Gogster (DayZ)

"Sorry you may have been a friend, you just weren't worth the risk"

RayPugh made that interesting quote in reply to a different thread.

He got me thinking.

Is the lack of co-op/willingness to wait and see if someone can help you out or you help them out because the zombies are not enough of a threat?

If the zombies were considerably tougher, in a variety of ways, that it became suicide to even attempt to go to a supermarket, hospital or military encampment without colleagues, would that encourage team play? Would that be the catalyst for people grouping up and stop shooting each other so often?

Or would that flood the forums with "teh zombie iz too hard waaaaaa?"

Over to you fine people.

Edited by Gogster

Zeds could be a lot harder to kill and I don't think it would change too much.

I think rewarding group play instead of trying to force it is a better route.

• Like 3

Isn't working together a reward? You can get to the spawn points alive instead of dead?

I think the reason most people kill is to get the loot from the players and the fear that they might be killed if they don't kill first. Not to mention the phrase "Trust no one" is heavily found through the forums, and server a like. I think it is just a mentality that has been formed and it will be very hard to get people to deviate from it.

I like like playing solo,

QFT. I prefer to play solo, forcing me to group in a sandbox makes no sense.

I like like playing solo,

QFT. I prefer to play solo, forcing me to group in a sandbox makes no sense.

There is that, but why play a multi-player game then?

• Like 1

Isn't working together a reward? You can get to the spawn points alive instead of dead?

No, working together should be rewarded.

You can't penalize one type of gameplay to force people into another type of gameplay.

Edit. Autocorrect was being silly.

Edited by Swineflew

Harder Z wont change it. People will still KoS, maybe even more, because it will then be easier to get gear by killing another player than by scavenging loot spawns.

Harder Z wont change it. People will still KoS, maybe even more, because it will then be easier to get gear by killing another player than by scavenging loot spawns.

Now this is a good point.

However if we take this back to day zero (pun intended) what would you kill them with? You'd generally be armed with a melee weapon because the weapon spawn points would be unavailable to you.

Yes, once you've got a weapon you could kill another player, but it would reduce the amount of weapons people could get their hands on and facilitate the need to team play to get others.

So you think multiplayer just means co-op?!

ok....

Not necessarily, but to say we shouldn't do something because you want to lone wolf is a little conceited.

No, working together should be rewarded.

You can't penalize one type of gameplay to force people into another type of gameplay.

Edit. Autocorrect was being silly.

I don't agree with you.

All games force a certain type of gameplay, Rocket believe DayZ doesn't, but it does - by virtue of no ramifications for team play within the world, it is chaos. Is that not a style of play?

Not necessarily, but to say we shouldn't do something because you want to lone wolf is a little conceited.

You realize that you're saying the same thing about solo play right.....?

we need to have as many options, and as few restrictions, as possible.

if you take away the option to kill anyone you can get in your sights, this will become just another shitty shooter with no hope for the future.

we need to have as many options, and as few restrictions, as possible.

if you take away the option to kill anyone you can get in your sights, this will become just another shitty shooter with no hope for the future.

No one is saying to take it away. The suggestion is to make grouping up more worthwhile. At the moment there's no reason, aside from a minor safety increase.

You realize that you're saying the same thing about solo play right.....?

Not really, you have a choice - you may have to group for a short period to grab yourself something, but you can go back to being a bandit as soon as you have got what you want.

It's more about giving a reason to group.

No one is saying to take it away. The suggestion is to make grouping up more worthwhile. At the moment there's no reason, aside from a minor safety increase.

Oh come on, minor safety increase? It's easier to get loot, heck clans are able to build tent cities and hoard vehicles and do whatever they want.

There are benefits to team play, just not to trusting strangers.

What are you talking about? I didnt say anything about what how you should or shouldnt play. I play majority solo. If you wanna group, then group. Arbitrarily forcing players to group is fucking stupid. and pretty much goes agianst the whole point of this mod.. go play Borderlands or some shit...

edit/ also, playing solo is already pretty fucking hard and Im always at a disadvantage in 90% of situations I come across, but you want to make grouping even more rewarding?

Edited by The Darkthrone

What are you talking about? I didnt say anything about what how you should or shouldnt play. I play majority solo. If you wanna group, then group. Arbitrarily forcing players to group is fucking stupid. and pretty much goes agianst the whole point of this mod.. go play Borderlands or some shit...

It's not forcing - it's a type of game play to achieve an aim. Right now there's no need to group whatsoever unless you're stupid enough to try and gun your way into a supermarket.

Oh come on, minor safety increase? It's easier to get loot, heck clans are able to build tent cities and hoard vehicles and do whatever they want.

There are benefits to team play, just not to trusting strangers.

Nothing you can do about clans I don't think.

Perhaps the idea of humanity will work and this discussion will become a moot point.

How about something completely different?

How about.... increasing zombie AI? I know the whole thing is an absolute bitch to code, but what about making them have basic flanking instincts, make them able to crawl/stand/crouch dynamically, etc?

Also, how about making them a bit more scary? Right now they're basically NPCs that shuffle around and moan. Why don't we give them glowing yellow eyes or something, and make them laugh maniacally or screech randomly? I mean, when I saw 28 Weeks Later, that shit scared me. What makes those "rage-infected" so much more chilling than the DayZ zeds?

• Like 1

It is better to work together already.

If the situation was sorted out in regards to the 'ever full' ammo mags, then team play would be even more crucial.

Perhaps the idea of humanity will work and this discussion will become a moot point.

No, Its just that your going about it completely wrong.

I don't want a nice world in dayz. Being nice would devalue. The world would be less scary. It makes the game that you have to deal with arseholes. Arsehole hoarders, arsehole snipers, clan sissies and so on. :)

Changing zombies is not the answer to encourage teaming up.

Reward teamwork while not making solo play harder. That is the best solution.