Never

Use 'sleeping bags' to save session progress. Hopping/Alt+F4 fix

Straight forwards solution.

Give all players Tent/Sleeping Bag on spawn.

Change the system so session progress on each server is ONLY saved by 'save session & logout' option on Tent/S.Bag.

You alt+F4 cool, but everything you've done or picked up gets wiped. Also server hoppers will have to think twice if they skip out

Make it a 60-120 second animation or 'sleep/save' to encourage people to only save in a safe location.

Job. Fucking. Done.

Edited by Never
  • Like 4

No way. DayZ is so unstable atm, it is easy to lose connection. I dont want to lose hours of stuff because I dced.

• Like 3

Fucking LOL.

Can't please this community can you?

This would of course be an option for when Rocket manages (if he ever can) to get this Mod out of the fucked state its in and into a stable working game.

Its pretty obvious currently DayZ is almost unplayable, but hey lets just except that and stop having any ideas huh?

Not to mention at the moment its also a Alpha Mod. You are meant to be testing not holding back development because you want to keep your toys.

Anyone got anything to discuss about the idea, not their gear?

Edited by Never

Save points like in console games? hmm... maybe?^^

Save points like in console games? hmm... maybe?^^

I suppose you could look at it like that way, but i'm thinking more tent or sleeping bag in toolslot.

Portable logout/save point basically. Up to you were you use it and logout, so you'd still have the choice.

Edited by Never

Dissaproved strongly, sounds too much like Grand Theft Auto. What if you die, does it save that? what if you crash, would it save that? What if someone flattens your tent or destroys it, is it now impossible to save, are you now never allowed to log out? What if someone follows you to your tent or camps the location just waiting for you to log in because there is only /one/ place to spawn? What if the entire world of Chernarus is overtaken by hoards of tents because the million or so players all need them placed on every server? Does this also mean you need to find a tent on every single server to save stats, because tents are only saved and constant on one server which pretty much means if you want to play with your friends on another server you all need to find new tents at the same time.

That's my input. :)

• Like 1

Sounds fine but the loot should be findable until you log into another server. That is once tents are stable.

Maybe 'sleeping bag' is a better example then. I'll answer below.

Dissaproved strongly, sounds too much like Grand Theft Auto. What if you die, does it save that? what if you crash, would it save that? What if someone flattens your tent or destroys it, is it now impossible to save, are you now never allowed to log out? What if someone follows you to your tent or camps the location just waiting for you to log in because there is only /one/ place to spawn? What if the entire world of Chernarus is overtaken by hoards of tents because the million or so players all need them placed on every server? Does this also mean you need to find a tent on every single server to save stats, because tents are only saved and constant on one server which pretty much means if you want to play with your friends on another server you all need to find new tents at the same time.

That's my input. :)

the tent/bag would be a separate item to storage tents, so picture a sleeping bag rather than a tent.

It would be used only for save point, not storage. So none of your points linked to tents are a concern. :)

As for if you die.. Err its a perma-death game. And if the game crashes will shit, but you'd lose some progress in a crash anyway.

Please have a look at my very similar suggestion for an Alt+F4/Server Hopping solution. It is similar in that I encourage to implement what I call a special "ritual" to logout gracefully. But instead of not saving character progress on a disruptive logout (eg Alt+4 or actual connection loss), I suggest to let the players character fall unconscious for a couple of minutes, before it is removed from the game world.

The biggest problem I see with this is, if you're doing long stretches of gameplay at a time, you risk losing it all unless your character takes power naps every 30 minutes, which would totally kill the game for me.

I do like the idea of making saving your character a manual event, and here's my suggestion:

Make the save progress an action that takes time, like you suggest, but make it something that can be done more frequently, and makes sense to do at any time of day. My example would be having the character "write" in a journal. You don't have to actually "write" anything, unless players want to get creative, but you physically have to stop somewhere safe, take a knee, pull out a note pad, and spend a few seconds with your guard down in order for your character to save. Plus a notepad wouldn't be as big of an inventory hog as a sleeping bag. It could easily fill a single equipment slot or be a non-inventory persistent attribute to the player.

• Like 2

It's an interesting idea could work, but personally I'm gonna get fucked since I always forget the save stuff xd

Players would still choose lost progress over death so this wouldnt work. Only solution is for a timer that keeps the players body in game after they log out. As for hoping there are several good ideas posted, my favorite is limiting login/out to areas 300km away from nearest z spawn.

i also posted a similar idea here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51776-suggestion-an-idea-to-solving-losing-items-on-character/

I will read this and the other post linked by dev0 and add the main points to mine to try collate the idea into one seamless idea that we can all agree on, and of course link back to these original post for reference

Please have a look at my very similar suggestion for an Alt+F4/Server Hopping solution. It is similar in that I encourage to implement what I call a special "ritual" to logout gracefully. But instead of not saving character progress on a disruptive logout (eg Alt+4 or actual connection loss), I suggest to let the players character fall unconscious for a couple of minutes, before it is removed from the game world.

