Tnoms

Building Gaming Desktop help

Alright so i wanna start pc gaming because im bored with playing consoles. The computer im on right now isnt for gaming, im trying to build an gaming desktop for under 500$ i wont go any higher than 600$ at the moment i can upgrade later on.

Im not sure what type of GPU and stuff i should get etc etc so can anyone help me out, I wanna be able to run most games with good quailty and no lag.Can anyone help me out?

Pffffft!

I do realize some people are tight on cash but if you want something that will rape any game you feed it, you are going to have to raise your minimum budget to at least $850.

Typical things you want:

8+ gb of ddr3

i7 (3+ Ghz not OC)

650W PSU

I'm not too handy with whats on the market for GPU's at the moment. Just get something that has 900+ mhz clock and 1100+ memory clock with 1gb+ onboard memory.

im only 18 years old got bills and stuff also schooling, so im tight i heard someone said they made a really good gaming pc for 500$ im not looking to play like a shit load of games like BF3, WOW , and stuff mostly just arma and day z. Like i said this is just to start i can always make upgrades later on

Edited by Tnoms

im only 18 years old got bills and stuff also schooling, so im tight i heard someone said they made a really good gaming pc for 500$ im not looking to play like a shit load of games like BF3, WOW , and stuff mostly just arma and day z

Arma2 engine is bad, i can run bf3 on ultra on my i3/GTX460 yet dayz struggles on low ;)

Get yourself a GTX560 / i5-2500k combo & you'll be fine.

Pffffft!

I do realize some people are tight on cash but if you want something that will rape any game you feed it, you are going to have to raise your minimum budget to at least $850.

Typical things you want:

8+ gb of ddr3

i7 (3+ Ghz not OC)

650W PSU

I'm not too handy with whats on the market for GPU's at the moment. Just get something that has 900+ mhz clock and 1100+ memory clock with 1gb+ onboard memory.

An i7 is not really need for games. My i5-2500k does just as well as an i7-2600k on the same exact video games

Unfortunately with your budget you won't be able to grab a 2500k unless you live near a Microcenter and do some great deal finding. I'll put something together for you on Newegg in a sec. Though, I'm assuming you need an OS but not the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers).

im only 18 years old got bills and stuff also schooling, so im tight i heard someone said they made a really good gaming pc for 500$ im not looking to play like a shit load of games like BF3, WOW , and stuff mostly just arma and day z

I am also 18. :)

Anyways, what most people don't realize is that if a computer can play BF3 on high settings, that DOES NOT mean they can instantly play DayZ on high settings. Hell, I can play BF3 on ultra with 25 fps but I need to play DayZ on normal with some options set to low. See what I'm getting at?

An i7 is not really need for games. My i5-2500k does just as well as an i7-2600k on the same exact video games

Unfortunately with your budget you won't be able to grab a 2500k unless you live near a Microcenter and do some great deal finding. I'll put something together for you on Newegg in a sec. Though, I'm assuming you need an OS but not the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers).

i will need a monitor thats it, but im not worried about that mostly just building it atm and the parts i should be ordering

Edited by Tnoms

Arma2 engine is bad, i can run bf3 on ultra on my i3/GTX460 yet dayz struggles on low ;)

Get yourself a GTX560 / i5-2500k combo & you'll be fine.

I feel like you failed to read his budget.

The Arma 2 engine is awful, though.

Edited by mirchandise

I feel like you failed to read his budget.

The Arma 2 engine is awful, though.

Like i know the american prices. In the UK shit is cheap.

If you cant afford a fairly decent pc now wait, you'll only regret it :)

Edited by Ejaculacid

Alright and if you can recommend a good monitor that would be helpful too. thanks

Do you live close to a Microcenter by chance?

Yeah about an hour away

Edited by Tnoms

Alright so i wanna start pc gaming because im bored with playing consoles. The computer im on right now isnt for gaming, im trying to build an gaming desktop for under 500$ i wont go any higher than 600$ at the moment i can upgrade later on.

Im not sure what type of GPU and stuff i should get etc etc so can anyone help me out, I wanna be able to run most games with good quailty and no lag.Can anyone help me out?

Heres a question. What do you have now?

I know pound for pound the intel i5 and i7s beat the competition, but seriously if you are on a tight budget try the AMD route. You can get a Phenom II x4 black for about $100 bucks. Slap that on a decent mobo a 8gbs ram 500gb hd 650w power and a decent $120 GPU you have a decent machine. And you can always upgrade up from there.

