Sign in to follow this  
Attic

Autogenerated maps

This is a suggestion in response to this post by the web team in the statistics thread:

Statistics affects game-play and so do website tools, eg the in-game "map" is pretty much useless now, and the sense of "explore for loot" is gone as people just go to specific spots based on map loot tables.

First of all, I know this is an idea for far far down the road, maybe the standalone version of DayZ.

Have a new unique autogenerated world on each server.

Benefits:

-No more/less loot maps, brings back the fun in exploring the world / searching for good loot.

-The map item gains more value.

-Always new "content" for veterans (if you know one map inside out, change to a new server)

-Vehicle spawns are not commonly known, so you might actually find one that hasn't been raided yet.

-People don't know which places are dangerous before they go there. More adventure!

Of course this is not easy to implement and a good map generation algorithm is probably very hard to do.

Also it would make meeting friends harder to do if you don't know a server well yet and don't have a map, which could be countered by some group spawning mechanics though.

I would really like to hear your ideas, criticism and thoughts about this. Fire away.

Edited by Attic
  • Like 3

I'm not sure how malleable the Arma Engine is regarding this kind of thing. If it is possible, I think the most feasible variant of this idea would be maintaining structure positions, but swapping out types. Ie, one server may have a lootable structure of medium value at Point A, but another server may just have a small hut.

One problem I foresee is; what happens if you log out INSIDE of a building, and switch to a server that doesn't have an enterable building there?

One problem I foresee is; what happens if you log out INSIDE of a building, and switch to a server that doesn't have an enterable building there?

Simple solution: Position is not saved across servers. You start off at a regular spawn point on a new server.

Of course there would be a need for a wider range of fixed spawns then (or randomizing their location), so you cannot easily be spawn killed or bump into others at spawn.

It's a cool idea but I rather want to see ONE big server that everyone plays on instead and that would make a random generated map kinda useless :P. But yes making the world more unknown would be amazing.

This was a "suggestion" that I made. I called it "the Holy Grail" of DayZ because I think it would be next to impossible to pull off. Having procedurally generated maps. The problem is, having your player information saved and globally accessible on any server in the world is only possible at the moment because there is only one world map. How do have procedurally generated maps shared across the Hive?

This was a "suggestion" that I made. I called it "the Holy Grail" of DayZ because I think it would be next to impossible to pull off. Having procedurally generated maps. The problem is, having your player information saved and globally accessible on any server in the world is only possible at the moment because there is only one world map. How do have procedurally generated maps shared across the Hive?

Hey, had not found the suggestion yet on my quick search on the forum. Can you point me to the thread? Would really be interested to read it.

Regarding hive server: I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the hive was only storing player related information (status/equipment/position). The world information (loot, corpses, vehicles etc) is saved on the server.

So the only additional thing the hive would have to save is one location for each player _per server_. And this is not even that necessary, it could just discard your position if you change servers.

This would encourage sticking to a server as well.

Yeah, the Hive records your vital statistics and location, which is only relevant for the map you're on. So as soon as you start having servers with different maps, potentially with a unique map, what happens when you join a different server? Can you imagine the carnage if your position is only saved per server? You'd get people joining a server all decked out amongst all the people spawning for the first time. Slaughter.

So yeah, I stand by my statement that this is the Holy Grail. The thread didn't get very far, by the way, so you're not missing much.

what happens when you join a different server? Can you imagine the carnage if your position is only saved per server? You'd get people joining a server all decked out amongst all the people spawning for the first time. Slaughter.

What good would it be to you if you start at the same x/y coordinates as you were on the last server, it's a completely new world anyway.

But you are right, spawn mechanics would have to be adjusted as I said above. I don't see the new vs veteran player issue though, the server could easily distinguish if a player spawns for the first time.

Not feasible due to the sheer size of the map. Not that I don't like the concept, it's just that it's a pipedream.

As I said, it's not something that we can hope for anytime soon, because it would take massive implementation time.

Still, it's not totally unrealistic, the map creation is a one time process when setting up a server. And there already are algorithms that do similar stuff like this.

Diablo 3 for example has something like this, although in a smaller and simpler version.

But well, I'm fine with the one map right now. Just saying that this would keep things interesting in the long run.

it could be done with the arrowhead part of arma 2, there you have a desert map (empty) and you can put down town modules.

if they would make a grassy desert and implement the town module as a random spawn and also create a new forest module then it can be done.. but roads would be lacking

i think with a little scripting and modding it could be done on that desert land in arma 2 OA, but then you would miss the forest etc.

Simple solution: Position is not saved across servers. You start off at a regular spawn point on a new server.

Of course there would be a need for a wider range of fixed spawns then (or randomizing their location), so you cannot easily be spawn killed or bump into others at spawn.

Far too much effort for the devs to go through just for a new map item. They should take a page out of Valve's book and let the community make some new maps (as in islands) that can be either approved or dissaproved depending on quality and if they aprove of one then other users can download it (for free during the alpha) and once they make it a standalone game they can charge a small fee (1 or £2) for downloading an extra map and give some of the profit to the developer(s). This way they have no argument about how long it would take the current devs to make an entire new map, because they can basically have dozens of decent developers making them at home for free. That would really stop people getting bored of the map and a nice way to include new loot items depending on the map.

Edited by GexAlmighty

I love it. This would only affect local spawn points for loot, and not your globally persistent character.

As it is, only helicopter crashes are random, am I right? Well, more things should be randomly placed. It would make the servers much more fun to explore.