Sign in to follow this  
AshB

Can you starve to death or die of thirst whilst logged out?

I only ask because 3 times in the last 5 days, ive logged out with full food/water levels and when ive logged in they're either red or flashing?

Nope. Your water and food icons will slowly continue to degrade as you're logged out, but they will never get below the flashing phase until you log in.

There's a small drain which will auto-use food/water when it absolutely have to. You can't die until you log in but you will have a small time window to get food and water

What is the reason behind this mechanic btw. ?

Why drain food when we're offline?

Doesn't really make much sense to me and it seems a bit unfair towards players who can only play for short periods per day.

So its been taken along with the new update. I think this is a good thing, I got a lot of love for this mod but I dont like the idea of being forced to log in twice a day to make sure im not starving to death, thats abit too Tamagotchi for me.

Doesn't really make much sense to me and it seems a bit unfair towards players who can only play for short periods per day.

So you can't just camp one place as easily and log back in with food and supplies respawned around you. Forces you to explore. And it's not unfair, you can't die from it, just collect 1 food 1 water for your relog

So you can't just camp one place as easily and log back in with food and supplies respawned around you. Forces you to explore. And it's not unfair' date=' you can't die from it, just collect 1 food 1 water for your relog

[/quote']

How does this prevent camping one place? At all?

If anything, this rewards camping in a place where food and water is likely to respawn, so that when you log in you can you have a good chance of either a) having necessary supplies nearby or b) replenishing the supplies you need to spend with ease.

The mechanic doesn't add anything to gameplay besides punishing people who are in a bad situation when they log out. That's not going to apply to everyone, and a large portion of players will be able to keep themselves amply supplied, but I don't feel that any player's character should be punished because that player has to deal with real life concerns. Bear in mind that this IS a punishment, not general disadvantage (the difference being that someone will always have more time to play than you so you are at a general disadvantage, but in this case you are actively punished for not playing).

I can understand why the mechanic was implemented, but I feel it needs to either be removed entirely or give the players MUCH more leniency. If it isn't possible to modify the decay rates of food and hunger whilst a player is offline, then I believe the best course of action is to remove the system.

Lets say (extreme example) someone plays DayZ for only 10 minutes each day (yeah I know, its exaggerated).

Due to this mechanic, every day when he logs in, he'll need food and drink.

After a week of this (a total playtime of 70minutes, barely more than an hour) he would've used up 7 units of water and 7 units of food. A player who continuously plays for 70 minutes would probably be fine with just 1-2 units of food and water.

You're wrong. They both would (maybe) need food/water when they log back in the next day.

The drain is very reduced when you're logged out. Aso of 1.5.4 you won't auto-use any food/water in your inventory, which is good. I like the system now, it makes sense and I don't see any reason why it should be removed.

They both would (maybe) need food/water when they log back in the next day.

someone plays DayZ for only 10 minutes each day (yeah I know' date=' its exaggerated)

...vs...

A player who continuously plays for 70 minutes[/quote']

Not wrong, not from a "food compared to playtime" point of view.

Both players (might) need food/water when they log back in.

The player who played for 70 minutes might have to drink or eat during the 70 minutes that he's playing. Depends on different variables.

Ofcourse, but thats not the point.

You dont need 7 units of food/drink in 70 minutes of continuous gameplay. (except for regaining blood, but thats a different matter).

The person logging in after a day only to play for 10 minutes however, (might) needs that food every time.

So if they both essential have the same playtime, why would one need more food than the other just because he distributed his playtime over a longer period?

So hard to understand?

I'm not someone who plays this mod regularly so everytime I do join and play for a little bit I always have to make sure I am logged off near a well and a town with hopefully cans of food. It actually makes me not want to play further because it feels like a chore I have to do. I am not against the system currently in place but it does hamper my experience.

EDIT: [NEW] Players no longer consume food/water offline BUT can still become starving offline (just eat when you login) P.S. you guys are pussies

Ofcourse' date=' but thats not the point.

You dont need 7 units of food/drink in 70 minutes of continuous gameplay. (except for regaining blood, but thats a different matter).

The person logging in after a day only to play for 10 minutes however, (might) needs that food every time.

So if they both essential have the same playtime, why would one need more food than the other just because he distributed his playtime over a longer period?

So hard to understand?

[/quote']

I see your point but I don't view it as a problem. It's fair for everyone who plays, even if you play 10 or 100 minutes. You can't die when you're not logged in so just make sure you have food and water when you log out. In fact, you should always carry food and water with you.

EDIT: [NEW] Players no longer consume food/water offline BUT can still become starving offline (just eat when you login) P.S. you guys are pussies

I was sure you would quote that one day :D

P.S. you guys are pussies

Well then go ahead and increase hunger/thirst by 100% to compensate for it, I wouldn't mind. Only thing I'm concerned about is that the current mechanic punishes players who play only for short times a day, which is not right.

(No this doesn't really apply to me and yes I always carry food with me)

The person who plays 10minutes per day for 7days still uses more food in 70minutes than the person who played 70minutes straight. It is a pretty terrible flaw in the design. The system in general makes the game feel like a chore.

Well its been out now for a couple of days. Is this case closed or did the hello kitty backpacks not make up for it?

I think it's fine. People are pussies.