Regardless if you pick Intel or AMD, don't skimp too much on the Mobo. It counts for a lot when you start upgrading other things. I made that mistake on my first build :(

if you're on a budget, you really can't beat AMD CPUs and GPUs. They are usually 50-75% of the cost of the competitors equivalent products.

CPU: you can get a Phenom II x6 for around $100, or an FX 8-core for $150

GPU: a Radeon 6870 or 6950 will be your best options. You can get a 6950 on Newegg for $200 including BF3 and DiRT 3.

motherboard: go ASUS. their mid-range boards are around $80-100 and extremely reliable.

PSU: get a corsair 600w at the minimum. they are $50 and usually have rebates

Tower: a coolermaster tower is a great option, the good ones are ~$50

all this is about $500, with room for tax/shipping if applicable. be sure to checkout Newegg.com, they have great prices and cheap shipping

EDIT: oops forgot the RAM, Patriot makes a pack of 2x 4GB sticks for $50. still under $600.

Edited by Epsilon 349

if you're on a budget, you really can't beat AMD CPUs and GPUs. They are usually 50-75% of the cost of the competitors equivalent products.

CPU: you can get a Phenom II x6 for around $100, or an FX 8-core for $150

GPU: a Radeon 6870 or 6950 will be your best options. You can get a 6950 on Newegg for $200 including BF3 and DiRT 3.

motherboard: go ASUS. their mid-range boards are around $80-100 and extremely reliable.

PSU: get a corsair 600w at the minimum. they are $50 and usually have rebates

Tower: a coolermaster tower is a great option, the good ones are ~$50

all this is about $500, with room for tax/shipping if applicable. be sure to checkout Newegg.com, they have great prices and cheap shipping

EDIT: oops forgot the RAM, Patriot makes a pack of 2x 4GB sticks for $50. still under $600.

This isnt true anymore when your able to buy an I5 for $189.

And im an old AMD die hard.

AMD and NVIDIA cost about the same now days.

Not sure where you got 50-75%...

Edited by ThermoNuke

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: http://www.microcent...duct_id=0325874 89.99

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($27.99 @ Newegg)

Hard Drive: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($246.97 @ Newegg) or for 40 dollars cheaper a HD6950

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $627.89

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-07-31 00:29 EDT-0400)

Okay. This was a rush job, but it should set you on the right path. Note that without the monitor and OS I'm already over 600. I could have kept it under, but I decided to spend a good amount of cash on the GPU. You can skip the CPU cooler and Optical drive and save 40 dollars. But realize, that it will be difficult to build a decent gaming rig with a monitor and OS for under 600. Those two combined will cost you about 200 dollars, leaving 400 for the rig. The only other option is dipping into used stuff, which is perfectly viable, but its not the best option.

If you cant afford a fairly decent pc now wait, you'll only regret it :)

I'd follow this advice if I were you.

Edited by mirchandise

im trying to build one as well. my limit is probably around about $1300 (AU). any advice on specs?

Edited by rabidgerbil

pcgamer had an article build about a 500$ gaming rig..that was able to run most games and this was a year ago...you should google that

im trying to build one as well. my limit is probably around about $1300 (AU). any advice on specs?

1300 aud is roughly 1300 usd. I'll put something together for you.

• Like 1

http://game-central....-500-gaming-pc/

If i chose that would it be worth it or no? for the parts and go with windows 7

Remember im mostly gonna be playing Day Z

or would this be able to run games good

Parts list

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX AM3+ Socket

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 80+ Certified

CPU: AMD FX Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Quad Core

RAM: 8GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws Series

HDD: 500GB Seagate 7200 RPM Drive

Extra: AOC PCI High Performance Exhaust Fan

and then all i need is a monitor

Would this be a decent build to use for now, then upgrade later on? or how about the one in the link

Edited by Tnoms

1300 aud is roughly 1300 usd. I'll put something together for you.

thank, that would really help , just trying to get a good idea of what to look for etc. :)

just got to make sure its available in AUS because i would rather not pay shipping costs etc

Edited by rabidgerbil

Get a copy of windows 7 ultimate 64 from a university bookstore for $12. It will be an upgrade disk but you can still do a clean install with it.

What u want is an i5 8gb of ddr3 ram and graphics card id go nvidia gtx550ti sli linked with a cyclone nx550ti there not expensive and are awesome sli linked