murderer. There is nothing ethical about it. You can't compare a bandit to an 'asshole' because if you take away their titles, they are both murderers what ever way you look at it.

If I was a murderer in real life and I just killed old men, but spared old women... I am still an 'asshole' murderer.

Thank you (:

We try to not kill any unarmed players, but yea - like u said he could have a M1911 or whatever in his backpack, come to us and just kill us. And that would be HORRIBLE with our gear. :s

So, I'd like to say this, to all of these, I drew this up really quickly, I mean, its not fact or the truth or anything, just personal opinion on a possible new tier level for a bandit.

One thing.

I'm sorry to not appease you in my points, it's just personal opinion or notice, but I did edit some things to adjust it, and I mean usually, which means most of the time, of what I have encountered, and It's not assholish, if its a tactical force, but most of the time it's a 1 man team in the middle of chenro with a sniper rifle or assault rifle. I myself usually kill alot of people at a distance actually, but I mean, people who are Unequipped/Melee weapon, shouldn't be such a prime target sometimes, but I can't argue, killing people is fun, and when its in a team, it really feels like a family type organization,so, anyways.

Good luck!

Edited by SwiftEden

i think zombies need to be .. well.. fixed to start with so that they arent difficult just because they are buggy, but more difficult and more of them like body shots not killing with any gun, and not having to stop to hit you (which makes evasion 100% guaranteed aslong as your running) i think it will make it more interesting for both sides friendly survivor /bandit pvper both sides can enjoy both challenges at the moment tho its mostly all one sided (pvp) because the zombies are barely a challenge. if you want sole pvp why not just play cs, cod bc2, or normal arma II, i think rocket even said somewhere he wants it to be more about zombie survival.

As long as alt+F4 exists, you will never find a game where someone cannot quickly bail like this, so to apply it to my suggested scenario and make it sound as if it is specific to Day Z is a bit misleading. He could have missed his shot and then I could have DC'd, you can't use alt+F4 as an excusal for shoot on sight.

I might like to add here that I do not have a problem that the bandit shot me on sight. That's his perogative - and if you read my initial post again you will clearly see that I made no such demand that he gets involved in the 'roleplaying' as you put it. I merely questioned the bandit mentality of shooting immediately, your answer to which seemingly revolves alt+F4 and the games limitations for roleplaying - which by the way, as far as my suggestions went, I don't understand.

'Move another inch and you get shot', is pretty self explanatory. Nothing in game stops me complying with this. Likewise, 'Turn round and head forward slowly with your gun lowered/removed', is likewise as trivial. In fact, the games mechanics probably make this sort of 'roleplaying' easier on the bandit as he can clearly see if I am complying or not. It's not like counterstrike where I can fastswitch guns and bunnyhop out of the way in an instant. Anyway - I didn't tell anyone how to play the game so I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth in future, I only question why does it always have to be shoot on sight? If Alt+F4 is your answer then as I said, this will always be applicable.

Humm about the ''Drop your gun'' idea, a ''hostage'' system could be implemented, where you can idk grab the player from his back so he can't react, if you know what i mean :P

Also i don't think that you would stop if there were zombies following you...

survivors are ballsy man, i tried to help one out once, he wouldnt talk to me he ran to the nearest barn grabbed a hatchet and preceeded to run after me and my buddy(we had ghillies on and assult rifles) swinging like a wild man, ended up having to put him down. Point of the story is that you cant tell new players apart from bandits.

if you had a gun and dropped it i would laugh at ur dumbass and cap you. you quickly learn that the paranoia will fill the lungs of those who wish to make alliances and they'll quickly become scared of you, making teamplayt impossible unless u meet up with people on the forums, which i commonly do

i kill unarmed people for my own safety. i carry a spare gun and ammo in my pack, so i don't want it to be looted and used against me. also, i don't know if the person has well-armed friends nearby. last thing i want is someone who might try to tail me and report my movements to friends or clanmates.

Edited by Blakorr
  • Like 1