+1

And how would this work for me? I have bad internet that drops a lot, so I would unfairly lose my gear due to my internet being terrible.

Or . .

You can just shoot to kill, and not spray and pray.

How can they log out of they are already dead.

How about if you log in to a server where your tent/bag was not placed as you logged out you "awake" at the same location with the tent/bag in its special spot in the inventory.

Or you awake always with you tent/bag already packed...

The only diefferencs to haw it works nor is that you have to place yout tent/bag before you can log out...

This special inventory spot for y<our sleeping-gear is a cool idea.

Also if you lose connection or alt+f4 you get resetted to your previos sleeping spot.

Well, in my opinion they could implement if you alt f4 you get completely wiped anyways...

Edited by FeeLiX

As Rocket stated on his

the ArmA II engine does not allow it to have players characters remain in the world as entities, after the player drops out, which would be required to implement the solution I proposed. However, he also stated that he is currently talking to Bohemia about how to make this possible. Maybe we will see an ArmA II patch in the future that will enable this and then I'd expect DayZ to implement a scheme similar to my suggestion. The other option most likely is that we will have to wait until DayZ is released stand-alone. Edited by dev0

Think of this, you worked 6 Hours getting to NW Airfield and decide to D/C Start to put Sleeping bag down and you die. Another thing, worked another 6 hours getting lots of stuff NV Goggles, Range finder, AS50, M9SD and then you lose connection. All of that is gone, No.

The Save option also introduces another exploit such as fast travelling. Let's say you save at a safe distance from the NWAF for instance... you arrive there and it's either camped, or already empty of anything usefull or good. Why bother evacuating through zeds or other threats tat may arise when you can simply abort and be isntaspawned in the safe area again?

I agree that the only way to deal with this is what was sugested about keeping the avatar in the gameworld for a few minutes (it's usually 2 in MMOs I think) while keeping you from logging into another during that time. I know it can't be done for now but to me it appears this is the closest we can get to a fair solution.

I'm not sure what can be done for the time being... I hought of alternatives, but each one produces a different exploit.

Regular interval saves allow for teleporting and I don't even wanna think what would happen (in case the saves are automatic) to a player on a chopper that DCed and reverted to a time where he was flying (it would be lulz worthy for everyone else I'm sure).

Uncounscious logins would punish lamers and legits alike. Even if the area you logged out was considered safe, there's no telling when and where a player or zombie will be when you log back on.

Automatic methods of punishing players for fast logins logouts may and will affect legits that are looking for good servers or frequent DCers/Crashers. And assigning human eyes to look at logs is just a monster of a shore to be possible.

Even the logout timer solution mostly solves the Alt+F4 to avoid death problem. If you are on low population servers, (assuming the standard) 30 second proper logout "rituals" isn't that much since it removes your character from the gameworld at the end(and it should not place you at further risk if you take the 30 seconds). It minimizes the problem considerably, but it wont eliminate server hopping. I guess hopping can only be dealth with by keeping one character per server, but as far as i've seen, Rocket doesn't want to take the mod in that direction for now.

Cheers.

Id rather deal with DCing than go through all of that shit.

To lazy to click 'save'?

Not to mention that if people go to shit people would ALTF4 if they knew it meant their session would be reverted.

Use a whole clip of your gun in a town and find no loot? Alt+f4. Rejoin and try again.

No thanks. There has to be other better ways to solve the altf4 issue.

The biggest problem I see with this is, if you're doing long stretches of gameplay at a time, you risk losing it all unless your character takes power naps every 30 minutes, which would totally kill the game for me.

I do like the idea of making saving your character a manual event, and here's my suggestion:

Make the save progress an action that takes time, like you suggest, but make it something that can be done more frequently, and makes sense to do at any time of day. My example would be having the character "write" in a journal. You don't have to actually "write" anything, unless players want to get creative, but you physically have to stop somewhere safe, take a knee, pull out a note pad, and spend a few seconds with your guard down in order for your character to save. Plus a notepad wouldn't be as big of an inventory hog as a sleeping bag. It could easily fill a single equipment slot or be a non-inventory persistent attribute to the player.

Great idea! and it will put bandits to good use to get rid of people who server hop for loot :D